• Create Account

XNA 4.0 Tutorial: Mario Clone

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
14 replies to this topic

#1 Scott Haley   Members   -  Reputation: 110

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

Hi All!

I am currently working on a XNA 4.0 tutorial and I thought this would be a good place to share it.

I am going to walk you through the process of creating a 2D game (mostly) from scratch.

I have only finished one episode so far, the more attention it gets the faster the videos will get made. wink.png

If you have any questions or comments let me know either on here or in the youtube video comment section!

And here is the first episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T1Ey6KJr48 

Sponsor:

#2 thade   Members   -  Reputation: 1652

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

So, I have two responses to this.

First off, I don't think this is the right place to post this (expect a mod will move it shortly).

Secondly, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but MS is moving to drop XNA support.

Total Biscuit talking about it:

sad.png

Source article: http://www.shacknews.com/article/77672/microsoft-xna-to-be-retired-casting-doubt-on-xbox-live

It's hardly imminent, but something to keep in mind. Otherwise, I applaud your efforts and impetus.

Edited by thade, 04 February 2013 - 03:01 PM.

I was previously serratemplar; a name I forfeited to share a name with an angry rank-bearing monkey.

http://thadeshammer.wordpress.com/

#3 Scott Haley   Members   -  Reputation: 110

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

Hmm.. that sucks.

Well, nevertheless, I think I will continue my tutorial series.  I think there are still people wanting to learn XNA and it should help with game design in general, not just XNA.

As I am actually new to this site (friend told me to post this here), where would be a good place to post this kind of thing?

#4 moneal2001   Members   -  Reputation: 607

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

Hmm.. that sucks.

Well, nevertheless, I think I will continue my tutorial series.  I think there are still people wanting to learn XNA and it should help with game design in general, not just XNA.

As I am actually new to this site (friend told me to post this here), where would be a good place to post this kind of thing?

I think the best place would have been the For Beginners forum.

#5 thade   Members   -  Reputation: 1652

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

I mean, I'm not a mod, but were I to guess, For Beginners (assuming its an entry-level tutorial series), General Programming or the XNA/library specific sub forum (as this particular forum "Game Design" is about specifically that, where XNA is a tool to build games and not design them), or possibly Announcements. Definitely any of those three are more appropriate than this one. :)

I may be mistaken, but that is my understanding.

I was previously serratemplar; a name I forfeited to share a name with an angry rank-bearing monkey.

#6 Scott Haley   Members   -  Reputation: 110

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

Thanks guys!

I'll move it there then!

#7 thade   Members   -  Reputation: 1652

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

I would PM a mod and/or edit your lead post in here to explain what you're doing. They frown on "cross posting". They're pretty busy so at-a-glance they may infer that's what you're doing.

#8 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 10000

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

We don't specifically have a tutorials forum. "Your Announcements" seems like a reasonable fit.

Thread moved.

Tristam MacDonald - Software Engineer @Amazon - [swiftcoding]

#9 MatsK   Members   -  Reputation: 226

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:43 AM

All XNA developers will be moving to Monogame in the future.

#10 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

Hi All!

I am currently working on a XNA 4.0 tutorial and I thought this would be a good place to share it.

I am going to walk you through the process of creating a 2D game (mostly) from scratch.

I have only finished one episode so far, the more attention it gets the faster the videos will get made. wink.png

If you have any questions or comments let me know either on here or in the youtube video comment section!

Hey man, have you made any more tutorials?

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#11 Scott Haley   Members   -  Reputation: 110

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

Hi All!

Hey man, have you made any more tutorials?

I've done one more since posting the topic, but I have kinda taken a break for a bit since the videos weren't getting much attention.

I will probably start doing more once the semester is over.

#12 Scott Haley   Members   -  Reputation: 110

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:54 PM

I've done two more videos for this tutorial!

Here's the second video:

And the third:

I would love some feedback! biggrin.png

#13 Sacaldur   Members   -  Reputation: 504

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:01 AM

Don't worry about the XNA drop by Microsoft: your viewers can apply most of the knowledge to the XNA alternatives. ;)

And what's about MonoXNA and ANX? (It's not an ironic question: I'm working on a XNA Game and I will move to one of them in the future.)

#14 DigitalSavior   Members   -  Reputation: 189

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:52 PM

I will check out those YouTube videos later.

Don't worry about the XNA drop by Microsoft: your viewers can apply most of the knowledge to the XNA alternatives. ;)

And what's about MonoXNA and ANX? (It's not an ironic question: I'm working on a XNA Game and I will move to one of them in the future.)

I think they're all pretty similar in nature.  I would recommend Monogame.  It seems to be the most complete and has a stable release out.  It also supports the most platforms if I'm not mistaken.

#15 Scott Haley   Members   -  Reputation: 110

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:53 PM

I will check out those YouTube videos later.

I think they're all pretty similar in nature.  I would recommend Monogame.  It seems to be the most complete and has a stable release out.  It also supports the most platforms if I'm not mistaken.

Should note though that to publish to the app store and play store, it costs $300 each.

Still a really interesting concept.  I have plans in the future to create a game for windows using monogame.  The plan is to publish on the other platforms if I make enough money from the windows version.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS