Cross platform GPU computation for real time ray tracing rendering engine!

Started by
22 comments, last by L. Spiro 9 years, 1 month ago

Talking about Vulkan on PS4:

“Let’s say I write a game for the Steam Box and the PlayStation 4 supports Vulkan, the Steam Box supports Vulkan. It wouldn’t be that much more work for me to have my game work on the PlayStation 4. Whereas right now if I want to develop the game for the PlayStation 4, I have to learn their special custom API, that has shader languages that are different than what I’m used to, and I’m pretty sure that I have to send stuff in text instead of binary form.”

Too many projects; too much time

Advertisement

Talking about Vulkan on PS4:
http://gamingbolt.com/ps4-should-support-vulkan-ps4s-api-not-completely-native-for-current-gen-yet-brad-wardell

keep in mind that's one dev talking about what he thinks Sony should do, not a Sony spokesman saying that Sony is actually doing any of that...

And I have no idea what he's talking about with text vs binary shaders -- that's an OpenGL vs every other API issue... And the bit about "native" and prev-gen upgrades makes no sense!
Terrible journalism, printing out of context waffling conversation snippets without explanation :(

For quick portability's sake, it would be nice to see Vulkan on PS4, but they've got 2 gfx APIs on there already, so I dont think it's likely.

I agree. But the first step is start talking about it. Then, hopefully, we will get (closer to) there.

DX12 on XBox, so why not Vulkan on PS4? Is it crazy and wishful? :)

Too many projects; too much time

Is it crazy and wishful?

Largely.
Microsoft is always going to put their latest and greatest Direct3D on their new consoles, so using that to imply that there must be a chance Sony would add Vulkan is a fallacy.
There’s really no reason Sony would add Vulkan when they already have 2 API’s and one is fairly close to Xbox One’s already (meaning compatibility/cross-platform already exists to a decent degree).

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement