How to learn game programming

Started by
3 comments, last by superman3275 10 years, 9 months ago

I am keen to learn game programming but have no clue how to start...need help

Advertisement

Ok, I've been there. You can't just start with game programming. Assuming you don't know about programming in general, start with Python. Watch TheNewBostons Python tutorials, watch his Java tutorial(beginner), watch thebennybox's tutorial on Java game programming if you want to make a game in Java. For Python, check out PyGame, PyGlet and Cocos2d. Hope this helps!

Read the sticky at the top. Has enough info to get you on the right track.

I know basic programming and my preference is c++.

If I code a game in c++ can i port it to iOS or Android?

Ok, I've been there. You can't just start with game programming. Assuming you don't know about programming in general, start with Python. Watch TheNewBostons Python tutorials, watch his Java tutorial(beginner), watch thebennybox's tutorial on Java game programming if you want to make a game in Java. For Python, check out PyGame, PyGlet and Cocos2d. Hope this helps!

No. 2/3 of those tutorials are bad.

Use Learn Python the Hard Was to learn Python and then read Making Games with Python.

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja !

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement