Random Number Generation

Started by
70 comments, last by ApochPiQ 8 years, 12 months ago

And that's the paradox. Obviously I wouldn't want to tell you anything specific, lest it defeat the purpose of encrypting anything in the first place.

We couldn't give a damn about the data you are trying to encrypt, we care about the type of protocol you are trying to establish.

Will this data need to be transmitted to and decrypted by a remote user, or is it just meant to be stored? What physical medium will be used to store and/or transmit the data? If transmitted, how do you propose to share the one-time pad with the remote user? That sort of thing...

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Advertisement

Oh, sorry, I thought I made that clear in a previous post. It will be encrypted, sent to a user over the Internet, then decrypted by that user. The data will be sent in real time and not stored on any hard drive. I have a method of sharing the key and that shouldn't be an issue.

Whether truly random numbers exist is a question for philosophers, and not a particularly interesting one,

As someone who is more philosophical in nature than not, I can certainly vouch for this statement, although, I do have to disagree with the "notp particularly interesting" portion. But that's just me; I'm weird. To elaborate further, part of the philosophical debate around this can come from the Buddhist concept of "dependent arising" meaning, that everything that IS is a direct result (and thus explicitly predictable) from what WAS. This can also be applied to the function of the human brain, thought, as well.

On a molecular level, neurons function by a very specific mechanism; the differential in magnetic fields based upon the presence, and movement, or either positively or negatively charged ions - particularly sodium and calcium ions. This is what produces the electrical activity of the brain. The "differences" in thought and learning come from the sheer numbers of neuron and how they are interconnected. This can also be thusly affected by factors such as diet (which is the only way to obtain neurotransmitters and their precursors, such as choline -> acetocholine. Even that natural tendencies and urges are predictable, as was shown by experiments involving rats in which they were given access to multiple water-based solutions (which were tasteless, odorless, and colorless) containing a single type of chemical component. What researchers found was that the rats developed a pattern throughout the day in which they consumed each type of water. This was based solely upon the need for each type of chemical and had no factor of "preference" at all. Nursing rats also consumed large amounts of the solution containing calcium chloride, which one would expect.

What's the point? The point is that even is basic needs, desires, and even thought can be shown to be dependent upon simple and predictable molecular reactions, then is thought even random? Are we truly individuals? And if our thoughts, needs, and desires, can be show to be completely predictable, is there even true randomness, or is it merely a baseless concept that we all predictably believe exists?

;-)

Yeah that's right.... The morning mind-blowing thought for today!

I don't intend to use any overly complex protocols anyway.
Yet you want to use the most complex, most annoying, and most troublesome and error-prone protocol in existence. One-time pad key generation and management is a nightmare. It's what makes one-time pads impractical.

Get real. I've been smoking the same weed in the late 1980s. It was when the kool kids exchanged mail via UUCP (or other stone age technologies like Fido and what they're all called). Yes, I'm talking about the time when you were cool if you owned a 1200 bps modem. Not like anyone had anything interesting to say, or that they couldn't have used the phone to talk to people who went to the same school and lived in the same town, but that just wasn't cool. Not like any other person would reasonably have had any interest in anything that anyone from our group had to say anyway.

So, all of us being security experts, we used one-time pads to protect our messages. At first, we used a moderately complex homebrew substitution cipher (basically 4 interleaved binary rot13-variants with a different offset each) with incremented each offset with every character encoded to hide patterns. This one delivered surprisingly well for such a naive approach (except the key length was, well, 32 bits...). But being security experts, we figured that this was not good enough. Someone came up with one-time pads, which sounded really cool, so we used that. We distributed the one-time pad (which, lacking a truly good random number generator, probably was not much of a one-time pad, although we tried to make it as good as we could) on CD-writeables.

It was the time when a CD writer would cost a fortune and writeable CDs weren't precisely cheap either, but sure enough, all the kool kids had a burner. Burning a CD required a powerful computer with a lot of RAM, and burning took like half an hour during which you could do nothing else on that computer (if you were wise, you wouldn't even touch the mouse!), and one of three CDs came out broken, either thanks to buffer underrun or for no particular reason, or just because CD writeables suck.

So, for a group of 8 people, you wasted a week generating a disk full of kinda-real-random data (much like you would leave the computer on over night just to raytrace a 320*200 scene of a few transparent marbles on an infinite plane) and a complete afternoon burning CDs. And then you had to meet in person to distribute a copy to everybody. We didn't opt for meeting under a bridge like in a spy novel.

Guess what happened a few months later. Hint: recordable CDs are not as robust and error-free as you might wish. And yeah, people do lose them and roll office chairs over them, too.

In one word, from a usability perspective, one-time pads are just "WTF".

On the other hand, established algorithms (say, Twofish or AES, if you will) with a reasonable key length (128 bits, or 256 if you are really paranoid) are easy to manage, reliable, and are just as secure.

This is quite comparable to taking a photograph. Something at 20 meters distance is "infinite", and moving it further away still only makes it "infinite". It is unfeasible (and, above all, economically forbidding) to break a 128-bit key, and it is simply impossible (with our present understanding of the universe) to break a 256-bit key. A 16384-bit or 4294967296-bit key is equally impossible to break, and a 2MB one-time pad is also impossible to break. There is, however, no difference between "impossible" and "impossible". The difference is only in the ease of handling.

And that's the paradox. Obviously I wouldn't want to tell you anything specific, lest it defeat the purpose of encrypting anything in the first place. Suffice it to say, I want to be able to send data that I will be 100% certain that if any snooper were to intercept it, it would be impossible for them to see the information. (And yes I know about people being hit with wrenches, etc.)

As has been explained countless times in the thread, computational security guarantees will get you there no problem. You don't need "perfect security", in fact you don't want it because it is actually much more brittle in practice than a straightforward application of modern cryptographic techniques, and if you are asking about how to generate random numbers then you certainly do not have the kind of resources needed to actually achieve and, more importantly, maintain perfect security in an imperfect world where data can get lost, people can forget stuff, and opponents don't play by the rules.

Furthermore, this mindset of "I want 100% security and nobody will tell me otherwise" is precisely why people gravitate towards the OTP and why they are advised otherwise. It's not a sustainable security model. It is a mistake. You are not the first person to get it in your head to implement the next big super-duper unbreakable encryption and you certainly will not be the last. Meanwhile, the rest of the planet grounded in reality uses modern, real world cryptography, which buys them conveniences such as instantaneous, very fast and secure encryption, public key schemes (it's actually provably impossible to design an unconditionally secure public key scheme, by the way; how unfortunate) which power modern ecommerce, and also reliable digital signatures, and more cool gadgets like zero knowledge proofs and homomorphic encryption, which in turn allow things like electronic voting, secret sharing, and the like.

Yes, the OTP is cute and alluring and all, it has a tendency to enthrall and capture the imagination of people, blah blah blah, we get it. But it really isn't all it's cracked up to be, and if I may say so myself there are much more interesting things out there to learn about than the OTP, which is ultimately a fairly boring, unenlightening algorithm that isn't really that useful in practice, and is also pretty hard to use correctly (putting aside for the moment the fact that security-oriented software is in general hard to write robustly, no matter how simple the protocols involved may be) because key generation is hard, key distribution is even harder, and key reuse is fatal.

Oh, sorry, I thought I made that clear in a previous post. It will be encrypted, sent to a user over the Internet, then decrypted by that user. The data will be sent in real time and not stored on any hard drive. I have a method of sharing the key and that shouldn't be an issue.

I see no mention of authentication here. If you're going to share the protocol, then share it in its entirety. If knowledge of the protocol weakens it, then you have completely failed to understand Kerckhoff's principle. Is it robust against impersonation? Is it robust against an MITM? If the receiver does not understand what he receives (or, say, the message is detected to have been modified in transit), what are the procedures that the two parties involved should follow? Is the protocol interactive? Is it vulnerable to replay attacks? Can the entropy source of the parties be poisoned, and if so, is that detectable? If one party is compromised, does the protocol still offer forward secrecy? Does the protocol support more than two users, if needed? Does this protocol offer any kind of deniable encryption features (which something using the OTP will probably want, otherwise what the hell is the point)? These are (a small list of) the kinds of questions that really matter, a protocol doesn't just turn perfectly secure just because it happens to be using the OTP.

I'm sorry I have to say this but based on your previous posts I believe you don't know nearly as much about cryptography and computer security as you think you do (actually, your second post already revealed that quite plainly, it pretty much sounds like you just stumbled across the Wikipedia page on the OTP and said to yourself "I want this").

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

I do know quite a bit about security, especially cryptography

This just reeks of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Do you honestly believe that whatever data you're transmitting needs to be more secure than (for example) the entire world's financial systems, military secrets or government branches who specialize in this stuff?

If you answer yes, you are either deluded, or you are trolling.

Hello to all my stalkers.

>If you are looking to make some kind of exploit truly impossible...

You just answered your own question. That's exactly what I need.

If I understand correctly access to computer (server?) to get the algorithm and seed of data is the attack vector but access to the same computer to get static data is not? You've also said you have secure channel to pass the "key" to the other peer. If your secure channel can handle few MB of "true random" data (aka "the key") why not use it to transfer the message itself and save on cost of encryption?

As others said many times in this thread you will go much farther using transparent algorithm that will generate cryptographically secure data with only small seed transferred using secure channel to the other peer.

Well I can say to both samoth and Bacterius: I already know OTP is a huge pain, but if used correctly, I don't see why it couldn't work. The problem is that the alternative is any of these other algorithms which, unfortunately, are potentially susceptible to cryptanalysis. All the arguments of it taking several lifetimes to analyse are BS, because:

A: if you wait a few years/decades, who knows what kind of computing technology will be available, which might be able to crack it in a day!

B: Quantum computing threatens to make many algorithms obsolete, and the ones that won't be are often ones that only work ON quantum technology (which frankly, will probably not be available to the persons transmitting these communications). And even those may be cracked at some point.

C: Some algorithms are deliberately given a back door, for the public to only discover too late, after they've been using the algorithm on their "private" data, thinking it was secure! The NSA did this to a particular example, of which I just can't recall the name at the moment.

D: There are trojans that can infect millions of computers worldwide, and force them to perform background jobs that just constantly process cryptanalysis, on the off-chance that one may crack a key. But given enough processors enough time, well, you know what they say about monkeys and typewriters.

So you see, given the circumstances, I don't think wanting perfect secrecy is unreasonable. Maybe impractical, but certainly not unreasonable.

And if you think I don't know anything about cryptography just because I didn't know much about random number generation, it's only because I've studied cryptography, but haven't actually used it before for one simple reason: I don't trust it. And the reason I don't trust it is because it is imperfect. But at a certain point, there comes a time when unfortunately it may be necessary to rely on electronic communications, and when that time comes, you NEED something secure!

To answer your questions, Bacterius:

- My authentication prevents impersonation. The reason I didn't mention it in this post was because I really only wanted to know how to generate truely random numbers. The rest of this just branched off from that.

- Assuming it's authenticated and encrypted adequately, I'm not sure how a MITM attack would happen. Unless I'm missinterpretting your implication.

- The data should go through fine unless there's an error or tampering, in which case the data can be re-transmitted with a different section of the OTP.

- Interactive in what way? I was thinking of having it pretty much automated.

- In this situation, I'm not sure how there would be a replay attack. Do you have an example?

- The entropy of the key is set up ahead of time and there's no way it can be tampered with because it's done completely privately.

- If one party is compromised, we may as well just eat bullets.

- Doesn't need more than 2 users (or computers anyway).

- The encryption is deniable to the extent that no data is ever stored long term and is erased after each session.

if you wait a few years/decades, who knows what kind of computing technology will be available, which might be able to crack it in a day!

In the future there might also governments with brain scanning satellites, able to scan and retrieve your very thoughts and memories if you ever go outside (or even inside, with some clever use of bending light and such).

What steps are you taking to prevent this (roughly equally relevant scenario) from being an issue?

Hello to all my stalkers.

>In the future there might also governments with brain scanning satellites, able to scan and retrieve your very thoughts and memories if you ever go outside (or even inside, with some clever use of bending light and such).

What steps are you taking to prevent this (roughly equally relevant scenario) from being an issue?

If that ever became close to possible, I would end my life.

(And don't vote me down for saying that! Some people keep voting me down for some reason and I don't know why. I have every right to express my opinions!)

(I see you took my advice and didn't vote me down ;P)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement