Windows 10 - "The Best Windows Ever" ?

Started by
93 comments, last by L. Spiro 8 years, 12 months ago

Hi,

Yep - That's right: "The Best Windows Ever," Microsoft claims. The publicity caught a little extra attention from me when I read the line "....including Xbox on your PC." Microsoft says that you can buy a new Win 8.1 device and upgrade to Win 10 for free.

Now, before I get blasted for spamming here, I want to say that I am really looking forward to this Win 10. I stayed with Win 7 because it met all my needs and there really wasn't the incentive to upgrade until now.

Games and game development issues are the core of my computer use, so I want to remake my approach to technical issues in the prospect that I may be making a big jump in game dev evolution with the new Win 10. Bring the DirectX 12. Bring the backward compatibility that we wanted. I am ready for the next generation!

Questions: Has Microsoft finally gotten the message from the PC gaming community? Are we going to see a PC gaming revival like never before?

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Advertisement
PC Gaming never went away...

I never said the PC gaming died.

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Nor did I say it was dead?

You said 'revival', 'revival' implies it is coming back from a bad state, but it hasn't been in a bad state; people cry about the 'death of PC gaming' and all that bullshit but it has never been true, just click-bait headline garbage.

So there is nothing to 'revive' as it was never gone in the first place.
"revival
[ ri?v?v?l ]
NOUN
noun: revival · plural noun: revivals
an improvement in the condition or strength of something "

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Yes, all of which implies it was in some kind of 'bad condition' but I'm saying it wasn't, it never went away, it never "got worse" (and certainly not due to anything MS did) so there is no 'revival' to be had.

If you want to buy into the media 'lie' and the wailing of idiots then fine, carry on, whatever... but you are wrong, my own gaming experience over the last 15 years tells me this (and that includes on Win8.1 so fuck knows where the 'compatibility' stuff came from either...).

I would say that PC gaming lagged behind Consoles and Browser game growth. The other game media had strong growth and the PC gaming was underachieving in a lot of aspects.

When you go to the local video gaming section of a store, then what do you see? .... little or no PC games available. When you go online to your favorite video game store, you are going to see big game titles made mainly to target consoles. When you look at browser game growth, it has far outpaced PC gaming growth for years, too.

Granted, almost all of the big game titles are also available for PCs, but for many people it seems to me that PCs did not have the attraction to take customers from consoles in large numbers because people could do everything that they wanted with a console. The only advantage for PCs for most people was that laptops were relatively portable, but they lacked gaming performance in "affordable" models.

Now with next generation API and hardware games on the horizon, even the lowly laptop will have a big increase in gaming performance.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Little list of things I have to point about:

Worst things: the network management is a complete disaster:

- cannot switch from a private to a public network (the opposite is in the useless homegrup window).

- cannot see the security level of a network before connect to it.

- all the rest of the network management is scattered around without logic

- cannot easily have multiple homegroups in a network

- still no netwroks map

The GUI is more inconsistent then ever:

- cannot choose which updates to install

- cannot completely disable Defender

- the old control panel is still present and with two representation modes.

- however the old control panel lost some elements (like windows update)

- some elements are still from the NT5.x-era

- the internet options is still a complete crap.

- WinSat is still used to calibrate the OS, however the average Bob cannot call it via GUI
- White, white everywhere! My poor eyes are bleeding! And no, high contrast theme are not an alternative!
- PowerShell is still not the default terminal!
- .Net 3.5 is still not pre-installed with the OS, as VC runtimes and DX legacy runtimes!
- Still tons of duplicate applications (Win32 vs Store)

Start menu:

- I don't care about Bing result, and I cannot disable them!

- The search GUI is slow and inconsistent with the start menu

- If you remove all the tiles from the start menu, a lot of space is wasted

- "all apps" sub-menus is a mess, sub-folder elements are inconsistents

Store applications:

- There is no consistence between theme of the default Microsoft applications

- Microsoft default applications, which are part of the OS, have ADS (which I block via hosts with the help of inspect.exe)

- Cannot have multiple instance of store applications! Calculator, Project Spartan, Reader and Office applications are completely useless without instancing!

- Camera still do not show webcam options

- Skype is still a pain in the ass compared to the win32 version.

- Project Spartant still sucks on W3C

OS installation:

- Local account option is still hidden!

- Recovery partition is unnamed!

- Still unable to choose what component to install!

Personal opinions:

- Circle avatar are ugly.

- Italian voice of Cortona is a joke.

Anyway, if they will fix at least the network management it will be still better then Windows 8.x

"Recursion is the first step towards madness." - "Skegg?ld, Skálm?ld, Skildir ro Klofnir!"
Direct3D 12 quick reference: https://github.com/alessiot89/D3D12QuickRef/
I somehow always had the feelings that win 8.1 brings lots of waste which negatively affects gaming performance. Although I can't actually back this up by facts.

Maybe the above will mean that win10 will have the opposite effect

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

Questions: Has Microsoft finally gotten the message from the PC gaming community? Are we going to see a PC gaming revival like never before?

No (there's no message, just disconnected random and often-unsubstantiated whining) and no (there's nothing wrong with the state of PC gaming, and nothing that Windows 10 will do to improve things in any way).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement