• Create Account

The movie thread.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
80 replies to this topic

#61 MarkS   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 880

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:56 PM

The ring has mirrored walls to reflect sunlight into the ring and keep the atmosphere from escaping laterally. The atmosphere is held in place by the artificial gravity produced from the rotation of the ring.

Sponsor:

#62 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 2102

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:31 PM

I don't think that the walls can be high enough. Gravity is the same at "ground level", but the mass of the air (because of the short walls) is missing to get the right groung level pressure.

Or maybe not, and the scale of the station in the film is enough to build 30 km high walls? I admit I only saw the trailers, and the station didn't seem that huge.

EDITED: tons of typos and stuff

Edited by szecs, 14 August 2013 - 10:36 PM.

#63 MarkS   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 880

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:33 PM

I don't think that the walls can be high enough. Gravity is that same at "ground level", but the mass of the high (30 km) is missing to get the right groung leve pressure.

Or maybe not, and the scale of the station is enough to build 30km high walls?

Very good point!

#64 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 2102

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:47 PM

This whole gravity-from-rotation thing is not entirely clear for me. This "gravity" needs the assumption that every object is rotating with the station. But what if an object starts running in the opposite direction of the rotation direction? At a certain speed relative to the station, the object would start to float relative to the station. Running in the opposite direction would increase the "gravity".

What keeps the air rotating with the station? Sole friction between the air and the station? Maybe the station needs to be rotated and the air pumped in for several years untill they start to rotate synchronized and after that there is no problem any more?

EDIT: physics: failure. Once objetcs are rotating together, no force arises from the rotation that wants to change that (no tangential component). So I pretty much answered my own question.

Sorry for derailing.

Edited by szecs, 14 August 2013 - 10:53 PM.

#65 sevenfold1   Members   -  Reputation: 123

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:38 PM

An open atmosphere station is a bit of interesting tech that will never be built to its massive size and costs, I suppose.

Another thing from the Elysium movie that bugged me was the shoulder mounted rocket launcher (RPG?) that was able to shoot down a spaceship in lower Earth orbit.  That sounds very implausible to me, even in the realm of Sci-Fi.

Edited by sevenfold1, 15 August 2013 - 06:23 PM.

#66 kryotech   Members   -  Reputation: 839

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:15 AM

An open atmosphere station is a bit of interesting tech that will never be built to its massive size and costs, I suppose.

Another thing from the Elysium movie that bugged me was the shoulder mounted rocket launcher (RPG?) that was able to shoot down a spaceship in lower Earth orbit.  That sounds very implausible to me, even in the realm of Sci-Fi.

It could be done. The missile was not very small, and if enough thrust provided, it can be done.

Kryotech

#67 sevenfold1   Members   -  Reputation: 123

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:11 AM

It wasn't believable to me because they didn't add any special effects to it.  Maybe if they made it into a mini two-stage rocket, that would have been better.

#68 kryotech   Members   -  Reputation: 839

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:03 AM

It wasn't believable to me because they didn't add any special effects to it.  Maybe if they made it into a mini two-stage rocket, that would have been better.

I see your point there. But rockets are getting smaller, with more thrust, so it's not entirely impossible. The thing that I found strange was that they'd use surface to space missiles altogether. You'd think the station would have its own defense system. Besides, it's cheaper, and simpler to have that kind of a defense system.

Kryotech

#69 sevenfold1   Members   -  Reputation: 123

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:09 PM

That's what I thought too initially, but I think they tried to explain it away by saying the station was somehow prohibited from attacking oncoming ships, so it wouldn't have any defense capabilities.  The movie had little plot points like this that affected how the rest of the movie would turn out.  Kind of weak.

#70 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:13 PM

That's what I thought too initially, but I think they tried to explain it away by saying the station was somehow prohibited from attacking oncoming ships, so it wouldn't have any defense capabilities.  The movie had little plot points like this that affected how the rest of the movie would turn out.  Kind of weak.

I think it kind of mirrors the US policy with illegal immigration right now. You're supposed to capture and deport illegal immigrants, but that lady was overstepping her bounds by killing them type situation.

Though with that in mind I'm surprised they didn't have any sort of ship to intercept. It's not a very exact mirror because it's much more obvious when a spacecraft is approaching a space station than someone trying to sneak across a border.

#71 ChaosEngine   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2247

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:53 PM

That was no less implausible than the vtol shuttles that could make orbit and far less implausible than the magic healing beds that could fix everything from cancer to

Spoiler

That said, suspension of disbelief and so on. If you replaced "space station" with "island" or "walled city", I thought the movie was probably going to be scarily accurate in it's depiction of how the world will look in 150 years

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

#72 Oberon_Command   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1828

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:36 PM

On the subject of using an RPG to take out a spacecraft in LEO: remember that while the RPG projectile isn't moving all that quick relative to the launcher, everything in low-Earth orbit is moving at over 7km PER SECOND. If you hit something at a good angle, a marble can do massive amounts of damage.

#73 kryotech   Members   -  Reputation: 839

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:42 AM

It just seems practical to at least have some defense system on a space station orbiting Earth. I mean if an RPG style thing could take out a space shuttle, it's not too hard to take out a space station....

I do agree though that I don't think the movie is meant to be taken literally, but it's still fun to look at it that way.

Kryotech

#74 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3412

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:23 AM

Has anyone seen kick-ass 2?, i was thinking of catching it at some point next week, it looks pretty decent, and i loved the first one. Just wanna hear if the second one is as good.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#75 ChaosEngine   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2247

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:17 PM

Has anyone seen kick-ass 2?, i was thinking of catching it at some point next week, it looks pretty decent, and i loved the first one. Just wanna hear if the second one is as good.

Haven't seen it myself, but apparently if you liked the first one, you'll like this one. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

#76 sevenfold1   Members   -  Reputation: 123

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:13 PM

You can find a 20 second post-credit scene of KickAss 2 on Youtube.
Which may hint at another sequel.

But, if you like surprises, you probably shouldn't watch it.

Edited by sevenfold1, 23 August 2013 - 10:21 PM.

#77 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3412

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:58 PM

i have seen the film!(yesterday night)

i'm ganna pre-face this with spoiler tags, as it has a few that i can't really get around with giving my opinion of the film:

Spoiler

overall, i'd give it a 7/10, it was enjoyable, a decent sequel, but i think it had a great opportunity to be more.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#78 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:02 PM

Obilvion - Good Sci Fi. Tom Cruise did a pretty good job in his role. It starts off a bit slow but the pace picks up and it's a steady sweet ride.

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#79 walsh06   Members   -  Reputation: 640

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:50 AM

i have seen the film!(yesterday night)

i'm ganna pre-face this with spoiler tags, as it has a few that i can't really get around with giving my opinion of the film:

Spoiler

overall, i'd give it a 7/10, it was enjoyable, a decent sequel, but i think it had a great opportunity to be more.

Your review is pretty funny when you say its over the top perverted. You would not like the comic at all. Also they could hardly do that ending as it would kill the sequel which I assume theyll still push even if Minday wasnt arrested. 

Anyway The Way Way Back is the best film of the year so far. So funny, such good acting, writing and just so good. Everyone should see it.

#80 kryotech   Members   -  Reputation: 839

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:01 PM

Obilvion - Good Sci Fi. Tom Cruise did a pretty good job in his role. It starts off a bit slow but the pace picks up and it's a steady sweet ride.

Oblivion takes ideas from Moon, but other than that it's pretty good....

Kryotech

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS