• Create Account

Vector/Quaternion help - pitch bone to direction vector

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mind Calamity   Members   -  Reputation: 134

0Likes

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:33 PM

Hello, so I'm having a problem making my character look down. I'm using the OGRE3D as my rendering engine, and the math facilities it provides.

What I need to do is basically determine the amount of pitch needed to get the bone to the same direction as my crosshair/camera direction.

// mDirection is the direction of the character
Vector3 boneDir = getBoneWorldOrientation(mEntity, mHips) * mDirection;
// This is the direction of the crosshair
 Vector3 dir = mCameraTrans->_getDerivedDirection();
Quaternion rot = boneDir.getRotationTo(dir);

// The code below has been taken from the sinbad character controller and adapted to pitch, instead of yaw
Real pitchToGoal = rot.getPitch().valueDegrees();
Real pitchAtSpeed = pitchToGoal / Ogre::Math::Abs(pitchToGoal) * timeSinceLastUpdate * 100.0f;
if (pitchToGoal < 0) pitchToGoal = std::min<Real>(0, std::max<Real>(pitchToGoal, pitchAtSpeed)); //yawToGoal = Math::Clamp<Real>(yawToGoal, yawAtSpeed, 0);
else if (pitchToGoal > 0) pitchToGoal = std::max<Real>(0, std::min<Real>(pitchToGoal, pitchAtSpeed)); //yawToGoal = Math::Clamp<Real>(yawToGoal, 0, yawAtSpeed);
 mHips->pitch(Degree(pitchToGoal));
The above code has been adapted from multiple sources and somewhat works, but only on one axis. I know I'm probably doing some horrible things to the math related to this, so I appreciate any tips and pointers. :)

Unfortunately I'm not that good with Vector/Quaternion math, and I get the following bug:
Here's a YouTube video showasing the problem (I didn't find a way to embed it into the post): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwUpzEE3uwI
It seems to work properly on +Z, it's shaking a bit on -Z, and it just continues to rotate on +X/-X.

I also posted on the OGRE3D forums, and am mirroring the post here to increase my chance of a reply.

For any future Googlers that happen to stumble upon this post, here's the link just in case: http://ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78213

Note to moderators: If you think the Math and Physics is more appropriate, please move it there. smile.png

Edited by Mind Calamity, 17 June 2013 - 12:35 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 Mind Calamity   Members   -  Reputation: 134

0Likes

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:33 PM

I've kinda solved this myself by adapting the Camera::setDirection code from OGRE to work for my need:

Now I have the following code:
Vector3 boneDir = getBoneWorldOrientation(mEntity, mHips) * Vector3::UNIT_Z; //mDirection;
Vector3 dir = mCameraTrans->_getDerivedDirection();

Vector3 zAdjustVec = dir;
zAdjustVec.normalise();

Quaternion targetWorldOrientation;

Vector3 xVec = Vector3::UNIT_Y.crossProduct(zAdjustVec);
xVec.normalise();

Vector3 yVec = zAdjustVec.crossProduct(xVec);
yVec.normalise();

targetWorldOrientation.FromAxes(xVec, yVec, zAdjustVec);

// mTransform is basically the SceneNode of the character, I'm multiplying the target orientation with it's inverse orientation to get it to parent/character-space.
mHips->_setDerivedOrientation(mTransform->_getDerivedOrientation().Inverse() * targetWorldOrientation);
The above code was taken from OgreCamera.cpp, the setDirection function, the part with the fixed yaw axis.
Now, that works... Sorta, I now get this problem at near-90 degree pitch, the orientation kind of flips to the other side, I've made another video to showcase this:

Any ideas on how to fix this ?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS