Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Idea for a Poker-based RPG/ Story-Driven Poker Game

Started by NightDive21 Dec 12, 2014 at 1:25 PM 2 replies 4.2k views
Original Post
NightDive21
NightDive21

Hey all! I'm actually quite new to the forums, but I'm ecstatic to be getting my ideas for games out there. I consider myself a pretty casual game designer- I actually design and come up with concepts for fun!

One idea I've always had was a Poker-based RPG game. I also say "Story-Driven Poker Game" because depending on what direction I choose to go with this, it may not be a traditional RPG in the sense that there are stats to "level up" - *bluff base state = 110!* lolz...

Anyways, my idea would essentially be your run-of-the-mill Texas-Hold-Em poker game, but with a bit of a linear progression. The 'stages' would be different locations, each getting (presumably) of greater difficulty than the last. For instance

Level 1 : The Warehouse

Level 2: Arcade

Level 3: Sushi lounge

Level 4: Beach Resort

Level 5: High School

Level 6: BOSS STAGE- Casino

And each of these stages would obviously have opponents and with each stage having a "boss". And of course, like I said the whole thing could be incredibly story driven with great dialogue and memorable characters along the way. There could be opportunities for customization with the money you win as well - outfits, etc.

Now, if he wanted to add ANOTHER layer on top of what would be a fairly simple poker game, my idea may seem a bit outlandish,but would certainly make it more RPG-ish, so bare with me..

In addition to having a cash, there could be an element of combat. So in addition to have a cash amount, you'd also have an HP meter(think YuGiOh- LifePoints). So in addition to winning a hand, you have the opportunity to do some damage to someone's HP (another, probabaly faster way to knock them out of the table). So a person could be outted by whenever their HP or money runs dry. The strength of your attack on someone's HP depends on the the strength of your winning hand:

page1-593px-PokerHandRankings.pdf.jpg

And adding that component on top of it all could certainly create many stats to be increased- attack power - attack animation, HP, etc.

Please, let me know what you think! My ideas are very rough I guess, but I really think this could be a great game. Let me know your honest opinions!

Roots
Roots

I think it's a very cool idea. I think you should build a prototype for the card/battle system first, because I feel that will make or break the game. I'm not much of a poker player so if the play was standard, I wouldn't be too interested. One of the draws of a RPG is to see your character grow and become stronger as they win (card) battles and gain experience, so if that aspect is in there and balanced well, I think you would attract both card-loving and RPG-loving fans.

Servant of the Lord
Servant of the Lord

I'm not a huge poker fan, having played it only occasionally, but your game idea actually sounds really fun.

You could even have minor characters in earlier matches reappear at later tournaments, and maybe even make it to the final tournament to challenge you further, permitting opportunities for development of their character as time passes.

I would consider using their money as their HP, and dress it up as HP with a health-bar for how much money they have left and "damage" sound effects.

I would gear more towards theming the game around poker, but not be too fixated on following the poker rules perfectly.

Also, in my mind, I'm picturing the Phoenix Wright games' over the top characters and super over-done reactions played for comedic effect when they lose a poker hand.

You really need to play Phoenix Wright to fully get the feeling, but try this, this, and this to get the general drift.

I'd also toss in a few jokes and references to other media. Opponent lays down a card face-down to get a new card, "...and I'm placing this trap-card face-down." (Yu-Gi-Oh reference), Opponent playing with dinosaur toys on the poker table while you're trying to play a match - "Mine is an evil laugh!" (Firefly), someone who's a Star Wars fan/nerd dressed in an Obi-Won brown jedi-master robe who keeps trying to use force-persuasion and jedi mind-reading tricks to give himself an edge but keeps failing because he's not actually a jedi ("I sense a disturbance in the force...", "Lucky for you, Mr , my force-sensitivity seems to be blocked." *narrows eyes and glares at you* "Or should I refer to you by your TRUE name, Darth the Sith Lord!!!!").

NightDive21
NightDive21

Thanks to you both!!! I agree with you Roots, I should build a card battle system prototype first to see how it works- I just need a developer to do it for me, as I only really design...hehe...

Also, Servant, I am quite familiar with Phoenix Ace Attorney and believe it or not- I was thinking of an art-style along those lines!!! I love your passion for my idea and could find it being a lot fo fun! I agree, perhaps the money could be health - but the issue becomes what would really be wagered/betted on- it's very abstract to be "raising" HP by a certain amount... plus having HP + Money would just add the layer of customizability in purchasing items with your prize money - but I love your ideas!

Also- LOVE the pop-culture reference ideas.. I audibly laughed at teach of them haha... kind of like 'NIght at the INventory' banter... that'd be nice!

I'm going to add some concepts of design and characters later to this thread the more it's developed!

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.