Started by
7 comments, last by ShadowFlar3 10 years, 8 months ago

Hi

this is my first 4-legged animal animation

i think there is something wrong on it but i couldnt find it

can you help me please ?

there are 5 frames only. 1 every 0.15 sec

Advertisement

Well, it looks a bit jerky, just like it is jumping.
Try to not move the body up and down, just change the position of the legs.
And use an even number of frames, a multiple of the number of legs. 4 legs, 4 frames, or 8 frames to make the animation smoother.

It looks like he lifts up on one leg like he's doing a pimp walk. If that is purposeful, then it looks great. If not, then just fix that one frame.

i fixed the up down thing

how is now ?

Much better now, but the rear left leg (from the turtle's point of view) looks odd. The point where it connects to the body should always stay the same.
Seems like this is an issue with all the legs.

Take a look at the attached picture, the red dots should be one. However, this doesn't seem to affect all frames.

ahh i just noticed it now biggrin.png

i will edit it and reupload it again ^^

thank you biggrin.png

these are the frames if someone need it to help me :D

Turtles have really noticeable elbows and knees, I'm not sure you could get a walk that looks like a turtle's without jointed legs. They also rotate side to side a bit when they walk, though that wouldn't be really visible from this side perspective.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

That's why the turtle is frowning. If he can get over there, he might be able to get some other joints.

I may be wrong...

[spoiler]It might be a girl![/spoiler]

I haven't done 2D animations but maybe I can be of a help as well. I tried to look at the animation in the original post but it just had too few frames IMO and I didn't take it apart. Now that I see the single png files I can better analyze it:

frame1:Taking a step

frame2: Landing the step

frame3: Legs passing

frame4: Landing the step

frame5: Legs Passing

When you cycle this you see where the problem is? There's no pair to frame1 and also frame1 is about 12% into the walk cycle when the following keyframes are 25%, 50%, 75%, 100% roughly. It makes the rhythm unbalanced.

When creating walk keyframes I usually start with "legs passing" frame which is where the legs pass eachother. It smooths the animation well when your character is standing still and begins to walk if you aren't making a separate animation for that. Then I have the "landing the step" frame which is where the stepping foot makes contact with the ground and the hind leg is about to lift off. Then I add the frames between to smooth it out and make bones twist the right way. The "step slide" is where the stepping leg is sliding back to the "legs passing" frame on the ground and that is where it is important to match the leg movement to character movement. Then I take the 4 frames I made and overlay them to the following 4 frames so I get the same exact positions for the "mirror half" of the animation. So my final frames look like this:

frame1: Legs passing

frame2: Taking a step

frame3: Landing the step

frame4: Step slide

frame5: Legs passing

frame6: Taking a step

frame7: Landing the step

frame8: Step slide

More frames than 5 but I get pretty solid results out of this. In 3d with multiple bones I always end up adding more adjustment frames between to get everything right though.

If you're happy with what you've got already then for your next walk cycle perhaps smile.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement