PUTT People's Choice Award and Comments

Started by
19 comments, last by wintertime 10 years, 4 months ago

Here are the entries for this contest:

The rules are simple. Play the games and vote for which game you like the best. The game with the most votes wins the People's Choice Award!

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement

Couple of them are Ruby, I didn't really want to install Ruby so I didn't try them. Here are my comments (don't expect any kind of system, here):

Lucentbeam - This entry had a cool visual vibe, I like the clockwork look and theme. But the controls seemed wonky and confusing. Left and right didn't map directly to counterclockwise/clockwise, but instead seemed to toggle. If I pressed left once, it would go clockwise; press left again and it would reverse. Same with left. They seemed to switch meanings, and it confused me.

crow007 - While it doesn't look like much, it's actually the one I played for the longest. Ball speeds seemed kind of unpredictable.

Noctumus - Very smooth, very fast paced. A little too fast paced for my slow, creaky old reflexes. It looked decent, played well.

wintertime - Didn't play.

vortez - I really liked the updated/traditional look. True to the original, but with a modern upgrade to it. Played fast and smooth (again, a bit too fast) but the predictability was a snag. Ball always launches at the same angle. Of course, given the disparity between the ball speed and paddle speed, this is probably for the best.

shadowisadog - This one was pretty basic, visually. Biggest issue I noticed was that it ran very roughly, as if no smoothing or interpolation were being done on the ball movement. Made it very difficult to play for more than a few seconds.

segmented - Loved the style and look of it. Theme was pretty cool. Biggest issue was that the "splash" or explosion the ball makes when hitting the walls made it hard to know if my paddle was lined up on the ball properly. Made for a confusing play experience.

ml_ - Didn't play.

staunsholm - Didn't play.

mippy - "Hot balls!" This one made me chuckle, when I got the "Hot Balls!" message. Was a little bit confusing to know what was going on. I sometimes got blown up and wasn't sure why.

To me, it was between Noctumus, Lucentbeam and Segmented...

Segmented--Definitely an awesome throwback to the days of text-based games ^_^. That's one of the biggest things that I liked about this, as I said in the other thread--you showed you don't need to have graphics detailed enough to count the hairs on a rats @$$ in order to have a great game. Liked your whole matrix theme.

Lucentbeam--Your controls leave a lot to be desired, but aside from the Sticky Keys prompt, I can get over it. Your game was probably the most original spin on a decades-old concept. And I like your sense of humor. (Grandfather... clock... ba-zinga! [courtesy of Sheldon Cooper])

Noctumus, Yours was a good, smooth game, good cartoonish graphics (I'm a fan of that, myself) and had one pain-in-the-ass power-up.:-P Liked it a lot.

Unfortunately, I didn't really think Segmented fit the Time theme (just my personal opinion)... And, while I think Lucentbeam's game was definitely the best spin on the Time theme and arguably better gameplay (again, just my opinion), there was no win condition I could identify. So, I've gota give my vote to Noctumus.

Unfortunately, I didn't really think Segmented fit the Time theme (just my personal opinion)...

Haha, I was worried that "network time" and the whole ping thing might be too much of a stretch. smile.png Hope it still counts for the mandatory points tho =) Glad you liked the style, thanks for the feedback. smile.png

Not really easy to pull mine from github, since you need to setup a server to play it. Here's an online version:

http://test.staunsholm.dk/icecube/

(yes, needs webgl - but should work in all latest browserversions)

Mkkl.

PS! No, it's not finished :-)

Couple of them are Ruby, I didn't really want to install Ruby so I didn't try them. Here are my comments (don't expect any kind of system, here):

ml_ - Didn't play.

staunsholm - Didn't play.

Hey thanks for taking the time to check out some of the games and share your experience. For Staunsholm's game you should try the online version.

EDIT: We now have a packaged, tested executable of StickBall for Windows. Here it is: StickBallClone-master.zip

Just download, unzip, go into the StickBallClone-master folder and double-click main.exe.

There is now a compiled exe of my team's version which you can try out. We didn't have it ready at the time of the game deadline, so you should probably disregard this for voting purposes, but I'd be interested to know what you think of it, so here it is: StickBall (main.exe)

EDIT: I just found out that the exe has to be placed INSIDE OF the entire StickBall folder and then executed to work. I will repackage it entirely, and post it tomorrow after personally testing it on Windows.

Hey thanks for taking the time to check out some of the games and share your experience. For Staunsholm's game you should try the online version.

The online version was cool. I liked the moving background and the music. I didn't see any powerups though. The Top and Bottom Borders are hard to discern as well.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Hey thanks for taking the time to check out some of the games and share your experience.

And thank you for being such a good sport. smile.png

I tried the compiled version, but unfortunately it is not working for me on Windows 8. It dies immediately, and doesn't produce an error message, even from the console.

And thank you for being such a good sport. smile.png

I tried the compiled version, but unfortunately it is not working for me on Windows 8. It dies immediately, and doesn't produce an error message, even from the console.

The problem is that everybody else just needs to be on Linux like me! lol

Well, I got trigger happy about sharing the exe, and I failed to realize that it needs to be placed inside of the StickBall repo folder with all the media and code and stuff in order to work. I am going to repackage it completely, but if you've already cloned from github, placing main.exe inside the StickBall folder ought to make it work.

EDIT: StickBall is now fully packaged with the executable and the dependent files: StickBallClone-master.zip

For those interested in playing the final package that was made for my game, but don't have a Mac, this is it:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7949526/lucentbeam.putt.win32.final.zip

This was the final version that made it to the Mac app, I just didn't have a chance to sit down at a Windows computer and compile it until after the weekend. The win/loss screens are minimal, but at least there. That's the primary difference.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement