Boston Marathon, a terror act

Started by
100 comments, last by Promit 11 years ago

The rate we've been going, this is just the beginning of the next generation's everyday life.

Not really. Despite what the media tells you, statistically, we are living in the safest time in human history.

In real terms, the number of casualties by terrorism is barely significant. It was estimated that more people died by driving because they were afraid to fly than actually died in the planes on 9/11.

I'm not trying to belittle the awfulness of what happened in Boston. I grew up in Ireland during the 80s; I know what it's like. I just want to point out that we are not living in some awful age of terrorism, we're living in an age where we are now so safe that terrorism is news.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
Advertisement

The rate we've been going, this is just the beginning of the next generation's everyday life.

You mean it wasn't this generation's everyday life?

I grew up in the UK in the 90's. The prospect of an IRA bombing was omnipresent - any day you took the subway, might be the day they hit again. You just didn't think about it too much, or your life would be crippled by anxiety.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Not really. Despite what the media tells you, statistically, we are living in the safest time in human history.

In real terms, the number of casualties by terrorism is barely significant. It was estimated that more people died by driving because they were afraid to fly than actually died in the planes on 9/11.

I'm not trying to belittle the awfulness of what happened in Boston. I grew up in Ireland during the 80s; I know what it's like. I just want to point out that we are not living in some awful age of terrorism, we're living in an age where we are now so safe that terrorism is news.

Not quite. Pipe-bombs (and terrorism in general) tended to make news all the time (not always world-wide), more so than violent crime or accidents (for example, from cars). Yes, we are now safer, but the logic in your statement is a tad off.

Truthfully, my prediction is that they will make a big show of trying to track down a foreign angle, but ultimately blame will be levied on a home-grown, right-wing extremist, gun nut, (media reporting and official statements have already been trending this way) and that this will be used as fuel for pushing gun control legislation.

But maybe my tin-foil-hat is just a little too tight today. Time will tell.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Supposedly the police had a Saudi national for questioning, but the police was denying it. But the news is still saying that the police had him. International politics?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Supposedly the police had a Saudi national for questioning, but the police was denying it. But the news is still saying that the police had him. International politics?

I heard it was some really bad reporting. I guess we'll just have to wait and see exactly what's up.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

I heard it was some really bad reporting. I guess we'll just have to wait and see exactly what's up.

Ah, I see. Damn you, Yahoo News!

I hope they figure out how this happen. Personally, at this moment in time, I think that's more important than why it happened.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

I hope they figure out how this happen. Personally, at this moment in time, I think that's more important than why it happened.

The only thing about "how" that I know is it was supposedly gunpowder and shrapnel in a pressure cooker, hidden in a backpack. I'm not sure if that was both bombs or just one of them. Linky. Here's a nice summary/list of what's known.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

Truthfully, my prediction is that they will make a big show of trying to track down a foreign angle, but ultimately blame will be levied on a home-grown, right-wing extremist, gun nut, (media reporting and official statements have already been trending this way) and that this will be used as fuel for pushing gun control legislation.

Most likely, this. Doesn't matter who really did it; what matters is who will be first to use it for political leverage to promote their agenda.

My own tin-foil hat thinking has me wondering what new monstrosity of an executive order (to follow up the Monsanto ball-sucking they already did) the White House is going to slip in under the cover of all this racket. Might want to keep our ears open the next couple of Fridays.

I tend to think you're right that it'll be used to push gun control, despite no guns being used in it.

Perhaps firework bans? Already done in some states (more for preventing accidental wildfires than terrorist attacks).

Maybe fertilizer tracking? Oh wait. laugh.png

Maybe they'll crack down on sales of nails and ball bearings so that only registered contractors can buy them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement