Game idea for survival and conquer RTS feed back plz!

Started by
13 comments, last by zebrakiller 9 years, 7 months ago

Hello Game-dev.net!

I have been playing video games my entire life and I have recently decided that I wanted to design my very own game. I am 24 years-old, I am passionate about video games and also am a young entrepreneur. I recently got out of the military and moved to San Diego, CA to be able to pursue my dream. Before I start my official business and open my own studio, I want to have one release under my belt to gain funding and a good reputation.

There will be 1 to 4 teams of 1 to 4 players, depending on the map and play style. When the game starts, each player will need to choose one of the 18 different characters to control for the rest of the game. Every single character has “pros” and “cons”. Whether one has more health or the other one has less, each of them will have special abilities bound to their class. The players will have to pick a good team composition to best the enemy team.

Players must eliminate the enemy team while also focusing on their own survival by gathering materials. Your character must eat, sleep and stay warm. In order to do so, all the players within the team must build a camp, build items and hunt to be able to eventually knock out the other tribes. There are 6 different classes with 2 subclasses each. Will you pick the Warrior, a strong combatant that lacks inventory slots or will you play the Hunter, an agile character that can track and capture animals to make them his allies?

Here is our official Dev Journal: http://www.gamedev.net/blog/1900-island-troll-tribes/

Looking for Java coder (smartfox) and 2D UI Artists for my Island Troll Tribes stand alone game: Here

Advertisement

Hello! And leave my zebra alone!

Get paid just to listen to an exciting online radio show!

http://mdtn.com/join/77632

Uh-oh. I sense sadness.

My feedback: I have no idea what your game is about except that you can choose characters with abilities that need to survive, so... Good Luck?

On a personal note: Survival requires three things -- Kit (equipment, tools), Knowledge (the skills and ability to use those tools effectively in your environment), and the Will to Survive. Until someone finds a fun "Will to Live" mechanism, all survival games are just crafting, hiding, and hiking to me.

Indie games are what indie movies were in the early 90s -- half-baked, poorly executed wastes of time that will quickly fall out of fashion. Now go make Minecraft with wizards and watch the dozen or so remakes of Reservior Dogs.

It is not a mainly a survival game. It is a team VS team game played in an RTS style similar to DOTA and LoL. However, in Island Troll Tribes(Name of my game), there is no set lanes with minions spawning and towers and blah blah. You are on a wilderness map, with random spawning animals, and crafting materials that you cant to build up your "base" and find and destroy the enemy team.

Uh-oh. I sense sadness.

Umm, what?

Looking for Java coder (smartfox) and 2D UI Artists for my Island Troll Tribes stand alone game: Here

How do you handle playerdeath ?

Uh-oh. I sense sadness.

My feedback: I have no idea what your game is about except that you can choose characters with abilities that need to survive, so... Good Luck?

I find you quite harsh here :)

But don't worry I counter-balance your words and I will say good thing about this idea. Your game seems a lot like the Commandos series (http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commandos_2:_Men_of_Courage), except it's versus a human player.

And I find the idea interesting, especially if the survival side of the game is well balanced. But I'll recommend to have a prototype really early, I sense some big risks. Like your idea being finally just a clone with a modern setting instead of a medieval one, or the mechanism of survival which don't fit with the rest of the game.

How do you handle playerdeath ?

Player death is the only thing I have not figured out yet. I am thinking of having a hardcore and a normal mode, where in hardcore after you die that's it, but there is a certain building that can be made to resurrect you, it will have a CD of course. In normal mode I am trying to figure out a way to reword kills and punish death.

Uh-oh. I sense sadness.

I find you quite harsh here smile.png

But don't worry I counter-balance your words and I will say good thing about this idea. Your game seems a lot like the Commandos series (http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commandos_2:_Men_of_Courage), except it's versus a human player.

And I find the idea interesting, especially if the survival side of the game is well balanced. But I'll recommend to have a prototype really early, I sense some big risks. Like your idea being finally just a clone with a modern setting instead of a medieval one, or the mechanism of survival which don't fit with the rest of the game.

I have never heard of the Commandos series, Is there an English version that I could check out? My game is a stand along game of an old Warcraft 3 player made map called Island Troll Tribes. Don't worry, I have talked to the original creators and they have giving me permission to do this project.

Never mind I used google and found it :)

I find you quite harsh here smile.png

That's what my wife says.

But, you are right. I saw nothing to give feedback about and back-feeded anyway. I think the sig link to "Get paid" for listening to a radio show started my Harsh-o-meter.

Don't worry, I have talked to the original creators and they have giving me permission to do this project.

When people tell me not to worry it usually turns out to be a prudent time to worry.

I read your other thread from March, zebrakiller. I still don't see anything that requires feedback. Did you find team members? What's changed since then? Have you made any progress working with Unity? Do you have a design? I'd love to feed back (though I thought I made a legitimate point about the "Will to Survive").

Off to play "Island Troll Tribes" on Warcraft 3. For you I reloaded this game. From discs. So many discs...

Indie games are what indie movies were in the early 90s -- half-baked, poorly executed wastes of time that will quickly fall out of fashion. Now go make Minecraft with wizards and watch the dozen or so remakes of Reservior Dogs.

I read your other thread from March, zebrakiller. I still don't see anything that requires feedback. Did you find team members? What's changed since then? Have you made any progress working with Unity? Do you have a design? I'd love to feed back (though I thought I made a legitimate point about the "Will to Survive").

In march it was more of an idea and I was thinking about doing it, now we are a few months into development and yes, we do have a team. We have a lot of the basic code written as well as the main client up and running and are starting on actual game play mechanics and I though I would repost to get some feed back and possibly get a discussion going so we can focus on good ideas.

As far as feed back, is it a good idea? would you see yourself playing a game like this? If so, what would you want to see, or what would you not want to see?

Off to play "Island Troll Tribes" on Warcraft 3. For you I reloaded this game. From discs. So many discs...

Good luck, Battle.net on WC3 is more over run by bots then a yahoo chat room.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement