Blender Export Keyframe Animation

Started by
1 comment, last by lunkhound 10 years, 10 months ago

Hi All,

Perhaps someone who has a better knowledge of Blender than me can suggest a few things?

Whilst my projects can load and display boned animation for the COLLADA format, I would also like to improve my existing simple keyframe animation system. Basically I export a model from Blender as Wavefront (.obj) and then use a quick 'n dirty tool to do the simple animation and export a basic .anm file (and then interpolate at runtime).

An example of the .anm file is:

# partname x y z rotx roty rotz
frame
head 0 0 0 0 90 0
body 0.1 3.4 5.2 0 0 0
frame

I am trying to cut down on the requirement of this internal tool and do all the 3D model stuff in Blender. Does anyone know of a way I can still export a model using a simple format like .obj and then also export a keyframe file separately?

I might be thinking of exporting a new model each frame and then run it through a small tool to work out what has moved and how much but this means I would need another quick 'n dirty step in the pipeline ;)

Any ideas? If not I might have to write a plugin for Blender but tbh I am worried that since Blender is a fast evolving open-source project, the maintenance required to keep the plugin in sync with the API could be quite a lot more work than a seperate tool.

http://tinyurl.com/shewonyay - Thanks so much for those who voted on my GF's Competition Cosplay Entry for Cosplayzine. She won! I owe you all beers :)

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.
Advertisement

I might be thinking of exporting a new model each frame and then run it through a small tool to work out what has moved and how much but this means I would need another quick 'n dirty step in the pipeline ;)

Any ideas? If not I might have to write a plugin for Blender but tbh I am worried that since Blender is a fast evolving open-source project, the maintenance required to keep the plugin in sync with the API could be quite a lot more work than a seperate tool.

I'd recommend trying a Blender plugin first: the API is stable enough and a separate "small tool" is likely to be complex.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

The blender export plugin here:

https://bitbucket.org/MindCalamity/blender2ogre

Might be a decent starting point. It is up to date with recent versions of Blender (2.66). Also it outputs to a an easy to read XML format.

It is designed for the Ogre3d graphics engine. The bone animations get written into a ".skeleton.xml" file.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement