Advice on... Everything.

Started by
24 comments, last by Servant of the Lord 10 years, 10 months ago

fffh, I know you people have all probably heard enough of these noobs coming on and spewing their idiocy everywhere, but god

Here I am.

And I am so lost.

I'm probably posting on the wrong forum anyway, adding yet another level to the "good lord, what is she even doing here".

But

Here I go anyway.

(Please don't hate me ;___; )

So I have been trying and trying and trying to figure out the simplest concepts of game design, but everywhere I go, I always end up hitting a glorious wall of pain.

I've been reading everything I can find on computer programming, and taking up small projects wherever I can go (attempting to write an AI in lisp, a text adventure in javascript, just generally screwing around in python, I've tasted a bit of Perl, read multitudes of c++ textbooks, and basically any other programming language out there) but any time I try to do anything of substance I always end up faced with the fact that every device I have sucks at being a computer.

So here I am, at it again in C++, trying to write a simple game with SFML, but yet again, my entire computer sucks at being a computer.

All of the good tutorials out there for it require visual basic, (which I can't run, whoopee!) or some other program which my computer has the inability to deal with.

So I have to figure out to make a simple game (like Pong or something) with exclusively open-source software, but have yet to find any tutorials on the topic.

And so here I am, floating aimlessly in a sea of C++ with no way to complete any project I want to work on.

so

does anyone know where I should start?

Advertisement

All of the good tutorials out there for it require visual basic, (which I can't run, whoopee!) or some other program which my computer has the inability to deal with.

???

Almost all tutorials for games i see on the net are in c++, not vb...

Why could you not run visual basic??? it's been around since the 80's... (maybe even 70's)

Anyway, i always loved nehe tutorials for opengl. There's also this site for DirextX 9.

Both site might be a bit outdated but still have very good material for someone who is just starting anyway.

Also CodeProject have some very nice tutorials on just about everything.

And for the computer, nowaday you can get a very descent machine for programming by buying pretty much the cheapest cpu and rams out there, except maybe for the video card which you should not be too "low end". Hell, my computer is 7 years old, dual core athlon 2.6Ghz, 2go of ram with a 9600 GSO video card and it's still running everything, except newer game with graphics maxed out. Or try to get an usaged one, but a good one.

good luck!

You could try QtCreator. Your computer, even if it's 10 years old, should be able to run Visual Basic. Just maybe not the most recent version.

However, if you haven't yet committed to learning C++, I'd recommend python. If you're already going on C++, then I suggest sticking with it.

Generally, people don't even start with Pong. They usually start with text-based stuff, to learn the basics of the language before they start working on graphical games.

Also, don't reject powerful tools like Construct or GameMaker out of hand. Both have free versions that are really good.

I have found javascript and html5 to be a pleasure to work in. I have completed two html5 games and would recommend that platform to beginners. You can do all of your programming using notepad++ and any web browser, although I would recommend chrome.

Setting up a canvas to draw in is really easy and your game is easily shared with other people on any platform.

I would start with learning how to draw to a canvas in javascript and then more towards making a game once you have the basics down.

And as general advice, keep working at it. I know I have had plenty of failures and incomplete projects in my history of game development but if you are determined and you don't shy away from the challenge you will one day complete a game with a level of quality you will be proud of. In the mean time be patient with yourself and continue to make small steps.
My current game project Platform RPG

You could try using a light development environment like Bloodshed DevC++. You could also use a graphics library like OpenGL with it or SDL (if you could manage to learn any of them). And also, you could try using a pre-made game engine (Unity3D, probably best for any kind of game, IrrLicht, might need Visual Studio for it) and any tutorials they might come with. And when you say 'my computer sucks at being a computer' you mean its dangerously outdated and has low quality hardware and software right? And also you could always look for 2D and Text-based game design tutorials. I hope my post was helpful and I hope you have a productive day.

Also Vortez, I also used the Nehe tutorials to learn EVERYthing past drawing primitives in OpenGL. And the DirectX turorials were also handy.

Try running the 2008 or 2010 versions of visual studio(are you getting visual basic and visual studio mixed up?). The 2012 versions are built for windows 8 and pretty much run like molasses on 7 or XP(if you are running vista or before XP, try Linux instead).

Is the problem with your computer its age, or is it a cheapy laptop? Beware the seemingly humble laptop, unless you pay big bucks it will have many problems.

(attempting to write an AI in lisp, a text adventure in javascript, just generally screwing around in python, I've tasted a bit of Perl, read multitudes of c++ textbooks, and basically any other programming language out there)

Why did you try to learn so many languages? Pick one and focus on it. Even if you can't seem to fix a bug and your getting frustrated, don't give up, just take a break and come back to it later. I just spent 2 days trying to fix a problem where the textures on my buttons weren't showing up, and in the end I had just misspelled the file extension on my PNGs.

Have you actually started coding in SFML or are stuck on the setup? I had a really hard time trying to get SFML to work.

How much C++ have you done before now? Do you feel like you fully understand variables, classes, pointers, and functions?

You may want to spend more time with the cosnsole before moving on to libraries.

If you can't wait to make games, consider focusing on HTML/Javascript or Python instead.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

minibutmany raises a very valuable point. There have been lots of instances where I would continually struggle with my DX apps only to find it was a simple hiccup such as a mispelling a function or parameter or even expressing a statement the wrong way.

Your only hope is to get a copy of QBASIC, learn some ASM and conquer Mode 13!

I'm intrigued, what is the spec of your PC?

Your only hope is to get a copy of QBASIC, learn some ASM and conquer Mode 13!

lol, that just made my day!

Try running the 2008 or 2010 versions of visual studio(are you getting visual basic and visual studio mixed up?). The 2012 versions are built for windows 8 and pretty much run like molasses on 7 or XP(if you are running vista or before XP, try Linux instead).Is the problem with your computer its age, or is it a cheapy laptop? Beware the seemingly humble laptop, unless you pay big bucks it will have many problems.]Why did you try to learn so many languages? Pick one and focus on it. Even if you can't seem to fix a bug and your getting frustrated, don't give up, just take a break and come back to it later. I just spent 2 days trying to fix a problem where the textures on my buttons weren't showing up, and in the end I had just misspelled the file extension on my PNGs. Have you actually started coding in SFML or are stuck on the setup? I had a really hard time trying to get SFML to work.How much C++ have you done before now? Do you feel like you fully understand variables, classes, pointers, and functions?You may want to spend more time with the cosnsole before moving on to libraries.If you can't wait to make games, consider focusing on HTML/Javascript or Python instead.

well, hah, the fact that I can't run Visual Basic is a really long story...
so my operating system is a pirated version of windows XP, and since it's pirated, windows won't let me update it with regular windows updates.
and because of its inability to update, I can't run Visual Basic, or try to download it, because most of the prerequisite software doesn't exist.
it's a pain in the ass, but it's all I've got.
that and I can't run Linux because I don't have any hardware to run it with. (the wubi setup crashes too. I've tried thousands of times).
so I have to get by with this shitbasket.

I tried learning so many languages because when I was starting out I was just so amazed by everything out there, and I went into complete sensory overload with the power I could wield with programming.
so I tried EVERYTHING.
I was even considering learning assembly, but by that point i realized I was out of control.
(those were dark days....)

I'm stuck on the setup with sfml, yeah.

and as for the c++ I know, I know a bit, i suppose.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement