Vim Editor?

Started by
50 comments, last by Nypyren 9 years, 9 months ago

UltraEdit looks like it has the same layout as Sublime Text.

I think you have that backwards ;)

I actually remember using UltraEdit for Windows 3.1

I didn't say which one came first.

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja !

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here !

Advertisement

In order of importance, an editor has to make simpler: navigating, reading, modifying, deleting and lastly, writing code. biggrin.png

Strongly agreed. 8/9 of my most frequently used hotkeys are for navigating/searching existing code.

In order of importance, an editor has to make simpler: navigating, reading, modifying, deleting and lastly, writing code. biggrin.png

Strongly agreed. 8/9 of my most frequently used hotkeys are for navigating/searching existing code.

This is exactly why people like Vim. It has super fast navigation and modification abilities.

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

Vim+ctags is so fast to navigate huge code trees...

In order of importance, an editor has to make simpler: navigating, reading, modifying, deleting and lastly, writing code. :D

This is exactly why people like Vim. It has super fast navigation and modification abilities.
after you extend it with a plugin that understands the language that you're writing :)
To be fair, every games studio I've worked at also extend VS with the VAX plugin for better navigation too ;-)

after you extend it with a plugin that understands the language that you're writing smile.png
To be fair, every games studio I've worked at also extend VS with the VAX plugin for better navigation too ;-)

I personally use VS (and VAX when using C++), but as long as an IDE/text editor/whatever-you-want-to-call-it allows me to navigate code in the same manner that I'm used to, I can use it productively.

after you extend it with a plugin that understands the language that you're writing smile.png

Vim's worked perfectly out of the box with me for all the languages I've thrown at it. What programming languages have thrown it off for you?

Vim's worked perfectly out of the box with me for all the languages I've thrown at it. What programming languages have thrown it off for you?

C++

Last time I've checked.. you don't get "out of the box" (and, with many of the points below you don't get it EVER):

- Language aware autocomplete

- Code navigation

- Function parameter tooltips

- Integrated debugger

- Automatic jump to errors

- Build system with multiple configurations, multiple targets, multiple projects with dependency management

- Source control integration

- Help integration

- Fuzzy search system

I mean.. if you've been doing it cavemen style you don't know how it feels to do it 2014-style... at the end of the day, it's all about how much code you are expected to write. For smallish things.. notepad would do.

As I've said.. I HAVE to write and maintain a lot of code, and I need all the help I can get from my tools.. I've got better things to do than learn another way to cut & paste.

Stefano Casillo
TWITTER: [twitter]KunosStefano[/twitter]
AssettoCorsa - netKar PRO - Kunos Simulazioni

I'm talking about code navigation features that actually understand the language that you're using, across massive code-bases, potentially made up of multiple libraries and millions of lines across thousands of files.

e.g.

Find references - create a list of all lines that use/interact with a particular member variable/function, type, macro, etc...

Go to symbol - type a filter (e.g. "text m_" to find any symbol that contains both 'text' and 'm_' in it's name, such as "TextBox::m_width"), and create a list of lines that declare that variable, global, function, type, macro, etc...

Go to definition - jump to the line that defines the symbol under the cursor, or alternate between declaration and definition of a function.

View call hierarchy - show a tree of calls to/from a function.

Rename - change the name of a symbol across the code-base - e.g. change all interactions with TextBox::w to TextBox::m_width, while all instances Rect::w are left as is.

I'm talking about code navigation features that actually understand the language that you're using, across massive code-bases, potentially made up of multiple libraries and millions of lines across thousands of files.

e.g.

Find references - create a list of all lines that use/interact with a particular member variable/function, type, macro, etc...

Go to symbol - type a filter (e.g. "text m_" to find any symbol that contains both 'text' and 'm_' in it's name, such as "TextBox::m_width"), and create a list of lines that declare that variable, global, function, type, macro, etc...

Go to definition - jump to the line that defines the symbol under the cursor, or alternate between declaration and definition of a function.

View call hierarchy - show a tree of calls to/from a function.

Rename - change the name of a symbol across the code-base - e.g. change all interactions with TextBox::w to TextBox::m_width, while all instances Rect::w are left as is.

Well, you do have to install plugins for these features, but keep in mind that default vim is very lean.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement