Dynamic Resolution Switching?

Started by
2 comments, last by DigitalBlur 22 years, 6 months ago
Can some one give me a rundown on how to impliment this? I''ve seen it done a number of ways, mostly the display window is destroyed and then recreated with the new resolution, this requires the textures to be reloaded (Quake3 does this). But how do you just switch resolutions without reloading every thing (like Unreal Tournament)?
DigitalBlur
Advertisement
You can just change the resolution without recreating the opengl context and reloading all the textures, but it tends to crash on Voodoo cards. I suspect that UT would reload it all, just not show a loading screen for it.
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
I'd need to readjust the viewport woulden't I?

Either way I'll play around with it and see what happens. I Have a voodoo1 so if it works on my card it should work on every thing else.

Thanks

Edited by - DigitalBlur on October 19, 2001 12:35:44 AM
DigitalBlur
I have my doubts as to whether youll get it working on a voodoo1 without recreating the opengl context... I had that method working perfectly on my geforce but when running it on a voodoo5 it crashed horribly.

If you''re running in a window and just changing the size of the window (not going fullscreen) you can just resize the window and the viewport, which is what my engine does. My fullscreen code is rather broken atm, but it reloads all textures to the same texture id number, which makes it a simple affair to reload them all.
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement