• Create Account

Good open source engine 2d?

• You cannot reply to this topic
15 replies to this topic

#1 ochi12   Members   -  Reputation: 109

0Likes

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:31 PM

Hi,I know the basics of c++ and I'm planning to get into game development using engines. The game I have in mind is a 2D sidescroller rpg game, What engine do you recommend me to use?

I want the engine to be open source and cross platform, altought I'm not interested in porting it to Android or to IOs. If you know an engine that meets all these requirements, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor:

#2 0sok   Members   -  Reputation: 109

-6Likes

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:41 AM

Unreal Engine 4

A single $20 payment nets you source, a lifetime license, and is multi-platform. 

#3 Dexario   Members   -  Reputation: 159

3Likes

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:47 AM

I recommend you SFML: http://www.sfml-dev.org/index.php.

#4 ochi12   Members   -  Reputation: 109

0Likes

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:17 PM

Just SFML? I read that for physics in 2d games I should use something called Box2d. Does SFML takes care of the physics too? Or just the rendering part?

#5 Monkan   Members   -  Reputation: 576

4Likes

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:45 PM

You should check out -
cocos2d - http://www.cocos2d-x.org/
and
moai - http://getmoai.com/

I think they are what you're looking for.
"To know the road ahead, ask those coming back."

#6 HyperV   Members   -  Reputation: 766

4Likes

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:58 PM

look at 

SDL https://www.libsdl.org/

a 2D game engine (Open Source and C++) Try Delta Engine http://deltaengine.net/

HyperV

#7 dejaime   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4002

0Likes

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:19 PM

cocos2d - http://www.cocos2d-x.org/
and
moai - http://getmoai.com/

I wouldn't recommend moai, because it is a tad too complex for beginners, it is designed to be used by more experienced devs.

+1 for cocos2d.

Just SFML? I read that for physics in 2d games I should use something called Box2d. Does SFML takes care of the physics too? Or just the rendering part?

SFML is a multimedia library that "handles" media, system specifics and input. This includes rendering, audio, listening to kb&mouse/gamepads, networking and more.

But that's it, it gives you access to these resources, but it doesn't do any simulation. This means it does no physics, no collision detection...

Box2D is also a library, but it is a simulation one (physics simulation to be precise). This means it cannot render anything it is simulating, it "just does the math". You'd need to interpret its behavior to make it useful. Definitely not meant for beginners. There are many more ways to create physics though, and for a 2D sidescroller Box2D would probably be overkill, unless it is a physics game.

Edited by dejaime, 31 August 2014 - 05:23 PM.

#8 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 20135

0Likes

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:28 PM

With the open source requirement, I'd go with libGDX or cocos2d-x.

Without the open source requirement, I'd recommend GameSalad or GameMaker:Studio, making sure you try out their free versions to ensure they fit your style. They are both known for quick-and-easy 2D multi-platform games.

You could also go for the bigger 3D engines and limit your game to a 2D view of the world, in which case Unity and Unreal are both free options until you are getting enough money to replace your day job, and then their fee is fairly small.

Check out my personal indie blog at bryanwagstaff.com.

#9 0sok   Members   -  Reputation: 109

1Likes

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:57 AM

I'm not certain why I was downvoted. Sure Unreal Engine 4 isn't free and 100% open source(unless you pay a measly $20), but pretty damn close. 

Edited by 0sok, 01 September 2014 - 05:57 AM.

#10 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 20135

1Likes

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:22 PM

I'm not certain why I was downvoted. Sure Unreal Engine 4 isn't free and 100% open source(unless you pay a measly $20), but pretty damn close. 

Two requirements were that it must be open source, and it must be made for 2D. 

It is not open source. It is not 2D, although with some work you can constrain the viewpoint if you wish.

While both the Unreal and Unity engines could probably be made to meet his needs, there are many tools that are a better fit for the stated requirements.

Also, as this is For Beginners, there are special rules laid out in the forum FAQ. "Answer the question that was asked. Unless the question is completely illogical and makes no sense, you should at least attempt to provide a cursory answer before offering up alternatives."  In this case he asked for a very specific set of requirements, and Unreal fails 50% of those specific requirements. Since the answer was technically wrong (fails 50% of his requirements) and it didn't try to answer his question, instead only offering up alternatives, I'm one of those that voted your answer down.

Check out my personal indie blog at bryanwagstaff.com.

#11 0sok   Members   -  Reputation: 109

1Likes

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:53 AM

Two requirements were that it must be open source, and it must be made for 2D. 

It is not open source. It is not 2D, although with some work you can constrain the viewpoint if you wish.

Unreal Engine 4 is 2d capable. Paper2D was released with the latest version (4.4)

So apologies about open source. I assumed he simply wanted access to source.

#12 frankinshtein   Members   -  Reputation: 181

0Likes

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:55 AM

Hi, did you see Oxygine?

madewith.png

#13 Truerror   Members   -  Reputation: 346

0Likes

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:32 PM

Hi, did you see Oxygine?

madewith.png

Ok, I don't know why this one is downvoted. I visited their website, and Oxygine pretty much covers all of the requirements: It's open source, it's designed for 2D, and it's a C++ engine. The docs are pretty complete too.

#14 dejaime   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4002

0Likes

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:16 PM

Ok, I don't know why this one is downvoted. I visited their website, and Oxygine pretty much covers all of the requirements: It's open source, it's designed for 2D, and it's a C++ engine. The docs are pretty complete too.

Oxigine is a relatively young engine with no community at all. It is unnatural at least to recommend this framework to a beginner given it has only a handful of examples. Especially after downvoting a post that recommends cocos2d-x that is really good and has tons of learning resources, including several published books.

#15 Truerror   Members   -  Reputation: 346

0Likes

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:33 PM

Oxigine is a relatively young engine with no community at all. It is unnatural at least to recommend this framework to a beginner given it has only a handful of examples. Especially after downvoting a post that recommends cocos2d-x that is really good and has tons of learning resources, including several published books.

Well, if you put in 'lots of tutorials and a community' into the mix, then cocos2d-x is the only one that fits the bill, and that's really stretching the line, since it's not really that beginner-friendly.

#16 Kryzon   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 2925

1Likes

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:20 AM

Löve2D is desktop cross-platform and includes Box2D physics.
The online documentation has tutorials: http://www.love2d.org/wiki/Category:Tutorials

PARTNERS