Looking for a good engine.

Started by
10 comments, last by D4N005H 10 years, 5 months ago

Hi, I'm very new in game coding but I do program in C++.

I'm going to make a game with our group next 2 years. I'm somehow advanced in 3D Max, So I not only have to help our group to program the game but I also have to make 3D models. One of us know C# a bit. And I don't plan to use any other language as the game is related to my university lessons and all of the lessons are about C++ (to the time I'm writing this post).

Due to the things I said, I want to download/buy a game engine that:

1) has superb graphics and physics

2) supports C++ and 3DsMax objects AND 3DMax animations. OR (that's really important) supports C++ and is capable of animating and creating 3D models just like 3DsMax or easier (faster 3D modelling) than 3DsMax.

And my last must-have option for the game engine I want to download/buy is:

3)Exporting, I mean I want my game be played not only in PC, but in Android (other platforms are not necessary but are magnificent to be supported by the game engine).

4) Some additional stuff that is good if the game engine has them:

• We want good graphics for the game and we want our game playable in PC and Android.
  • We are looking for a game engine that does most things it self (in order to save time)

Note: I found Unity is superb (although it doesn't support C++ completely, we can do something with C#) yet it's graphics are too low and it has The nVidia Physics that means people who has AMD graphics cards won't like my game. Unreal on the other hand don't support some multiplayer code stuffs and I was told it doesn't support C++ at all yet it has superb graphics. Cry Engine seems it'll make us cry as we are noob in game programming and the game engine is really advanced. Then I have no idea what game engine to choose, Please help me to choose a prefect game engine.

Additional Notes:

We're also noob in C++ coding that's why I said we want to make a game next 2 years.

We're not sponsored, we don't have even a little money, so we want to finish it with the most economic way.

Thanks for taking your time for reading this.

I'm looking forward for your answers.

Advertisement

Any ideas? Sorry for double posting but did I just wrote my questions puzzling?

Try to check www.unrealengine.com/udk/?

KrinosX

An explanation of why you've received downvotes:

Your topic title makes a demand rather than describing your question, and the content of your post comes off as being abrasive. If you want people to help you, you'll have better luck just asking your question and thanking people for their time.

Specifically, saying things like this does not add to the value of your post, but has a good chance of turning away people who would otherwise gladly give you helpful information:

So please read my question carefully and then please answer me if you are an experienced user.

A good title for this question would be something like, "Looking for a good engine". Then in the post body you can describe your problem. Telling people to 'read carefully' or to only answer if they are an 'experienced user' is not going to help you a lot.

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Please tell us what game you're trying to make (genre), and perhaps give us a rough outline of what you want the game to be about. This will help us make a better decision on what game engine is appropriate. With the information you provided, you're not going to get any responses other than "use google".

A game engine does not "support" C++. You make it sound like C++ is something that can be built into a game engine, but the opposite is true. Further, you can't "export" your game from C++ to multiple platforms because that's just not how it works.

"I would try to find halo source code by bungie best fps engine ever created, u see why call of duty loses speed due to its detail." -- GettingNifty

Additional Notes:
We're also noob in C++ coding that's why I said we want to make a game next 2 years.
We're not sponsored, we don't have even a little money, so we want to finish it with the most economic way.

Unreal Engine is not free by using C++ it will cost you 50k

Why do you want to create a game in C++ if you are a noob in it?

The length of working on a game in C++ depends on your skills even using an engine.

You can use Unity easy and fast.

If you are a noob at C++ you should really not use C++ on a game project. That's assuming you want to finish the project within a timeline instead of just noodle around with it as a hobbie or learning experience.

If ever there was a framework for you it's Unity. You can develop with it for free, until the point at which you would like to get a license for Android. PhysX works on all devices, and is actually quite well optimized when using CPU. The graphics are only as good as the input from your creative team. You aren't going to get CryEngine graphics on a mobile device for no money. In fact you aren't going to get it for any amount of money. The best mobile GPUs on the market are likely worse than the onboard GPU in the worst computer in your house:

http://gfxbench.com/compare.jsp?D1=Intel+HD+Graphics+3000+%280116%2C+0122%2C+0126%29&D2=Google+Nexus+5&cols=2

Try to check www.unrealengine.com/udk/?

Thanks for your answer. but it says 404 Page not found. And I was told UDK won't support C++ language.

An explanation of why you've received downvotes...

I had no time to think how to write my question.Thanks to you for your tips, just edited my first post.

Please tell us what game you're trying to make (genre), and perhaps give us a rough outline of what you want the game to be about....

A game engine does not "support" C++. You make it sound like C++ is something that can be built into a game engine, but the opposite is true. Further, you can't "export" your game from C++ to multiple platforms because that's just not how it works.

It looks like a GTA game, you can go to a city, drive and walk (When I say GTA, I obviously don't mean GTA V or even something close to that,though).

And what I mean by "Supporting C++" is something like "Using C++", Thanks for your answer. I just forgot to say the game genre in the first post.

Unreal Engine is not free by using C++ it will cost you 50k

Why do you want to create a game in C++ if you are a noob in it?

The length of working on a game in C++ depends on your skills even using an engine.

You can use Unity easy and fast.

Oh, thanks for your info. That's expensive, isn't it?

Because we seriously like to program in C++ .

Agreed.

Thanks for your advice.

If you are a noob at C++ you should really not use C++ on a game project. That's assuming you want to finish the project within a timeline instead of just noodle around with it as a hobbie or learning experience.

If ever there was a framework for you it's Unity. You can develop with it for free, until the point at which you would like to get a license for Android. PhysX works on all devices, and is actually quite well optimized when using CPU. The graphics are only as good as the input from your creative team. You aren't going to get CryEngine graphics on a mobile device for no money. In fact you aren't going to get it for any amount of money. The best mobile GPUs on the market are likely worse than the onboard GPU in the worst computer in your house:

http://gfxbench.com/compare.jsp?D1=Intel+HD+Graphics+3000+%280116%2C+0122%2C+0126%29&D2=Google+Nexus+5&cols=2

Very thanks for your reply. But I heard PhysX is not supported in AMD (I mean non-nVidia) devices.
And there's no time limitation for the project, we want to make the game for fun AND for earning money,too.

Thanks for your replies. I think I choose Unity.

Oh, thanks for your info. That's expensive, isn't it?
The Unreal engine is created by dozens and dozens of experts who are probably all on $100k/year salaries, so $50k is pretty cheap.

For $50k you'd only be able to hire a junior/intermediate programmer for one year, and in that time they'd have no chance of creating something that can rival Unreal.

Also -- with engine licensing, companies like to restrict the ability to use C++ for the cheap/"indie" version, and then sell a C++-compatible version for a lot of money. They do this, because the big companies (who do have a lot of money) want to use C++, while the garage-game-develoeprs (who have no money) are often happy with other languages.

If you want to use C++, you pretty much either have to have a lot of money, or you have to use an open-source engine, which usually aren't as good as UDK/Unity/etc...

Very thanks for your reply. But I heard PhysX is not supported in AMD (I mean non-nVidia) devices.
That's not true. The main PhysX functionality works everywhere (otherwise no one in their right mind would use it!!), but it has some extra functionality that only works on nVidia GPUs. Games often use this for extra special effects or destruction stuff, so that it doesn't matter too much if it's missing.

PhysX will run fine on the CPU. You just can't offload massive amounts of physics calculations onto a special chip if you don't have one.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement