• Create Account

Gimp and GPL license with default fonts, brushes and patterns

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dwarf King   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1857

0Likes

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

So I have spent a lot of time looking around on the net for an answer to how we can legally and commercially make use of the default fonts, bruches and patterns included in a freshly installed Gimp.

And while I can find plenty of GPL license texts and praises of how Gimp the very software itself is allowed to use for commercial use even without the GPL agreement I cannot find any mention of the default fonts, brushes and patterns included in Gimp.

How do a Gimp user stand legally when using Gimp with default fonts, brushes and patterns?

Are they owned by others or are they a part of the software package Gimp and the GPL?

Can we freely use them commercially to create logos and art, still keep our copyright for our games we create?

Also another question comes to my mind after reading the Attribution 3.0 Unported license. Is it really just so easy to credit someone in the project somewhere and then use resources under the Attribution 3.0 Unported licensed patterns for commercial use?

I have not found any readme.txt file saying anything in my default Gimp installation and I need to know this in order to make a proper decision whether I shall keep on using my wonderful Gimp or shed out pure cash for something else like it.

Any helpful and insightful answers or links are very much welcomed smile.png

Best,

Dwarf King

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

Sponsor:

#2 turch   Members   -  Reputation: 590

2Likes

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

1. GIMP does not come with any fonts (at least it didn't back in 2011). The default fonts are the fonts you have installed on your system.

2. Font licenses apply to the font file itself. You only need to license it if you are going to distribute the font file - if you are just distributing the rasterized result you don't need to do anything special. Same thing for brushes - the license applies to the "use" of the brush, not the result.

and of course, IANAL

Edited by turch, 08 March 2013 - 02:07 PM.

#3 Dwarf King   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1857

0Likes

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

1. GIMP does not come with any fonts (at least it didn't back in 2011). The default fonts are the fonts you have installed on your system.

2. Font licenses apply to the font file itself. You only need to license it if you are going to distribute the font file - if you are just distributing the rasterized result you don't need to do anything special. Same thing for brushes - the license applies to the "use" of the brush, not the result.

and of course, IANAL

1. that is actually true... doooh blink.png
  2. That part I was a little unclear about, also I think I read somewhere here on this site that as long as the fonts are a part of some .png result I should be fine. Regarding the brushes I guess that seems fair if one sees them as oil painting on tubes(just an analogy).

I think all the law reading got me a little nervous and that I just needed a second opinion as my mind kind of locked down reading the the many different license.

Ya I know YANAL but it seems to make sense that I create a product with some materials and not distributing the raw materials for use at all.

Thanks smile.png  You have hereby been granted rep for helping out with a mindful and insightful comment. 

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS