Would you Still Play Nintendo 64-Quality Games?

Started by
26 comments, last by zero0055 9 years, 7 months ago
I'd rather play nes or snes games than games with low res 3D and textures that look like ass. It was fine when 3D games were first released, but now I can't stand low res 3D graphics.
Advertisement
I agree that there's too much talk for too few images in this thread. Let us see your favourite nostalgic graphics.

not_sure_if_n64_games_were_actually_bett

I can confidently say that I would play a game that follows a lo-fi art direction, such as pixel art and low-polygon 3d graphics, as long as the game itself is consistent and interesting.
Some developers even go through the trouble of reproducing the shortcomings of classic consoles:
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138974

Graphics that I'm particularly fond of:

rayman_2_the_great_escape_image399161.jp

tenchu_2_598x336.png

lowpoly_chopper.jpg

I played Super Mario 64 again last week. It's not a time thing - that game is flat out amazing. Same goes for some of the other titles. The emulator gets a work out regularly.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

For a while, just a handful of games kept the console selling at all against the Playstation.

This game was perfect. PERFECT! OKAY?

final-fantasy-mystic-quest-02.png

Memorable picks of pics.

Goldeneye
GoldenEye%20007_May1%2010_22_24.jpg

Kirby

kirby-64-the-crystal-shards-review-20080

Pilotwings

pilotwings13.jpg

That it was ;-)

Also the music.

[OpenTK: C# OpenGL 4.4, OpenGL ES 3.0 and OpenAL 1.1. Now with Linux/KMS support!]

final-fantasy-mystic-quest-02.png

People love to have mystic quest, but it was my first rpg, and in hindsight, possibly the best intro to the genre. It feels a bit like a boardgame, but its amazing in its own right.

Plus, the music is just insanely good for such an early title (beats most of FF songs altogether!)

What do you mean by "N64-quality"? I wouldn't play old console games simply because I don't like the blocky pixelated look, but I certainly would play lots of those games if they were rendering at a decent resolution and no other changes beyond the minimum to make the art work.

For instance MarioKart on the GameCube is awesome, and not because of the graphics.

love them, also love playing late 90's games with high res, e.g. Age Of Empires 2 @ 4k. You hardly ever have to scroll!

dungeon keeper 2 also rocks on widescreen / infinite zoom out. You can almost play it on touch screen (almost, its a bit glitchy).

Full screen emulators today are fun, yes its stretched but in the past it was always 4:3 @ 17". Plus the joystick doesn't stick all the time. You can save via memory snapshot and use any control setup you desire (any game).

Sega classics on steam is a great purchase.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement