Are you sure it's alive?

Started by
9 comments, last by Krohm 10 years, 6 months ago

Was reviewing some code in a project, and found a file where a developer had inserted the following in every single method:

class EventMapper {
   public:

/*
    * constructor
    */
   EventMapper() {
      if( !this ) return;
      /* --SNIP--*/
   }

/*
    * destructor
    */
   ~EventMapper() {
      if( !this ) return;
      /* --SNIP-- */
   }

/*
    * initialises the event mapper
    */
   void initialise() {
      if( !this ) return;
      /* --SNIP-- */
   }
"I would try to find halo source code by bungie best fps engine ever created, u see why call of duty loses speed due to its detail." -- GettingNifty
Advertisement

This is an awesome way to mask a null-pointer dereference bug and make it even more of a pain to find!

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Perhaps that coder was a "consultant":

http://www.despair.com/consulting.html

I'm also wondering how often you will get a null this pointer in practice.

It seems quite likely that you would instead receive an arbitrary (but still incorrect) pointer value...

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

It seems quite likely that you would instead receive an arbitrary (but still incorrect) pointer value...

if ((unsigned)(this) < 0x1000) return;

You should never get a null or incorrect "this" pointer. The fact that you have access to "this" already means the object exists in memory and is valid.

"I would try to find halo source code by bungie best fps engine ever created, u see why call of duty loses speed due to its detail." -- GettingNifty

#include <iostream>

class Test {
public:
  void printthis();
};

void Test::printthis() {
  std::cout << this << std::endl;
}

void lalala(Test* p) {
  p->printthis();
}

int main() {
  lalala(0);
  return 0;
}

If that guy also got such wrong code in his project... biggrin.png

I think I wrote that exact same hack back in the 90's when I was first learning C++.

Somewhere I had a NULL pointer and was calling functions on it, which means you end up inside that function with a NULL this value.

I diagnosed this symptom (this is null), and "fixed" it by inserting the if statement from the OP... nevermind the actual cause of the bug... unsure.png

You should never get a null or incorrect "this" pointer. The fact that you have access to "this" already means the object exists in memory and is valid.

Unfortunately, not true. Try the following program:

#include <iostream>

struct X
{
  void print() {
    std::cout << "pointer: " << (void*)this << std::endl;
  }
};

int main() {
  X *x = NULL;
  x->print();

X *y;
  y->print();
}

On my machine, that produces the following:

$ clang++ null.c++ 
$ ./a.out 
pointer: 0
pointer: 0x7fff5d4e5b68

Which goes back to my argument that the common case is not in fact NULL, but an arbitrary pointer value, because in my mind it is much more likely to accidentally call a function on an undefined pointer than a pointer which I have explicitly initialised to NULL (unless of course your dev platform always nulls pointers by default).

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Besides the null pointer example already given, consider the following:

struct Foo
{
    int Member;
    void DoStuff()
    {
        std::cout << this << std::endl;
    }
};

struct Bar
{
    int padding;
    int morepadding;
    Foo data;
};

int main()
{
    Bar* theobject = NULL;
    theobject->data.DoStuff();
}
My compiler prints 0x00000008 on a 32-bit build, for instance.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement