Modern city

Started by
7 comments, last by Bumblefish2 8 years, 11 months ago
Hi I'm making a game that's set in a modern city but I can't think of places that can be in the areas of the city.
The areas are the airport, bronkton (like the Bronx), Chinatown, the city hall area, crackton (seedy area with a lot of addicts), downtown, financial district, Gold Coast, industrial district, little Mexico, little Sicily, midtown park, midtown sports arena, mini Vegas, red light district, restaurant district, sunny springs resort, the docks, the ghetto, and the suburb. I need buildings and places that can be in each of these areas.
Advertisement

The best thing you can do is visit the areas that inspire you yourself and take a lot of photos. The second best thing is having someone else do that for you. The third best thing is searching for images of these areas online, and using those for reference.

The best thing you can do is visit the areas that inspire you yourself and take a lot of photos. The second best thing is having someone else do that for you. The third best thing is searching for images of these areas online, and using those for reference.

I've tried that before but I found I'm still struggling, the research bit anyway not the other two

Have you tried Google Street View? Search the areas in street view and take notes for all the buildings that you see, and anything that catches your eye.

Have you tried Google Street View? Search the areas in street view and take notes for all the buildings that you see, and anything that catches your eye.

I can try that I guess, I'll give it a go

I can try that I guess, I'll give it a go

Still struggling slightly I can't get a good street view of any red light districts

Plenty of images here https://www.google.com/search?q=red+light+district&safe=off&biw=1508&bih=920&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=US9FVduTG6mt7Aa6o4CYAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ.

I'm thinking this thread is a lot better suited for the Visual Arts forum. Perhaps a mod can help you move it there.

Research is a very important part of game development, anyway, so embrace the practice you get now. Good luck! :)

You seem to have missed shopping districts, subways/train stations, and the simple fact that a lot of a city is very much a faceless street of houses... which is in its self an area of the city (Just regular high density residential).

You seem to have missed shopping districts, subways/train stations, and the simple fact that a lot of a city is very much a faceless street of houses... which is in its self an area of the city (Just regular high density residential).

All of the districts in the city will have shops in them

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement