• Create Account

What reference book on C++ should a beginner buy?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

#1 dimescion   Members   -  Reputation: 171

0Likes

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:23 PM

Hello everyone, just signed onto the forum. I'm learning C++ without any prior coding experience and I've bought "Beginning C++ Through Game Programming, Second Edition." which seems to be an excellent tutorial. But Christmas is coming up and I need gift ideas for myself. What C++ reference books would you suggest?

Sponsor:

#2 RH101   Members   -  Reputation: 340

3Likes

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:39 AM

Buying another book may not help.

Consider a subscription to something like www.gameinstitute.com, so you can follow a more structured and practical way of learning C++. I paid for one earlier this year ($99), and while I didn't need the C++ section, others I know have found it to be very helpful.  My main focus was the Unity3D lectures/tutorials on there. 

You can also find an incredible amount of free sources of information for C++, so use a search engine to your advantage. 

#3 brx   Members   -  Reputation: 626

2Likes

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:10 AM

Since you're asking for a reference book I would suggest this: http://www.amazon.com/The-Programming-Language-4th-Edition/dp/0321563840

#4 Godmil   Members   -  Reputation: 703

1Likes

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:05 AM

I'll second the above book and add that anything you buy make sure it supports c++11 (and/or isn't more than a few years old) things changed a lot with c++11.

#5 dimescion   Members   -  Reputation: 171

0Likes

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:42 PM

Thanks! I was losing hope people would respond.

#6 codenine75a   Members   -  Reputation: -2

0Likes

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:59 AM

I liked this author from my sad college days.

http://www.deitel.com/

#7 Paragon123   Members   -  Reputation: 346

0Likes

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:26 PM

Also: 

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Language-2nd-Brian-Kernighan/dp/0131103628/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1387304755&sr=1-1&keywords=c+programming+language

It's about C... but knowing C helps c++

#8 ChaosEngine   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1876

1Likes

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:00 PM

I disagree. Knowing C is useful in and of itself, but if you want to learn C++, learn C++. The two languages have diverged significantly.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

#9 the incredible smoker   Members   -  Reputation: 160

0Likes

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:24 AM

Have some C++ student book for general information,

then buy a book for programming for Windows,

after that buy a book for programming in DirectX,

instead of starting with the game programming book for DirectX.

Ofcourse you can choose other options like for Linux or OpenGL, just a example.

Please note : most gameprogramming books dont give you everything, last page Always refers to buy another book instead,

so your better off with that complete C++ book anyways.

greetings

Visual Pro 2005 C++ DX9 Cubase VST 3.70

Working on : LevelContainer class & LevelEditor

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS