What if the Internet goes down?

Started by
68 comments, last by JohnnyCode 9 years ago

We only had the internet for what? 20 years? I don't think humanity as a whole is already that reliant on the internet that it cannot go back.

With out internet or computers ...

I have no bank account, and no way to get/spend money.

I have no way to prove I am why I say I am. [*1]

I have no way to get to my job. [*2]

I have no medical records, and no way to get medical insurance coverage.

*1 - In the US your identity is ran through several governmental databases .

*2 - Modern cars have too many sensors and computer parts to operate without them. Bicycles have a limited range. (( I'm sure SOMEONE will eventually suggest riding horses to and from work ))

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Advertisement
I have no bank account, and no way to get/spend money.
I have no way to prove I am why I say I am. [*1]
I have no way to get to my job. [*2]
I have no medical records, and no way to get medical insurance coverage.
You will have to talk to a teller.
People were real before the internet, and "the man" did not burn all non-electronical personal identification.
Get an older car. Wait for manufacturers to make new cars that work.
Hospitals were real before the internet. They didnt just burn all the records once they could store it on a computer.
No doubt there would be a transition period of having to adapt existing systems, and it will be a logistical nightmare, but to say that we are completly reliant and cannot go back is rather shortsighted. The internet is new, hell, many places still dont even have widespread internet, so civilization will not all of a sudden cease to function without it.
Contrary to what people want to believe, Humans are extraordinarily adaptable to changing circumstances.

Actually if we were thrown back to, say, the 1970s or 1980s, I'd consider that a pretty cool thing to happen.

No RFID passports, no biometric surveillance, no drones. Oh, and no gene-manipulated food either, yay.

No buggers with cell phones ringing in the theater and in concert. No FUCKING cell phones!

And no Facebook, Twitter, and all that crap!

Also I could wear bell-bottoms, grow long curly hair, have a mustache and wear a gold necklace and look cool doing so.

Also I could wear bell-bottoms, grow long curly hair, have a mustache and wear a gold necklace and look cool doing so.

Mens-Floral-ShirtsTrends-from-1970s.png

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

There is some type of facility, a tower of some sort, that if that was either hacked or damaged, it would cause the whole internet to go down. I heard of it on a report. Let me see if I can find it.

A solar flare could hit the Earth tomorrow and return modern society to the dark ages.

Is it possible? Sure. Is it worth worrying about? Not so much.

There is always a way for the world to end. Somehow it keeps on ticking...

Carrington event

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859

"Telegraph pylons threw sparks. Some telegraph operators could continue to send and receive messages despite having disconnected their power supplies"

"Aurorae were seen around the world, those in the northern hemisphere even as far south as the Caribbean; those over the Rocky Mountains were so bright that their glow awoke gold miners, who began preparing breakfast because they thought it was morning."

. a lot of dangerous situation had to be dealt with (shutting down and containing all the nuclear plants until the control systems could be brought back up,

Fukushima went out of nuclear reaction becouse of cooling system colapse after electric shorting beacouse of tsunami injected water.

We may aplause ourself that humanity will survive, but after masive damage to ecosystem it may just go off as well.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement