VS2013 always online requirements?

Started by
10 comments, last by 21st Century Moose 10 years, 5 months ago

Having just downloaded the VS2013 express edition it seems they want me to log in, so all my settings can be saved online. All previous versions used a one time registration, but this seems to imply every time I load up VS2013 I'll need to log in. This seems... overly intrusive to me.

Am I misinformed here? Has anyone else played with this? What are your thoughts?

Advertisement

I only have the release candidate (2013 RC), but it works fine for me offline.

You can select to not log in and it should be OK. To be honest, I logged in - I love the fact that I can get my settings automatically and so seamlessly at any machine.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

As far as I can tell I have the 'real' version and not the RC. I've been using it without logging in, but it stated quite clearly that without logging in my license (for express) would expire and would not be able to continue to use it.

As far as I can tell I have the 'real' version and not the RC. I've been using it without logging in, but it stated quite clearly that without logging in my license (for express) would expire and would not be able to continue to use it.

Have you logged in at least once? Express versions tends to say that license crap for not having a key instead, it may just want you to log in once. This is ofc just an assumption, I don't have VS2013 but in VS2012 an earlier editions despite being free it needed a key to remove the trial limit, same rule may just apply to logging in in VS2013.

I can log in and out and still use the app while logged out. From what I gather online is that it'll periodically need to be sync'd with your 'Microsoft' account or will stop working. I'm more worried about the information that'll be sync'd when that occurs. Is it just settings, or will they also start sending information on files, computer configuration, libraries used, ect...? I'm not comfortable with MS have unfettered access to my computer. None of this is stated clearly. I was hoping someone here might have a little more insight.

I can log in and out and still use the app while logged out. From what I gather online is that it'll periodically need to be sync'd with your 'Microsoft' account or will stop working. I'm more worried about the information that'll be sync'd when that occurs. Is it just settings, or will they also start sending information on files, computer configuration, libraries used, ect...? I'm not comfortable with MS have unfettered access to my computer. None of this is stated clearly. I was hoping someone here might have a little more insight.

then why you use windows? wink.png

It's just settings, unless you've choosen to send the other info by checking it on the instalation, in witch case you're alread sending the info even without being logged in.

I'm not comfortable with MS have unfettered access to my computer.

then why you use windows? wink.png

QFE.

The copy protection for Windows itself is already sending more data than that, not to mention the amount of data sent by microsoft update if you happen to have checked the box for automatic updates...

Paranoid devs are paranoid, but it's really not worth the effort.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

The copy protection for Windows itself is already sending more data than that, not to mention the amount of data sent by microsoft update if you happen to have checked the box for automatic updates...

Paranoid devs are paranoid, but it's really not worth the effort.

I find people in general are paranoid. I've gotten into a number of arguments with people who are paranoid about giving apps permissions on their phone. I get why they are paranoid, but personally the awesome features granted via various cloud-esque interactions with my software are worth it to me.

Slightly related I stopped playing The Walking Dead because I got half way through the last chapter on a different computer than my own, and never finished it because it has no cloud saves.

You could have easily copied the save file yourself to a cloud provider of your choice? Cloud is only a marketing word for "someone rented the cheapest (probably insecure) server somewhere and automatically puts sensitive customer-data on it without people getting told where in the world it actually ends up".

I think most people are rather careless with their data, the few people who are careful with it and told you about their concerns are not necessarily paranoid. You only need to read between the lines of some article about big data gained from apps, where it gets sold as the best thing since sliced bread, without a single word about privacy concerns. You may know you dont send something sensitive when having programmed an app, but people using an app can not know.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement