Whats is the easiest programming?

Started by
14 comments, last by supersilentninja 10 years, 5 months ago

I new to coding and i dont know what im best at. i want to make games, gamemodes, mods and addons.

HTML is only for website design and i know how to use it, my skills at HTML 6-8/10.

i read through some lua pages and didn't understand anything, the reason was that they didnt explain what a function do, they didn't explain the main stuff. they didnt explain it on a easy way either so how am i suppose to understand?

I have used 1-2 months to figure out how Lua works, still dont understand. i looked up after easier way to learn and understand Lua but it still not good explained.

Im also reading a book called: 3D Game Programming All In One (Premier Press, 2004)

and it is really old and im looking for a new 3D game programming that is more easier then this one.

Im going to try out Java 3D and 2D programming but its kind of new to me and if you recommand reading a book first or watch a video il try my best to go through it :)

eks:

local function abc()
local x = 5

local my_f = function()
x = 7.3
end

my_f() -- executes my_f

print(x) -- prints '7.3'
end

abc() -- executes abc

print(x) -- print 'nil'

Okey, what does "local" mean?

what do "local" do? and what is hes job?

what does "function" mean?

what do "function" do? what is hes job?

The same goes with all they other like: elsif, if , do, return, function, local, etc....

I dont expect to learn lua in 1-4 hours but yeah i tried thinking and find out how it works,.

print is = Shows up on the screen or console.

Questions.

1. is their a easy programming language then Lua that can make 2D or 3D games? like Java?

2. is their a programming language that is almost the same as Lua just more easier and better explained?

3. do you have any recommanded programmins books for free or not??

4. How do i run my Scripted files? my command/cmd cannot open them or read it!

Advertisement

That's a bit like asking: I want to buy a Beer, is there an easier language to buy a beer in other than french? Probably not.

3D games programming *is* hard. It involves a lot of mathematics, and some fairly gnarly programming concepts (that can be difficult to grasp at first). The choice of language you use to learn 3D games programming, will therefore make very little difference - Those 3D concepts are going to be the same, whichever language you choose. Really, spend some time trying to understand programming games in 2D (using whichever language you like the look of most). Once you've understood the principles of programming languages (repetition, selection, data structures, functions, objects), and you've understood the principles of 2D games (vectors, matrices, spatial subdivision, state machines, etc), then, and only then, start looking at the 3D concepts.....

That's a bit like asking: I want to buy a Beer, is there an easier language to buy a beer in other than french? Probably not.

3D games programming *is* hard. It involves a lot of mathematics, and some fairly gnarly programming concepts (that can be difficult to grasp at first). The choice of language you use to learn 3D games programming, will therefore make very little difference - Those 3D concepts are going to be the same, whichever language you choose. Really, spend some time trying to understand programming games in 2D (using whichever language you like the look of most). Once you've understood the principles of programming languages (repetition, selection, data structures, functions, objects), and you've understood the principles of 2D games (vectors, matrices, spatial subdivision, state machines, etc), then, and only then, start looking at the 3D concepts.....

I agree, but i have going through alot of other programming language. i just want to know what a newbie programmer should begin with insted of Lua, in my opinion is that Lua is a high level then i am on. so what should i switch to?

I agree, but i have going through alot of other programming language. i just want to know what a newbie programmer should begin with insted of Lua, in my opinion is that Lua is a high level then i am on. so what should i switch to?

"High level", when talking about a programming language refers to a level of abstraction. If you mean that Lua is too hard for you, well, programming is hard.

Python often gets thrown around as a reasonable language to start with. But if you have a lot of experience in building web pages, perhaps starting with a web-related programming language (e.g. JavaScript on the client side, or PHP on the server side) could be a good path for you.

In any case, find a couple of simple introductory tutorials and then a book. Practice everything you learn: You don't need to finish learning a language to start using it (if that were the case, nobody would ever use C++ ;) ).

"High level", when talking about a programming language refers to a level of abstraction. If you mean that Lua is too hard for you, well, programming is hard.

Python often gets thrown around as a reasonable language to start with. But if you have a lot of experience in building web pages, perhaps starting with a web-related programming language (e.g. JavaScript on the client side, or PHP on the server side) could be a good path for you.

In any case, find a couple of simple introductory tutorials and then a book. Practice everything you learn: You don't need to finish learning a language to start using it (if that were the case, nobody would ever use C++ ;) ).

The reason why HTML is easy for me to understand is because a friend on mine teached it to me. i also went o a website that aslo learn you HTML and webdesign. The reason why i wanted to learn HTML coding was to make a custom loadingscreen for my Game Servers and forums. The reason why i want to learn game programming is because i enjoy playing games, i have alot of ideas, i want to understand coding, i want to develop a game, and i enjoy coding. I enjoy coding for making games but not making a webpage.

They way for me to learn coding is either some one teaches me or it is good explained and has examples. HTML is also translated to Norwegian the langauge i talk which also made it much easier. i havent seen any Norwegian game programming books.

Anyway thanks for replying smile.png

Greetings.

The reason you can't learn programming is because you start with the wrong books.

You don't need a book "how to programm in 3D" or "how to programm games" - those books are for those who are already programmers.

You need "Very Basic Programming for Non-Programmers" - the book that will teach you the very basic concepts of programming, common to all languages. I assure you, there are such books translated into Norwegian, you just look for them in the wrong place.

LUA, in my opinion, is the easiest language of them all. I've started learning LUA today and I can programm in it already - but it's because I'm an experienced programmer (in other languages), there is really not much I need to learn at all. For you, you need to learn the very basics. Once you've learned programming as a skill, you'll discover that learning different languages of programming is really trivial and easy.

I advice you to start with this tutorial: from very-very start of it. http://lua.gts-stolberg.de/en/index.php

It explains what is "local" - it is, by the way, a declaration of the scope of the variable. But what is a scope? You don't know it; it's a programming concept. This tutorial explains it.

It's also explains what is "function" - this word is a mark, a sign, a declaration that the block of code between "function" and "end" is a separate block, it has a name, and can be used in other places through using that name. This is also explained in the tutorial.

Both "local" and "function" exist in ALL programming languages, so they aren't explained specifically. That's why you need some book "very basics of programming for very beginners - non-programmers", not any of more specific books.

Good luck; you have to learn to find proper books first, before programming; I assure you, there are such Norwegian books. :)

Greetings.

The reason you can't learn programming is because you start with the wrong books.

You don't need a book "how to programm in 3D" or "how to programm games" - those books are for those who are already programmers.

You need "Very Basic Programming for Non-Programmers" - the book that will teach you the very basic concepts of programming, common to all languages. I assure you, there are such books translated into Norwegian, you just look for them in the wrong place.

LUA, in my opinion, is the easiest language of them all. I've started learning LUA today and I can programm in it already - but it's because I'm an experienced programmer (in other languages), there is really not much I need to learn at all. For you, you need to learn the very basics. Once you've learned programming as a skill, you'll discover that learning different languages of programming is really trivial and easy.

I advice you to start with this tutorial: from very-very start of it. http://lua.gts-stolberg.de/en/index.php

It explains what is "local" - it is, by the way, a declaration of the scope of the variable. But what is a scope? You don't know it; it's a programming concept. This tutorial explains it.

It's also explains what is "function" - this word is a mark, a sign, a declaration that the block of code between "function" and "end" is a separate block, it has a name, and can be used in other places through using that name. This is also explained in the tutorial.

Both "local" and "function" exist in ALL programming languages, so they aren't explained specifically. That's why you need some book "very basics of programming for very beginners - non-programmers", not any of more specific books.

Good luck; you have to learn to find proper books first, before programming; I assure you, there are such Norwegian books. smile.png

Thank you :) im still really early to actully learn about coding. i need to finish this school which i have 3 years left. after im done at that school i need to move to Oslo and go Game programming for 3 years there. but i'm going to learn the most of it before i actully start on the school :)

This is what i will learn at that school:

Programming with Java
Databases
Digital technology
Web Project
information
Elective
Programming in C #, C and C + +
Software Architecture
Artificial intelligence
Algorithms and Data Structures
Mathematics and Physics
Software engineering
Project
Programming of game engines
3D Graphics Programming
Linear algebra
Entrepreneurship
Survey Methods
Elective
Research Project

Looks like an alright pick of subjects (assuming the courses are sensibly implemented by qualified teachers).

Like people said, Lua is not harder than any other imperative programming language. What you need to get used to is the imperative thinking, HTML not only is a declarative way of thinking, but does not involve mathematics and logic in the same way, and that's why you will find Lua/Java/C++/whatever difficult even though you know HTML. When you pass the threshold and learn Lua or Java, learning your the second, third, fourth etc. imperative language will be much easier.

I learned HTML when I was 11, Visual Basic when 13, C/C++ when 16, Lua when 17, Java when 19... Now at 27 I know three dozen different languages, no exaggeration. smile.png Learn about 1-2 new ones every year.

You will find learning programming to be a bit easier if you find tutorials which are written in the language you speak every day. I am assuming English is a second language to you.

Your struggles with Lua I have seen many times before, on the forum of a game where Lua is used for modding. You will find copying and pasting code is a slow, dangerous way to learn, as it will not always bestow good habits on you. The course your school is offering should help you get into programming, it's a way of thinking as much as anything else. ( I find myself solving real-life problems like I would do in code quite often. )

IMPORTANT NOTE: Do not get frustrated with doing small things, programming a game is NOT an easy thing to do and it may be many, many years before you are ready.

I'm gonna throw in and just say that I think Python is amazing. I went from using a little perl (for scripting purposes) to heavily relying on Python, and did it all while learning about game-related concepts. I'd recommend the free book at http://inventwithpython.com/ .It's aimed at young audiences, so it explains every bit of code, and constantly works at the concept of core game mechanics.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement