Elements of Minecraft

Started by
9 comments, last by ShiftyCake 9 years, 10 months ago

Hi everyone!

I'd like to discuss some mechanics of the ever so popular Minecraft. How would you describe Minecraft and what about it makes it so fun and addictive?

If you have also played modded Minecraft, was it the same mechanics that were interesting in vanilla and the modded versions? If not, what changed?

I'm especially interested if your answers include the crafting "tech tree" in some way. One might say "progression".

Don't worry, I'm not creating yet another MC clone. This is research for a completely different game in a completely different genre. :)

Advertisement

Unrestricted building whatever you desire.

No, tech trees, progression is of almost no importance here. Minecraft is a sandbox feast.

Personally, I think you will not learn anything from MC since it's so specific and incredibly simle :)

Also, when you analyse MC do not make a mistake of evaluating the current version, check the early builds (these had not even a survival mode, yet it became a hit).

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Interesting. I personally only played two worlds, one vanilla 1.6 and one heavily modded 1.6 (DW20+extras).

While I did have some fun building in vanilla, I think the real satisfaction came from putting my gathered stuff to use. For me, progress was definitely important. I stopped playing once I had gotten access to every single block/item, which was effectively "the end" for me.

Modded MC is a completely different story. There's a lot more work involved in getting access to stuff. After a few months, I'm still exploring new content in my first modded world. Here, the exploration is a much more central mechanic, but you need to progress in tech- and/or skill trees in order to access it.

All in all, I think finding new uses for stuff and finding ways to get new stuff has been some of the largest enjoyment factors for me.

It's instinctive why really.

It's the ability to create whatever you can think of.
Not only this, but you can use your creations to solve problems.

Maybe the reason why game development is almost like gameplay for many?

Freedom. We all like it, hopefully.

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

1. It was free at some point
2. It was something new to most people
3. It was simple and easy to play
4. It had nice 3D graphics (nice enough)

The last two are why it wasnt dwarf fortress that became a hit.

I guess there is also the social aspect which is extremely important. There was multiplayer and you could show your stuff to others relatively easily.

o3o

I found it quite enjoyable that I can hop on with a few friends when we feel the urge to go on an adventure, build a fortress, and explore far-a-way lands. Unfortunately I don't last that long when it's down to just building things but that's just my take on it.

I loved the explorer aspect of it, being dropped in an unknown and dangerous place, amd trying to survive. Caves can be scary places :)

I also loved building from gathered material to do impressive fortifications and traps for mobs and automating stuff (from doors to chicken breeding machines).

I only played survival. Just building, with instant access to any block, did not appeal to me, but I dont doubt it was a very important part of its success. It enabled people to share impressive screenshots.

What brought me to minecraft:

- Ability to build what I wanted.

- Exploring new blocks with each update.

- Exploring the world

- The fact there is a constant threat that I can ignore (building an enclosed fortress).

I wasn't a big fan of the progression but the first few minutes made sense:

- Cut some wood with your bare hands

- Craft a tool out of it

- Dig a hole

- Try to find coal before it gets dark

- Craft a torch

- Close your hole from the zombies

- Use Stone... Iron... Diamond... tools - meh...

You might look into other similar games with a more interesting and less "forced" progression. Space Engineers comes into mind...

Freedom. We all like it, hopefully.

tongue.png

For me, what Minecraft gets right is:

• The world seems to be its own thing, existing independently of my story or agency. It's not carefully set up to make me feel special or lead me anywhere in particular.
  • Nonetheless, I make a mark on this world, and I make any mark I want.

These two things are important for the feel of the game, to me. It wouldn't be the same if the world seemed to revolve around me. Also, it's important that I can play the way I want in this world. When I make a mark on a normal game world, I can only do so in a few ways that the developers chose. That's not me making my mark, that's me making someone else's mark.

For progression, I didn't care much about it. But I think it's still important; some players will want some structure and some progress. (And when I get bored with doing whatever strikes my fancy, a default progression can give me something to do until a new crazy project bubbles up out of my subconscious.)

I've thought about this a lot and I think Minecraft has three important ingredients:

(1) You make your own story. You're free to decide what to do, where and when. The procedural world really helps to make this work out.

(2) You become attached to the stuff you make. It's easy to start building, but what you make is unique to you. This fosters a sense of attachment and pride in your work.

(3) Working towards an accomplishment. Once you've got the hang of the basics you can plan and build something impressive, and this is the sort of 'satisfying hard work' most people wish real life was about.

I don't think the specifics of the crafting system, mobs etc are important - these are just incidental details.

The Trouble With Robots - www.digitalchestnut.com/trouble

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement