• Create Account

Networking C++, don't see the packet in wireshark

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 SonicD007   Members   -  Reputation: 457

0Likes

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm messing around with sockets and I'm trying to send a simple packet using udp to a server.  As of now, I'm just trying to see if the packet is being sent using wireshark.  However, I don't see anything being sent.  Is there anywhere I messed up here?  (Aside from the system("PAUSE") and pretty much no error checking)

#include <iostream>
#include <WinSock2.h>
#include <string>

#pragma comment(lib, "WS2_32.lib")
using namespace std;

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
WSADATA info;
WSAStartup(MAKEWORD(2,2), &info);
int client = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, IPPROTO_UDP);
if ( client < 0)
{
cout << "Error creating socket" << endl;
system("PAUSE");
return 1;
}
cout << "Socket created" << endl;

sockaddr_in clientinfo;
clientinfo.sin_family = AF_INET;
clientinfo.sin_addr.S_un.S_addr = inet_addr("127.0.0.1");
clientinfo.sin_port = htons(4511);

if (bind(client, (const sockaddr *)&clientinfo, sizeof(clientinfo))< 0)
{
cout << "Error binding socket" << endl;
system("PAUSE");
return 1;
}
cout << "Socket binded." << endl;

cout << "You may begin..." << endl;
string message = "";

sockaddr_in server;
server.sin_family = AF_INET;
server.sin_addr.S_un.S_addr = inet_addr("127.0.0.1");
server.sin_port = htons(4510);
while (message != "quit")
{
getline(cin, message);
if (message != "")
{
int i = sendto(client, message.c_str(), strlen(message.c_str() + 1), 0, (sockaddr *)&server, sizeof(server));
cout << "Packet Sent: " << i << " Bytes" << endl;
message = "";
}
}

return 0;
};

Thanks. 

EDIT: the format got messed up from the copy/paste

Edited by SonicD007, 23 January 2013 - 07:46 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 KulSeran   Members   -  Reputation: 2538

3Likes

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

You are probably hitting this issue: http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/Loopback

You aren't really sending any network traffic by hitting 127.0.0.1 since that is a special address. Thus by default nothing shows up during inspection.

#3 NewDisplayName   Members   -  Reputation: 359

0Likes

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

Quite a few possibilities for not seeing packets getting transferred. Firstly check if you're not behind some VPN or anything.

95% of issues with wireshark not giving expected capture output is due to VPN, firewall, etc kind of troubles.

Then you need to check if there is some torrent network up on your machine. Torrent softwares tend to screw up Wireshark bigtime.

Actually, most of the issues with Wireshark not working, unless you're on Mac, are related to above 2 reasons.

And ofcourse, most popular reason is running capture on wrong network device. :-)

#4 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8884

0Likes

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:09 AM

You are probably hitting this issue: http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/Loopback

You aren't really sending any network traffic by hitting 127.0.0.1 since that is a special address. Thus by default nothing shows up during inspection.

Sending it to your local IP should be a workaround, though you might need to make a firewall exception. I've seen both cases happen, actually - the system trying to be helpful and resolving the local IP to localhost and nothing happening, as well as the packet bouncing off the router. Right now, for instance, my linux box resolves my local IP to ray.lan (my box), and my WAN (internet) IP to dsldevice.lan (the router), so in the former, the packets I send are going through the loopback interface, and in the latter, the router is just echoing back my pings.

If worst comes to worst, you can always create a virtual local network.

Edited by Bacterius, 24 January 2013 - 02:14 AM.

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#5 Khatharr   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3002

0Likes

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:39 AM

I had the same problem on XP with both loopback and local IP. I haven't messed with it on Win7 yet. Loopback packets get handled without going all the way down the network stack, so wireshark doesn't get to see them. I eventually just looped through my router (cat5 to router, router to wifi card) so I could watch my traffic.

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

#6 SonicD007   Members   -  Reputation: 457

0Likes

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:31 AM

Thanks everyone!  I still don't see it in wireshark when I try sending it through my local IP but I'll give it another try using my WAN ip when I get up to NAT.  On the bright side, my simple server is receiving the messages from my simple chat program biggrin.png

EDIT: I see the packet when sending outside my private network

Edited by SonicD007, 24 January 2013 - 07:08 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS