So, Direct3D 11.2 is coming :O

Started by
47 comments, last by Adam Miles 10 years, 9 months ago

Some D3D11.1 got back ported to Win7 as part of a platform update, I seem to recall it being tied to an IE update too - I don't think everything made it back however (and it broke PIX, which has been fun here.. *sigh*), I seem to recall reading some features didn't work.

I should probably double check that at some point just to see where things are.

Yeah they technically back-ported the interface, but most of the new functionality was tied to DXGI 1.2 which wasn't back-ported. Not that there was much new functionality to begin with...the only really new GPU feature was UAV's from all shader stages (which you can't use on Win7).

Advertisement
Yeah, which is really annoying and is honestly making me consider switching back to using OpenGL again because while it might have the (broken) bind-to-edit model at least if I want to release something which uses this newer functionality I'll be able to hit all the platforms again.

At work it just means D3D11 only feature level only on the PC and forget about the extra functionality as a) it's not worth it for the market share and b) we don't have any Win8 machines anyway and our gfx cards are NV470GTX so no functionality there either.

Indeed. It's nice that we're exclusive to a console so we don't need to worry about this stuff for shipping, but it still causes problems for the Windows build of our game that we use for development. Currently we have to write and maintain expensive and/or complex fallbacks on Windows to emulate some of the things that we can do on PS4.

Bind-to-edit doesn't bother me so much with OpenGL because at least we've got EXT_direct_state_access which both AMD and NVIDIA support (and of which some parts have made it into core - such as the glProgramUniform calls; it also helps that id Software used it for textures in Doom 3 BFG so support is going to be good). The bigger-by-far problem is driver quality and consistency not being as good, and if that were to be resolved then I'd likewise be looking at it more seriously. As I said above - MS seem too eager to throw away their previous good work these days, which is a really odd thing to be doing and not in the interests of either developers or end users.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

Personally I'm just glad I didn't take the proposed bet amongst friends that Chuck was the ONLY person working on D3D. Still need to open a betting pool on how many people are actually committed to that tech's development internally though.

Bind-to-edit doesn't bother me so much with OpenGL because at least we've got EXT_direct_state_access which both AMD and NVIDIA support (and of which some parts have made it into core - such as the glProgramUniform calls; it also helps that id Software used it for textures in Doom 3 BFG so support is going to be good). The bigger-by-far problem is driver quality and consistency not being as good, and if that were to be resolved then I'd likewise be looking at it more seriously. As I said above - MS seem too eager to throw away their previous good work these days, which is a really odd thing to be doing and not in the interests of either developers or end users.

Our GL pipeline is shared with ES devices, which means no DSA :( And driver quality, particularly on AMD, is a bitch. Crossfire is even worse.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

The updated tiled resource sample is out now: https://tiledresources.codeplex.com/

It works perfectly on my GTX 670 with the 326.01 driver. Yeah, this is a nice new toy!

I am thinking about installing windows 8.1 just to try it. Can you confirm it works on 660 GTX?

Something far more interesting that D3D11.2 seems to be the inclusion of WebGL in IE11 - preliminary documentation here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/ie/bg182648%28v=vs.85%29 - especially as it seems to be a decent, performant implementation rather than some kind of emasculated afterthought.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

I am thinking about installing windows 8.1 just to try it. Can you confirm it works on 660 GTX?

I think if it works on my GTX 670 it should also work on your GTX 660. The 326.01 driver should be installed over windows update, however, it wasn't available to me. I googled for the setup and found a download link for the driver CAB file. I unpacked the CAB file but when I tried to install the driver the setup told me that my card isn't supported. You can google for an INF patch which solves this problem. Just make sure to disable driver signing enforcement, else the installation will fail.

I just wish they lifted the 16K texture size limit at the same time as they introduced tiled ressources, wonder if they'll do that in DX12, would be really nice to just load up those high res 64-128K textures and not have to manage them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement