Operator Overloading C++

Started by
26 comments, last by Ravyne 9 years, 2 months ago

But that code isn't "nothing", it is "something". That "something" has side effects (it prints some text), which means that your program is doing different things whether there is an extra copy or not (either prints some additional text or doesn't print some additional text), and the compiled can't know if that is important or not to you personally.

The mere fact that you print something means that there is now an observable difference between making the extra copy and not. That may, as SiCrane suggested, very well be the deciding factor for the compiler's ability and/or desire to remove the extra copy. And that could be a problem for you; attempts you make to observe if this extra copy is made or not, could actual end up being the reason why it is made.

I see. I guess I'll have to remove the std::cout statement, then step through with the debugger, and count the deconstructors. That should work right?

On a side note, when it comes to overloading operators I have added them to my header file under the public section.
Now whenever I use a dot operator to call a method or etc I see all of my overloads, which makes sense they are all under the public section.
But I was wondering can I move them so they will not show up?I tried to just move them to the private section but the compiler (visual studio 2013) can't see them.

Is there a way to make them 'private' so they do not show when I use the dot operator?

Also if I overload the operator+ using MyObject as a param and then again with a float as the param. Should the float param be const float?

MyObject &MyObject::operator+=(const MyObject &obj) //Normal overload with MyObject as param

MyObject &MyObject::operator+=(float obj) //Should I use const in the param (const float obj)

Advertisement

noodleBowl, the term is "destructor" not "deconstructor". Just telling you this to help avoid confusion in the future.

Second, why wouldn't you want the operators to show up? They are publicly accessible members of the class.

Finally, there's no harm in doing

MyObject &MyObject::operator+=(const float obj)

but there's no real gain either. Because C++ passes by value, the float you pass into the += operator will be a copy.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

Is there a way to make them 'private' so they do not show when I use the dot operator?

That's your editor trying to be helpful. It is trying to offer choices to auto complete whatever you would be typing next.

The built-in list does not filter, it rather stupidly displays a list of everything it can find.

There are many plugins, such as RottonTomato's Visual Assist X or ReSharper or CodeRush, all of them replace the IntelliSense autocomplete list with more realistic values.

noodleBowl, the term is "destructor" not "deconstructor". Just telling you this to help avoid confusion in the future.

Second, why wouldn't you want the operators to show up? They are publicly accessible members of the class.

Finally, there's no harm in doing

MyObject &MyObject::operator+=(const float obj)
but there's no real gain either. Because C++ passes by value, the float you pass into the += operator will be a copy.

You could argue that there is use in defining it const to prevent you from changing the value in the function. Even though it doesn't really make any difference for the generated code (probably, compilers are devilishly smart these days) I find it sometimes helps make my code cleaner and easier to understand. Plus putting const on everything you can is just a good habit to get into. (And not being able to do it in C# drives me up the wall sometimes...)

Though if I'm doing that I usually leave the const off of the function header in the .h file, adding it to the .cpp file only since the caller doesn't really care one way or the other since it's by-value.

You could argue that there is use in defining it const to prevent you from changing the value in the function.

True. Whether that's useful or not depends on the function itself, but in general I'd agree it's good programming practice.

Plus putting const on everything you can is just a good habit to get into.

Agreed. In fact, I'd go further. In some ways, I think variables should be const by default and marked as mutable otherwise, but I understand the historical reasons why C++ couldn't do that.

(And not being able to do it in C# drives me up the wall sometimes...)

Amen brother. Lack of const objects/methods is one of my pet hates in c#.

Though if I'm doing that I usually leave the const off of the function header in the .h file, adding it to the .cpp file only since the caller doesn't really care one way or the other since it's by-value.

Never knew you could do that. Wouldn't it change the function signature and mess up the linker?

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

Never knew you could do that. Wouldn't it change the function signature and mess up the linker?

No, whether the parameters are const or not is not part of the signature.

But to clarify, and maybe I'm wrong, isn't it more accurate to say that the constness of the parameter itself is not part of the signature, but that the constness of an object taken in as a pointer or reference is part of the signature?

In other words a parameter, whether a value, or a reference, or a pointer, const doesn't matter -- but that is not the same thing as that which it is a pointer or a reference to, and its constness, which does matter.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

But to clarify, and maybe I'm wrong, isn't it more accurate to say that the constness of the parameter itself is not part of the signature, but that the constness of an object taken in as a pointer or reference is part of the signature?

In other words a parameter, whether a value, or a reference, or a pointer, const doesn't matter -- but that is not the same thing as that which it is a pointer or a reference to, and its constness, which does matter.

Nope. Const is a compiler-enforced "promise" that can be easily violated with casting or aliasing. AFAIK, the linker doesn't even see it, since the compiler would have done all the enforcement work ahead of time.

Edit: Actually I think I see what you're getting at. And I think you're right. Const has to be part of the signature if the pointed-to object is const, because the compiler has to enforce that you don't pass const objects to parameters that take objects as non-const. But if you're taking it by value it doesn't matter because the value is copied and the copy will be const/non-const no matter what the source was.

Nope. Const is a compiler-enforced "promise" that can be easily violated with casting or aliasing. AFAIK, the linker doesn't even see it, since the compiler would have done all the enforcement work ahead of time.

Edit: Actually I think I see what you're getting at. And I think you're right. Const has to be part of the signature if the pointed-to object is const, because the compiler has to enforce that you don't pass const objects to parameters that take objects as non-const. But if you're taking it by value it doesn't matter because the value is copied and the copy will be const/non-const no matter what the source was.

He is right indeed, I was writing it up again but you both explained it already.

Quotes from the standard are metioned here on SO: http://stackoverflow.com/a/3681190 and in plain english the post below.

//Operator+

MyObject MyObject::operator+(const MyObject &obj)
{
  MyObject tmp;
  tmp.val += obj.val;
  return tmp;
}

This is off-topic, but this does not look correct. I believe you would want tmp.val to contain (this->val + obj.val).

I'm going in... Cover me...

//Operator+ (refactored to trip up JPs)

MyObject MyObject::operator+(MyObject obj) {
  obj.val += val;
  return obj;
}
void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement