which path should i choose for starting my game dev: college or university

Started by
2 comments, last by Tom Sloper 10 years, 3 months ago

sorry if my english is bad but ill do my best, i want to hear everyone opinion for this matter

currently living in japan and i do have the option to go technical college or university,i do have basic knowledge of C++ and using Blender but they are all self taught, i did go to a lot of open camps for both technical college and university

most of not all university here in japan only offer computer science study and a lot of them are too advances to tell the true and have little to no forces on video game, as for technical college, there is a lot of college that specially on video game with official SDK but i feel i just be "one of the many who enrolled into one but have no degree or a job" since i don't know what are the standard requirement for working in the video game industry

so here is my question what is more favorable to have for my video game career, working experience i can get with college or a degree in computer science from a university

Advertisement

Moving you to our "Game Industry Job Advice" forum -- you might find some good information in the faq for that forum.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I would pick the university rather than the technical college.

The degree seems to be "worth" more and also broader. Don't take me wrong but it may actually be better not to focus solely on "game dev" degree. First, good game companies will look for good programmers, whereever they come from. I even think most would favor someone with a university degree rather than with a technical college one. I'm also pretty sure developping a small game on the side as a hobby would impress them more than a specialized degree.

But, more importantly, if you study computer science in general, you'll leave many doors open for you in the future. Developping games is a very tough business. Many people go through a lot trying to pursue their dreams just to get burn out or quit because the pay or working conditions are lower than elsewhere. So, my 2 cents advice, keep your doors open for your future and pick the more general degree.

what is more favorable to have for my video game career, working experience i can get with college or a degree in computer science from a university

You are ignoring a third option: working experience you can get with a degree in computer science.
Please read this forum's FAQs.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement