• Create Account

Making a 2d browser Game

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

#1 LuckyDice   Members   -  Reputation: 110

0Likes

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:34 PM

This is my first time posting on this forum, so sorry if I am posting in the wrong section. I want to make a 2d multiplayer browser shooter, but am not sure if which languages to do it in. I was thinking of using Angular JS for client side, and PHP for back end. I am still learning those languages and don't know much yet, but I was hoping for some confirmation or a better suggestion in the languages I should use.

Sponsor:

#2 xDarkShadowKnightx   Members   -  Reputation: 405

5Likes

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:35 PM

I would suggest (and im sure many others would too) using HTML5 client-side, and nodejs for the backend. That way everything is in the same language (which should allow for smoother integration between the two). With that said I suggest you use the socket.io library for networking. Its pretty simple to use and is an awesome library! Also.. welcome to the forums! I think you'll like it here :)

#3 LuckyDice   Members   -  Reputation: 110

1Likes

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:35 PM

Thanks for the quick reply :) . You've been very helpful

#4 Buster2000   Members   -  Reputation: 1681

0Likes

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:42 AM

HTML5 front end and node seconded.

#5 Shippou   Members   -  Reputation: 1556

2Likes

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:30 AM

Be aware that you need to have quite a bit of IT knowledge to get Node.js and Socket.io to operate correctly on your server.

If you choose remote hosting service , Node.js & Socket.io are either poorly supported or  complicated to set up .

Edited by Shippou, 15 August 2014 - 02:30 AM.

Reactions To Technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.

- Douglas Adams 2002

#6 LuckyDice   Members   -  Reputation: 110

0Likes

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:33 PM

It might be complicated, but I'm willing to learn :)

#7 Appar   Members   -  Reputation: 103

0Likes

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:51 PM

Have you tried using an HTML5 game engine like Construct2? Its great if you don't wanna write a lot of client side code.

#8 Karsten_   Members   -  Reputation: 1612

0Likes

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:43 AM

I find that using Emscripten C++ for the frontend and Emscripten C++ for the backend has been very successful. Emscripten for the backend uses node.js at runtime so ensures that when serving sockets using the traditional BSD sockets API, you infact serve websockets instead.

http://kripken.github.io/emscripten-site

Coupled with static typing and RAII of C++ and portability to all platforms in existence, it is proving to be a really great solution for games. So good infact that even commercial products like Unreal and amateur / hobby game engines like Unity are starting to use it as their backends.

Edited by Karsten_, 22 August 2014 - 02:45 AM.

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.

#9 smr   Members   -  Reputation: 1653

0Likes

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:55 AM

I second the choice of Node on the back end for your project.

Myself, I've opted for python on the back end for two reasons: I favor the python language, and ctypes makes it very easy to use C++ (using a c api to python) when python isn't fast enough. Care must be taken to keep the overhead of crossing the ctypes boundary low, so most native functions process data in batches.

#10 LuckyDice   Members   -  Reputation: 110

0Likes

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:13 PM

I've used python with the pygame module to make a tower defence game once. is python really a better choice for a backend than node js?

#11 Kryzon   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 3079

0Likes

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:20 AM

You can also use Haxe with the OpenFL library, as it can target browsers:
http://www.openfl.org/

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS