RTS games, looking for some 'racy' ideas... :D

Started by
37 comments, last by Dan Violet Sagmiller 11 years, 3 months ago
An idea inspired by C&C's story line: What if one of the race options was the Tiberium?

Game play based on critical mass and spreading to collect power, the normal races would be forced to track your movements and try to contain you. Battling you directly could net them resource boosts, your core bases become resource nodes they can attempt to pacify and control if you lack the energy reserves to repel them. On the other hand their own bases and battlefields become fertile ground for you to establish new colonies of your substance and give them a massive jump start in growth if they fail to keep you from taking a foothold. Your goal would be to claim enough territory that you can gather your energy at a rate faster than other sides could combat you, and then you overwhelm them in a wave of infectious materials.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Advertisement

[quote name='TheChubu' timestamp='1358030415' post='5020872']
Something probably difficult to balance with more traditional factions but also probably very fun to play with, nomads. It could be prehistoric nomads, hi-tech nomads, magical alien nomads, whatever. The fundamental thing is nomads. They have to move around constantly (because reasons).

Think about the mobile base of Command & Conquer, but with all sort of constructions.
[/quote]

I.e. instead of building bases that are solid, or grounded bunkers, everything could be built as a vehicle. mobile. Perhaps they lack defenses, but instead can move their whole base as easily as moving a squad of troops. perhaps they are best with understanding the environment and how to use it. I think this could be effective, but my current design needs something more permanent. But since my plans are not permanent yet, I'll keep this in mind.

Moltar - "Do you even know how to use that?"

Space Ghost - “Moltar, I have a giant brain that is able to reduce any complex machine into a simple yes or no answer."

Dan - "Best Description of AI ever."

I like to do a little mix and matching with race ideas. If your doing a scifi game, try to take a fantasy based thing and revamp it in a way that fantasy would do it.

For example: Dragons. Everyone knows what they are but if im in a super futuristic alien setting then what if I introduce dragons as the aliens? Just cause they are aliens doesnt mean you have to change the way they look.

If you read a little into World of warcraft, the orcs are technically aliens. Threw me for a loop x.x

I like to do a little mix and matching with race ideas. If your doing a scifi game, try to take a fantasy based thing and revamp it in a way that fantasy would do it.

For example: Dragons. Everyone knows what they are but if im in a super futuristic alien setting then what if I introduce dragons as the aliens? Just cause they are aliens doesnt mean you have to change the way they look.

If you read a little into World of warcraft, the orcs are technically aliens. Threw me for a loop x.x

They totally stole that from Warhammer. Dragons as aliens is done a little bit in literature. Technically the Pern series by Anne McCaffery is sci-fi even though it might seem like fantasy at first. Also some crappy sci fi movies have dragons hatching from asteroids and shit. And then one where they create a dragon in a lab from ancient DNA.

[quote name='AltarofScience' timestamp='1358192548' post='5021543']
They totally stole that from Warhammer. Dragons as aliens is done a little bit in literature. Technically the Pern series by Anne McCaffery is sci-fi even though it might seem like fantasy at first. Also some crappy sci fi movies have dragons hatching from asteroids and shit. And then one where they create a dragon in a lab from ancient DNA.

[/quote]

Man have i been out of it for a while. Those scifi movies drive me crazy.

There was a game I played a while back where the race was all demon summoners and they had no structures. Just guys that summon more guys. Universe at war had a race where their structures were huge walkers. So in effect, they are a unit driven faction.

A game I got in the works involves an AI that controls the army, kinda like a mechanical zerg of a sorts. It can take wrecked tanks and buildings and turn 'em into resources to make more. When you apply an upgrade, it's more like a software patch. When your units recieve the patch (at your coice in time), they need to shutdown to install the update.

Ha, I would play that.

How about something based around crystals like the Kryptonian ones from Superman -- when used correctly they're able to grow crystaline structures or even land-masses which take on certain properties based on their surrounding environment? I don't really have ideas for similar mobile units, but it could be an interesting idea for structures.

- Jason Astle-Adams

How about something based around crystals like the Kryptonian ones from Superman -- when used correctly they're able to grow crystaline structures or even land-masses which take on certain properties based on their surrounding environment? I don't really have ideas for similar mobile units, but it could be an interesting idea for structures.

The Tok'ra used crystals for construction in a similar fashion.

A faction where its based on illusions made real. You have your main guy who conjures up his illusions, be it buildings or units or the illusion buildings can create more illusions. You can summon illusions of your leader (but only a few) to help keep him alive. To keep players from running their leader to a corner and hiding him, anything he summons can only exist within a certain range of him. If he moves out of range they fade away only to comeback when he moves back in range. There could even be sub-illusionist so that you can take them on assaults on enemy bases.

[quote name='Kenji Kousagi' timestamp='1358254210' post='5021783']

If he moves out of range they fade away only to comeback when he moves back in range
[/quote]

I like this. the idea that there are illusion buildings that take damage and give damage or do actual things in the game. And you need your character to stay within range of them, or they fade out & stop working. Then, moving back in range and they activate. I like the idea of there being traps, like a dozen turrets, and as the enemy troops approach, a couple of these conjurer characters approach at the sides, and dozens of defensive turrets show up.

I also like the idea that if another unit is in a turret's spot when the conjurer shows up, that the turret does not reappear/activate. however, as soon as they walk out from under it, it snaps into place. I also like crossing the Terran Satellite with this. How from a distance, you can see all things (including cloaked). Except that this would make the turrets visible to the opponent in this case, providing limited activation time.

Then the ability can double, where if you are being over run, you can deactivate it, and all the buildings dissapear into a deactivated state. If they are on fire, the fire will still be there when they re-appear, but no damage will be taken while they were deactivated.

Moltar - "Do you even know how to use that?"

Space Ghost - “Moltar, I have a giant brain that is able to reduce any complex machine into a simple yes or no answer."

Dan - "Best Description of AI ever."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement