• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Skybox VS Skysphere

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

#1 Medo3337   Members   -  Reputation: 679

2Likes

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:31 PM

Hi guys,

What's your recommendations? Should I use sky box or sky sphere?

If I used sky sphere, should I apply cube texture to the sphere or just a single texture?

What is more commonly used especially in FPS games? Which one can produce better sky and which is easier for producing different looking skies?

Edited by Medo3337, 07 September 2013 - 08:02 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 C0lumbo   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2493

1Likes

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:03 AM

Personally, I prefer the sky box solution. Less triangles, less complexity, and you can have a cube map that you can use for reflections too.

To a certain extent though, it doesn't much matter, and I would let my artist's opinion or the availability of convenient cheap online assets sway my decision.

#3 riuthamus   Moderators   -  Reputation: 5773

1Likes

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:13 AM

I made our team go with a sky dome ( cut the bottom part off and make it a solid color ). There are three domes:

1) The outer most layer, This has our color tones associated with it and defines the sky color. We can use code to make the gradient applied as well as control how far up and down it goes.

2) The second inner one rotates and has a cloud texture applied

3) Is the inner most one and rotates faster than the #2 slot. A texture cloud is applied here as well thus creating a parallax effect to the sky.

Lastly, at night we apply a stars texture to the #1 slot... although this is a bit hard to do if your texture guy does not know how to make textures for domes/circles.

#4 Medo3337   Members   -  Reputation: 679

1Likes

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:22 AM

What is most used commonly in modern FPS games?

Can I use cube map on skysphere?

Some sky textures looks very good on the texture but when I try to apply it to the sky sphere it doesn't look as good as it was, that's why I'm thinking that I could use cube map.

#5 Tispe   Members   -  Reputation: 1039

1Likes

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:41 AM

Do you even need a skybox with atmospheric scattering?

#6 LPVOID   Members   -  Reputation: 106

1Likes

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:57 AM

both cube and sphere can use  cube-dds as their texture

#7 riuthamus   Moderators   -  Reputation: 5773

0Likes

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:18 PM

kOyw6ww.jpg

that is an example of our skybox setup

#8 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 20933

1Likes

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:26 PM

@riuthamus: How large are your skydomes? Wouldn't that give the appearance of the clouds curving too steeply towards the earth? In your screenshot, it almost looks like the clouds are rising up perpendicular to the ground.

When and how do you apply the sun? Between the 1st and 2nd domes?

How high resolution do you make your domes?

[/curiosity]

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#9 riuthamus   Moderators   -  Reputation: 5773

1Likes

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:12 PM

Do you even need a skybox with atmospheric scattering?

yes, if you want to control the color. We originally had the scattering effect and it was damn near impossible to fully control the color

How large are your skydomes? Wouldn't that give the appearance of the clouds curving too steeply towards the earth? In your screenshot, it almost looks like the clouds are rising up perpendicular to the ground.

1) Pretty large

2) It can if you make it go all the way to the top, but it doesnt, i can show you a picture if that helps

3) Some clouds do this, or give the same effect

When and how do you apply the sun? Between the 1st and 2nd domes?

1) Sun is applied to the furthest dome there is, the back dome and is applied on top of the color

2) Right now the dome textures are 4096x672

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS