[Feedback] A poll about your opinions on all things RPG!

Started by
4 comments, last by Ironmaggot 9 years, 5 months ago

Hi all! I am designing an RPG game for my college course, and it's imperative I get feedback on my initial ideas. However, first, I need to find out what makes a fantastic or terrible RPG! Who better to ask about such a thing than fellow gamers, developers and game designers? I'd absolutely love to hear your opinions in this anonymous survey monkey survey, and any comments I get would help me out a lot. Here's the link to the seven-questions survey:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/898ZGV7

Thanks a lot, guys! :)

Advertisement

1: 34

2: GTA series, Elder Scrolls series, D&D
Huge open worlds, with many story lines

3: Tactical/Strategic RPG ( very few can do a good Adventure RPG any more )

4: Endlessly grinding on monsters over and over again.
Go kill X of this, go kill that until X of that drops ...

5: Story lines combined with world design. The "story" has to flow smoothly with little or no interruptions ( grind walls ) .

6: If an RPG is too hard, it "takes" me out of the story. If it's too easy, it feels like an "interactive book" with no real involvement on my end.

7: Has been done before. I hope you do not use a generic story line .

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'll admit that I'm a little dubious of the survey-based approach to design, and more so of the implication that there's a single--or even a dominant--design for a "great" RPG: I think that different people like different things in an RPG, and a game based on aggregate responses won't necessarily please more players than one based on a non-aggregate design. For a few examples: some people like story-heavy RPGs, while others prefer action; some want a lot of statistics to min-max, while others prefer to avoid that; some want an open world, while some prefer a more directed experience.

If I may, I'm inclined to suggest simply making the RPG that you'd like to play: it seems likely to me that if it's something that you'd enjoy, then there's a good chance that there will be others that will like it, and that you're more likely to remain invested in a project that appeals to your own tastes.

If you want feedback on your ideas (which is a good idea in general, I do believe!), I'm more inclined to recommend coming up with an idea and then posting in the Game Design sub-forum for feedback specific to that idea. (Even better if you have a prototype to show!)

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

I agree. If you look at the Final Fantasy series vs Elder Scrolls vs a game like Diablo/Dungeon Siege you have 3 unique and different games.

Everyone has their own taste in games and even the RPG lover enjoys certain aspects of certain styles. I love to read which is why I'm drawn to a more story driven game like Final Fantasy 6 or Chrono Trigger however my brother enjoys the action and customization of Skyrim.

Choose a style you enjoy and go for it. You'll be surprised to find that other people feel the same way.

I'll admit that I'm a little dubious of the survey-based approach to design, and more so of the implication that there's a single--or even a dominant--design for a "great" RPG: I think that different people like different things in an RPG, and a game based on aggregate responses won't necessarily please more players than one based on a non-aggregate design. For a few examples: some people like story-heavy RPGs, while others prefer action; some want a lot of statistics to min-max, while others prefer to avoid that; some want an open world, while some prefer a more directed experience.

If I may, I'm inclined to suggest simply making the RPG that you'd like to play: it seems likely to me that if it's something that you'd enjoy, then there's a good chance that there will be others that will like it, and that you're more likely to remain invested in a project that appeals to your own tastes.

If you want feedback on your ideas (which is a good idea in general, I do believe!), I'm more inclined to recommend coming up with an idea and then posting in the Game Design sub-forum for feedback specific to that idea. (Even better if you have a prototype to show!)

I second this. I did fill out the survey for you.

Filled the survey. Sorry about the ranting essays, though.happy.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement