Why it is so hard?

Started by
13 comments, last by Greg Quinn 10 years, 2 months ago

I'm Daniel Gomes a 31 dev from Brazil.

I'm a senior financial developer for quite some time but I'm developing my first game, Jetpack Race.

I'm posting on forums, interacting with people and trying to create som network, get to know some other devs, and other kind of professinals. My main goal, for now is to find some 2D and 3D artist to work on the game.

But seems like every single professional is already occupied! No artist seems to be looking for some challenge. I mean, I know that my project does not involve money, only profit-share, but is very ease to find programmers and even musicians, the same doesn't happen for visual artists.

Why is so hard to find visual artists? I'm not on this market so could someone explain why "visual artists" are sooooo busy

I think they dont take freelance projects very often and just work on agencies and marketing companies.

Do you guys have the same feeling about it?

Advertisement

I am not sure how artists could be hard to find, but to tell you the truth, if I were an artist, I too would be skeptical of these "profit-sharing" projects.

It's much easier to pay things up front. Profit sharing is what mostly inexperienced developers would promise. They can't pay, so they promise they would share profit. Is there even a profit to begin with? How can you guarantee profit?

Daniel, it's hard because:

1. Everything is hard.

2. You're not offering fair compensation. "Profit-share" is just another word for "work for me for free," and everybody knows it except you. I'm not saying this to make you mad, or to start an argument. It's a fact. If you have a serious project, you need to write a serious business plan that shows how your business will make a profit, and get some funds so you can pay people up front.

Since your real question is "how do I get artists to work on my project," I moved your discussion to the Production And Management forum.

Good luck!

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I think they dont take freelance projects very often and just work on agencies and marketing companies.

Professional artists take freelance projects all the time. I have a few friends who make a living doing exactly that. They key is that they get paid.

I mean, I know that my project does not involve money, only profit-share, but is very ease to find programmers and even musicians, the same doesn't happen for visual artists.

Perhaps it is just your circle of acquaintances.

This board is mostly programmers, so it is unsurprising to have not enough art types. I have known hobby groups of animators, modelers, and artists who had trouble searching for programmers to build games with. Go to deviantART to find people with the opposite problem.

The key is that these are hobby groups. They are not professional groups. Professional programmers, musicians, and artists work under terms of contracts and legal agreements and they get paid directly for their work.

If you have many like-minded friends you might be able to get a group of hobby developers that includes artists, modelers, and animators. Just don't delude yourself that a non-professional group without a business plan will ever make a profit. Do it because you want some practice and because it is fun, not because you intend to make a profit.

You guys have really good points on the subject.

But, look, I'm a programmer and I work for money, just like everyone else. But sometimes, I just work for fun on small projects. It just depends on how much time I will spend on that. Maybe that project I worked for free can bring me some networking, some contacts and maybe some money. Who knows?

I don't understand why it would be hard to find artists, unless they are occupied. But if they are established in the industry, then maybe they have clout and can charge money for work. But for artists who are just starting, they will usually work for free to build a portfolio.

There are so many projects in this world though, what would make yours so special? Of course, giving them money would make it special enough. hehe.

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

if they are established in the industry, then maybe they have clout and can charge money for work

No maybe about it. Pros don't buy into the "pay you if a miracle happens" thing.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

The people who you search all are getting payd 3000 a month for what they do,

so they have no time for your or mine project.

Note : i am searching 3D artists to ( or a 3Dmax package to use for myself ), i am willing to trade for exclusive electronical music.

What i,m saying is : maybe you can trade your skills here with others, only problem is : were all programmers, do you have more skills maybe ?

I,m willing to make music for you if you do something for my game to.

greetings

S T O P C R I M E !

Visual Pro 2005 C++ DX9 Cubase VST 3.70 Working on : LevelContainer class & LevelEditor

"Profit-share" is just another word for "work for me for free," and everybody knows it except you. I'm not saying this to make you mad, or to start an argument. It's a fact.

While I don't disagree with Tom on the main point, this isn't a rule it's just a safe generalisation to make. Some (probably lots) of projects set up as profit/revenue sharing and pay out. It's just that in nearly all cases, the project never gets finished. People get bored, or it's a hobby project.

If you can find a way to convince people it's a deadly serious commercial project, you can attract people to work with you. It's simply the truth though that 95% of the time, the only way to convince people is to put money up :)

People who take on "pay you if we make money" projects should always do so on the understanding that this won't happen, so that if any money comes up it's a nice surprise rather than they're relying on it as income.

www.simulatedmedicine.com - medical simulation software

Looking to find experienced Ogre & shader developers/artists. PM me or contact through website with a contact email address if interested.

I'm planning the following:

1. Code until June;
  2. Launch Teaser trailer on June;
  3. Buy advertising on Facebook (already tried 2 days advertising and it was awesome);
  4. Advertise on every game website I know after July;

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement