Galaxy Space

Started by
2 comments, last by Buckeye 10 years, 1 month ago

I just finished and uploaded my first "real"(not Ludm Dare stuff) game's 0.2 Alpha version.
Please test it and write some tips
It's in C++ with Allegro 5

Free to download:

http://kovacsmarcell.itch.io/galaxy-space

Advertisement

I can test the linux version once it is ready.

The ships in the screenshots look nice. However, the background has way too high contrast: it's difficult to distinguish the ships from the background.

Hi. I tested it earlier and it's really playing very well!

A couple of suggestions. The spacing between enemy shots is too close - it would be nice to be able to dip in between the shots, let off some return fire, and then move back to safety... at least for the easier enemies.

With that in mind, I'd be inclined to create enemies with different 'difficulty' levels - easier ones could fire less frequently, and the big bad ones fire more frequently. Also, how about introducing non-destructible obstacles, such as asteroids or space debris to add a bit of interest.

Finally, I think the hit-boxes are a little too big - often I thought I'd escaped enemy fire only to loose health.

Other than that, excellent work.

PS - to jmakitalo - the background contrast is fine because it's constantly scrolling (and actually looks pretty good).

A help screen would be nice. I figured out the controls by guessing, but instructions would be nice. I assume that's coming. I find the fade-in and face-out a bit slow. Also, it needs sounds, at a minimum, for the player. I would also hide the cursor while game-play is in progress. You can have it reappear on mouse-move.

Might be nice to be able to move the ship forward and backward as well as up/down - would allow shooting, then move backward and down to avoid return fire.

Graphics are good - the ships, shots and explosions.

Good start!

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly.

You don't forget how to play when you grow old; you grow old when you forget how to play.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement