Game that takes place in real life, allows firing at other players from all over the world

Started by
16 comments, last by Raiko Suits 9 years, 4 months ago
Hello, I would like to pitch my game idea to you to get some feedback. Would you play a game that takes place in real life, allows firing at other players from all over the world, expanding the borders of your empire, having motivation go outside to breath some fresh air and move around.

Basic gameplay is that people are targeting each other on a world map where their real position is marked with GPS signal.

I would like to have your opinion about the game. Which direction should it be developed?
What gameplay elements it should have?

Links
[link deleted by mod] - For leaving questions, comments and other forms of feedback.
Youtube:
- First visualization of gameplay
www.dotillery.com Subscribe to hear about new developments
Advertisement

So If I'm at work and an attack is coming in should I work or defend myself? this game would cause me some priority issues for sure...

" allows firing at other players "

Define that.

Do I pick up my phone and point it at other players in the street ? Do I jump behind trash bin for cover ?

So If I'm at work and an attack is coming in should I work or defend myself? this game would cause me some priority issues for sure...

It might cause some issues for sure :), but here is also a option to log out. I would see this game as a fun way to spend time if you want some break from sitting in front of the screen whole day, some 10-30 minutes to take your mind off the work or if days seem to repeat themselves too much. Alway same road to home either in a bus or on walk (i would not recommend to play behind the wheel), then you can just log in, start shooting others and jumping/running from incoming missiles...who knows maybe you can even home faster and exercise is always good :)

" allows firing at other players "

Define that.

Do I pick up my phone and point it at other players in the street ? Do I jump behind trash bin for cover ?

By firing I mean that from your phone you choose the strenght that missile uses when it shoots out (more strenght, further it goes. By tilting and turning your phone, you choose the direction and angle where you shoot (you try to guess your oponents location by using these trhree things)

So, yes you point your phone at other player and no, carbage bin does not help you. You need to get out of the incoming missiles affect area.

I have seen many project ideas like this on the web, with not one ever entering prototyping.

First I will point out the obvious flaws.

This kind of game will not work in public, unless the place is reserved.

People will run others over, and get them self hurt by playing this game on the street.

Players who just want to grind score will target people in meetings or at work, who can't get away.

This game will need more than a single player, probably four or five to be fun.

Now looking at the above we can see that this kind of game needs, zoning rules, a suspend mode and will appeal mostly to active groups.

Your best bet for a market is appealing to kids.

My advice is get to prototyping as soon as possible, this is a very new field and there is very little data to be found on doing this.

The faster you prototype, the faster you can find problems and the more interest you can build for this game.

Sharing your findings will allow others to speculate and share there own ideas with you.

Some issues with privacy laws arise instantly... "... RL GPS position..." does sound like it is opening up a world of jurisdical hurt for the game dev, no matter if players need to opt in on sending their positions first.

You need to make it watertight so there is NO possibility anyone could hack the game to get GPS positions of people, or GPS positions could be sent by mistake.

Note that ideas is really overused. It pops up here (and everwhere else) on regular basis. It will be hard to compete with such high number of competitors...

Anyway, I would start by checking how existing games of this genre work and what flaws they have. At least the most p[opulat ones "everyone plays".

(unfortunatelly I'm not into these so I have a vague idea what are major games of this kind, just heard about these a lot from various random people - mostly non gamers, seems to be an extremelly casual market)

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

I have seen many project ideas like this on the web, with not one ever entering prototyping.

First I will point out the obvious flaws.

This kind of game will not work in public, unless the place is reserved.

People will run others over, and get them self hurt by playing this game on the street.

Players who just want to grind score will target people in meetings or at work, who can't get away.

This game will need more than a single player, probably four or five to be fun.

Now looking at the above we can see that this kind of game needs, zoning rules, a suspend mode and will appeal mostly to active groups.

Your best bet for a market is appealing to kids.

My advice is get to prototyping as soon as possible, this is a very new field and there is very little data to be found on doing this.

The faster you prototype, the faster you can find problems and the more interest you can build for this game.

Sharing your findings will allow others to speculate and share there own ideas with you.

Hello! Thank you for your response.

I agree that players have to be aware of the dangers while playing in the street.

By zoning rules you mean that the game can be played only in marked area? Like if I go to a park wich is marked as a game zone and people can play only there?

I imagine that the game has global community, character developments, technologies and is about expandin your empire, which means that, if we are online currently, you can shoot at me (I get a warning that I`m in danger area, if your shot is landing close to me), if you hit me, I become part of your empire/team and you grow stronger - you get one more life so if even you get hit later, you just lose your one life, but do not start fight for another empire. All players have chance to start their own empire wihc logo and name.

Thank you for your advice. We try to come up with prototype as soon as possible to start gathering feedback about the gameplay.

Note that ideas is really overused. It pops up here (and everwhere else) on regular basis. It will be hard to compete with such high number of competitors...

Anyway, I would start by checking how existing games of this genre work and what flaws they have. At least the most p[opulat ones "everyone plays".

(unfortunatelly I'm not into these so I have a vague idea what are major games of this kind, just heard about these a lot from various random people - mostly non gamers, seems to be an extremelly casual market)

Hello, thank you for your response! I tried to find something similar from Internet to play myself - some mixture of rpg, strategy and in real environment where gameplay demans little running around also. I found inly Ingress, but it is not intense enough. This is the main reason I started designing the game.

Could you give me some examples of similar games?

Thank you very much.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement