simple SDL framerate?

Started by
29 comments, last by NicholasLopez 9 years, 9 months ago

Hello, I have been doing alot of stuff in Allegro, I want to learn about SDL. I have been having a hard time getting the right type of framerate counter in my SDL program. This is what I did in Allegro:

/* Framerate Processes */
volatile int ticks = 0;
void ticker()
{
	ticks++;
}
END_OF_FUNCTION(ticker)
volatile int game_time = 0;
void game_time_ticker()
{
	game_time++;
}
END_OF_FUNCTION(game_time_ticker)
const int updates_per_second = 60;

/* This is the deltatime, used for timing */
double dt;

inside the main function in my Allegro program, I did this (code has been butchered so you see things related to framerate):

int main(void) {
/* Initialize Allegro */
	allegro_init();
	install_timer();
	/* Initialize Framerate */
	LOCK_VARIABLE(ticks);
	LOCK_FUNCTION(ticker);
	install_int_ex(ticker, BPS_TO_TIMER(updates_per_second));
	LOCK_VARIABLE(game_time);
	LOCK_FUNCTION(game_time_ticker);
	install_int_ex(game_time_ticker, BPS_TO_TIMER(10)); /* The game is 1/10 seconds */
	int fps = 0;
	int frames_done = 0;
	int old_time = 0;
	int frames_array[10];
	int frame_index = 0;
	int ii;
	for(ii = 0; ii < 10; ii++)
		frames_array[ii] = 0;
/* Other stuff*/
	other_stuff();
/* Run Game Loop */
	while ( quit == false ) {
		while(ticks == 0) {
			rest(1);
		}
		while(ticks > 0)
		{
			int old_ticks = ticks;
			ticks--;
			if(old_ticks <= ticks)
				break; 
		}
		if(game_time >= old_time + 1)
		{
			fps -= frames_array[frame_index];
			frames_array[frame_index] = frames_done;
			fps += frames_done;

frame_index = (frame_index + 1) % 10;

frames_done = 0;
			old_time += 1;
		}
		/* do stuff */
		do_stuff();
		/* set dt */
                render_var( 16, 184, TEXT_LEFT, "FPS:", fps, true );
		dt = 1.0f/(updates_per_second*1.0f);
		frames_done++;
	}
/* Finish up */
	return 0;
}
END_OF_MAIN()

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do the equivalent in SDL, every attempt (that i've deleted as well) always came down to using SDL_Delay(1000/framerate) in the end, and while the speed seemed good, every 1 second the game would stop for one frame, and that really bothered me.

I've spent a couple days looking for a simple SDL framerate example, haven't been able to find any. If you can point me in the right direction (not lazyfoo's, i've tried his, and he is C++ whereas I want to do it in C), that would be great, thanks.

Advertisement

Assuming you're using SDL 2, look up these two functions:

• SDL_GetPerformanceCounter
  • SDL_GetPerformanceFrequency

This will give you a high resolution timer you can use to calculate how much time has ellapsed since the last time you checked. With some math you can turn that into frames per second (just make sure to not discard frames that haven't fully ellapsed yet).

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

Thanks, but do you know what I can look up for SDL 1.2 as well? Thanks

Not really, if I recall correctly there were timers but their resolution was like 1ms (and the documentation warned that it was usually less), that may be enough for framerate if you account for rounding errors I guess.

SDL 1.2 is deprecated and not maintained anymore though, you're better off avoiding it if possible. SDL 2.0 is actively maintained and supports modern platforms (including mobile), and fixes several issues that 1.2 used to have. It also has functions to render stuff using the GPU (SDL 1.2 couldn't do that). The biggest loss is lack of CD Audio support, but does anybody still use that for games?

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

The Dreamcast and Wii (not sure about PSP) don't have SDL 2 yet, so for now I just need some SDL 1.2 code.

Here I translated this C++ timing system to ANSI C. Does not work as correctly as I though (doesn't work at all):

http://pastebin.com/Lfixw615

I've spent a couple days looking for a simple SDL framerate example, haven't been able to find any. If you can point me in the right direction (not lazyfoo's, i've tried his, and he is C++ whereas I want to do it in C), that would be great, thanks.

I just read LazyFoo's code. His LTimer class is a VERY simple POD type, you should be able to just slap up a C struct and rewrite the member functions as global functions that take a LTimer * parameter, and you're good to go.

isn't that what I did in the pastebin?

isn't that what I did in the pastebin?

No, it's not. What you did was declare the member variables as global variables and have the global functions manipulate them, treating them like static members of a class. That won't work because in LazyFoo's original code, the member variables are not static at all - each instance of the class has its own member variables, and there are two instances of Timer in main().

Well i'm lost here. It was alot easier making a fps limiter and deltatimer in Allegro than it is in SDL. I know in the long run it'll come out good, but i'm really lost on this.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement