Sony and the PS4, I'm Impressed. Your Thoughts?

Started by
64 comments, last by warhound 11 years, 2 months ago

I see. but how will latency affect branch prediction? By worsening the miss prediction hit by having to wait more for instruction fetches?

All depends on whether the alternate branch is in the cache -- In the case of small branches (if/else, switch, loops), the alternative branch is already in the cache, so there ought to be no discernable effect compared to a "normal" memory system. Rumors say the 8 CPUs are divided into two groups of four, with 2megs shared cache (L3, I guess, maybe L2) between each four cores, so there's plenty of room for code and data, especially considering that most of the "big-data" tasks will be offloaded to GPU in many cases, and so won't compete for space.

That said, there definately will be higher latencies to memory, its just that code that's efficient otherwise is going to amortize that initial latency pretty well I think. If you're jumping around in code or data willy-nilly, you'll probably feel it, but you'll just do your best to avoid that. In any event, it remains to be seen what the impact or "reasonalbe" code might be.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Advertisement

I like the fact they've not gone high-risk... keep the wonderful dual-shock but add in Kinect-like system and movement stuff... don't make it online only, etc.

PS3 is already our main TV media platform for Netflix + DVD so hopefully we will look at upgrading once the first rush has gone through.

www.simulatedmedicine.com - medical simulation software

Looking to find experienced Ogre & shader developers/artists. PM me or contact through website with a contact email address if interested.

1. They refused to show the actual console, so, knowing Sony and their shadiness, I'm more than confident that the PS4 is going to be a big fat monster.

I'm continually surprised by the people making a big deal over not seeing an empty plastic box on the stage. In this day in age there's so many aspects to a console: the online ecosystem, the user experience, the developer platforms, the hardware specs, the games itself...is the look console itself really so important compared to those things?

Well, we get to know a lot about a console by seeing it physically. What's the video output? Just HDMI, or will there be component cables as well? How big is the thing? Is it big enough to even fit under my TV at all? And, most importantly, is there a disc drive on the thing? That's a very important question that no one is sure of yet. We would know this without being told if we could just look at the thing. Although I'm not discounting physical design in the least.

The video outputs and disc drive are on the official spec sheet.

It sounds like a turn around for Sony where they are using common sense this time instead of getting too big for their boots. A simple system with good power and coming clean on why there will be no backwards compatibility with the previous generation is a good start. Even though a lack of BC will hurt its sales its a step to earning back customer trust.

There are now two factors Sony MUST get right: Price and a VERY strong launch line up. If its over £350 on release and they have a weak line up similar to that of the PS2 and PS3 it will bomb. Without any previous generation BC and the hype of "Its a powerful BR player for a cheap price!" its got a long and hard road ahead of it.

Speaking personally, if it plays PS1 and PS2 disks and is about £300, then I'm game for it. I do have a PS3 with a small collection of games, but I won't lose sleep over such lack of BC. But it will depend on what games are avaliable for it...

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

I wonder if they'll support PS1, PS2, AND PS3 games through software emulation. I'm sure they can software emulate PS1 and PS2, but I'd surprised if they can do SE for the PS3.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

I wonder if they'll support PS1, PS2, AND PS3 games through software emulation. I'm sure they can software emulate PS1 and PS2, but I'd surprised if they can do SE for the PS3.

There was a rumor they'd use Gaikai to do it. I don't think they said anything at the launch announcement though so who knows.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

Wikipedia implies that they'll use their Gaikai service (an OnLive competitor they bought last year) to stream PS3, PS2, and PS1 games (and possibly even PS4 games), citing these two articles. Gaikai has also been buying domain names like "playstation-cloud.com".

This probably means games will need to be repurchased, and that only games Sony can license will be available. Interestingly, it seems Sony wants it to "work with PS4, PS3, Vita and some smartphones and tablets." (according to IGN), and ofcourse, Sony had mentioned Gaikai integrated into their smart TVs back when they bought Gaikai (and Gaikai's website mentions Samsung in conjunction to Tablets and smart TVs). It may be that you won't even need a PS4 to play PS4 games! laugh.png

Supposedly, Sony is "highly recommending" that PS4 games that are downloadable on the console itself, will allow instant play via Gaikai while the local digital-copy of the game continues to download in the background, and that gamers will be able to sample games before deciding to buy them (which was one of the original reasons Gaikai was created).

I wonder if the PS4 has an specialized video stream de-compression chip integrated into its hardware to cut down on the feed delay? That's something OnLive was playing around with.

So basically now I'll be getting Sony OnLive for Christmas? LOL. Why am I buying a PS4 again? (note: I understand that what you two mentioned is all speculation.)

What that said, Maybe Next Xbox (that's the name now right?) will stream Xbox and Xbox 360 games. **crosses fingers for Steel Battalion controllers**

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

As someone who's owned a lot of consoles and computers throughout his life (BBC Micro, Spectrum, Atari ST, Amiga, Dreamcast, Gamecube, PS, Xbox etc.), I was thoroughly impressed. I was happy that Sony chose to keep the Bluray drive in place (as well as Move controller) and expand on using an x86 chip in a new way. Obviously the active Net connection helps. I think the instant-system-start idea is also great and a very ingenius use of adapting current available tech. Does this mean the new PS4 hard drive might have flash built in? Sounds like it.

One thing I certainly felt that Sony's system brings is a new dimension in game-making, in that ironically because of the PS4s involvement, it would probably start to also help improve the quality of PC games also because for once the PC's specs are 'set'. I've always felt PC games never really got the attention they deserved because unlike consoles the system specs were always a moving target. Now that the limit is set, perhaps PC games may also improve? But it certainly seems with the idea of instant-on-gaming, TV-diversion, more social functions and partner-character sharing, playing on a PS4 seems the more enticing idea.

I think in the long run, with the integration of the Vita's functions and Gaikai - and if Vita really takes off with the new 33% off discount pricing it has just announced - Sony is probably going to have a new winning platform, maybe more so than a new Xbox Durango. After all what if any, portable devices does/will Xbox have that works with Durango? At least the Wii U has the Wii U Pad.

And if the PS multi-platform gaming idea really does take off on the PS4 with Gaikai, Microsoft, Ninty and Apple really need to sit up and watch out I feel...

I think the PS4's question is whether or not it can result in an innovative gaming experience. I am impressed by the tech specs, but....I really don't know beyond that...

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement