CWPA-AS - Is this a good starting point for a career in Game Development?

Started by
10 comments, last by NinamoriEri0 9 years, 1 month ago

I'm currently going to college for CWPA-AS (Computer Programming and Analysis) with tracks C++ & C# chosen. My plan is AS degree -> Internship (pref paid) -> Job -> CWPA-BS (for job security). My question is how exactly should I branch into game development? Do I just choose an internship with a game developer? One of my courses is named "Internship", and I figure I can choose from, or any place I can find.

What I am asking is... What should be my timeline on doing things? This is coming from someone who didn't do all that well with online tutorials, but has always been fairly interested in game dev, engines, and the back end of things (no comment). I do have some VERY BASIC programming skills (visual basic, and some scripting). I'm currently a [confused] undergrad in college.

My other problem is that I've read that most places want a Computer Science degree which involves lots of math, but my issue is... I'm TERRIBLE at math. What do I do?

Thanks for reading.

Advertisement

The typical HR filter in most parts of the world is a bachelor's degree in computer science. Regionally this may vary, in some regions of the world the formal education is less required.

Being bad at math may be an issue, as you may need to spend time doing tasks you are bad at or dislike. Just remember that primarily programmers set up the logic for the math. As the programmer you aren't computing the numbers yourself, instead you are setting up the formulas to accomplish the goals.

Everyone's path is unique. That plan may work for you, but it looks like you are placing a lot of emphasis on a rather unlikely event -- the ability to get an internship at a game company. There are not many game companies, and not many of them offer internships to students. Even once you have completed your formal schooling it may take a while to find a studio who will interview and hire you.

1. What should be my timeline on doing things?
2. didn't do all that well with online tutorials, but has always been fairly interested in game dev, engines, and the back end of things (no comment). I do have some VERY BASIC programming skills
3. I've read that most places want a Computer Science degree

1. Depending on where in the world you live and what kind of game job you want (neither of which you clearly specified), your primary focus should be on your education, and your secondary focus should be on making games.
2. Is it that programming is your desired role? Are you passionate about programming?
3. For programming jobs, yes, that's true. Are you sure programming is your passion?

By the way, I moved this thread to the Game Industry Job Advice board. You ought to have a look at this forum's FAQs.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

but my issue is... I'm TERRIBLE at math

Don't let a natural difficulty with math deter you from your passion. Maybe you can find some inspiration from these guys. I think they provide a very interesting and inspiring perspective.

but my issue is... I'm TERRIBLE at math

Don't let a natural difficulty with math deter you from your passion. Maybe you can find some inspiration from these guys. I think they provide a very interesting and inspiring perspective.

The other big issue is that I would have to do 4 years in college (realistically 5 years) to get a computer science degree, and it would be exponentially harder.

On one hand I could do what I plan to do now, get a job, do game dev. on the side, and consider a computer science degree down the road.

You do not need a degree to get a job in the current economy, this is true.

You need to have the skills, and be able to convince an employer that you have the skills.

There are some jobs that are harder or impossible to get without a bachelor's degree.

A bachelor's degree from a reputable school is also a credential that testifies to an ostensible level of skill (see the above need to convince an employer) as well as the ability to follow through on something difficult.

There are very few programming jobs, in my experience, for which an associate's degree is helpful at all. If you have the skills, you don't need an associates, and the associate's degree as a credential isn't going to open doors.

There are very few programming jobs, in my experience, for which an associate's degree is helpful at all. If you have the skills, you don't need an associates, and the associate's degree as a credential isn't going to open doors.

I didn't come here to try to be obtuse, but I have to disagree. For me I think that a structured program will help me learn the basics, and the rest I can supplement with online materials, books, or whatever else. The way I see it is I'm 20 years old no degree, only 1 year experience, and the more time I spend doing jack all is wasting my potential, and making getting hired more unlikely.

I didn't come here to try to be obtuse, but I have to disagree. For me I think that a structured program will help me learn the basics, and the rest I can supplement with online materials, books, or whatever else. The way I see it is I'm 20 years old no degree, only 1 year experience, and the more time I spend doing jack all is wasting my potential, and making getting hired more unlikely.

So, you don't have the skills you need to get a job.

You can either get some of them through formal education and then try to convince someone to hire you so that you can learn the rest on your own, or you can get all of them through formal education.

The advantage of the latter is it also gets you a credential that would open doors. Any applications that would get filtered out because the applicant does not have a degree are going to be filtered out if the applicant has an AS.

Dave please help me understand here.

From what I understand I'm currently going to a school for an AS degree (CWPA-AS) so I can become a "proven student" so I can go to uni, and get a BS in Computer Science. I can't get into a University straight away due me fucking up a bit in HS.

So CAN I go AS (where I am) to a Uni for a BS in Computer Science? I want to go to USF, but I can't seem to find a Computer Science program there.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as dull, but I'm just really trying my best to understand here.

Community College -> Four Year Degree is an excellent plan.

Community College -> Industry is not.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement