Incredibly niche games?

Started by
14 comments, last by Orymus3 10 years, 6 months ago
I was told that making my Final Fantasy VI style RPG was too difficult for one person. I'm starting to agree with them, now that I no longer have so much passion that I want to debate.

So before I scrap the idea, I have another idea. Something I really wanted to do was implement a turn-based battle system. So what if I had a game where the game is absolutely nothing but turn-based RPG battles, one after another, and long ones too? Meaning no real storyline, no towns, no navigation through areas, etc. It would cut the amount of work in half.

Is there a market for this? Would anyone want to play something so no fluff?
Advertisement

Download RPG Maker (XP) and do your Final Fantasy 6 using it :)

As for "the game is absolutely nothing but turn-based RPG battles", sure, there are plenty of these... Look through flash game sites. Althrough, these usually have a skeleton storyline.

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Well, many Tactical Rpg work this way. You have only fights, with some story sequence in-between fights. The japanese Visual Novel works the same way, except there is no fights. So no I don't think,it's really a niche type of game :)

If I agree that making a ff6 like is quite a very big task. Especially if you want to achieve the same level of sound, art, and story telling. I think the the first one is much more realist to do. Maybe.

I think starting with a battle game would be a good idea. It focuses your development and helps from your scope running out of control.

It also gives you a solid place to expand from, for instance, adding a story (even if it's entirely text boxes in between battles), or adding an experience/level up/loot system on top of the battle engine. So you could ultimately decide when to stop developing your product. You could even take your battle game and port it into a full game if you decide to later on.

I think this is a great idea, MUCH better than FFVI.

And much like cardinal above me said, it's a basis for adding on. Make your turn based battle system, work the tweaks out, make it your own version (as opposed to a straight clone), then take it out and use it for a larger RPG (maybe a group project) later.

Woot, you 're gonna make a game where i don't need to skip the storyline ? :D

Are you gonna deliver a level(battle)-editor with it ?

It would be an easy way of making more content(aka let others do it for you)

Please tell me you will add permadeath to the characters :D

Seriously though, only combat in a TACTICAL game is awesome, and with the awesomeness of permadeath the game can kind of become a rouge-like-combat-survival-oregontrails-you-will-die kind of game. WITH LEADERBOARDS!

Cheers!

Please tell me you will add permadeath to the characters :D
Seriously though, only combat in a TACTICAL game is awesome, and with the awesomeness of permadeath the game can kind of become a rouge-like-combat-survival-oregontrails-you-will-die kind of game. WITH LEADERBOARDS!
Cheers!

Permadeath is an interesting idea. Maybe I could have it so the characters completely regenerate health with each new battle, like I was going to do, but have it where if the character dies, you lose them for good and have to choose another character from your roster for the empty slot.

Anyone else like permadeath or not?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement