What is the easiest way to show effects(ice, fire, thunder, etc...) in directX11?

Started by
1 comment, last by markypooch 8 years, 10 months ago

I'm making an 3D action game and I need to show effects like fire or ice.

I'm thinking of using 2D atlas animation but I think this doesn't match with 3D game.

And also using basic particle system that DirectX11 provides. but it's really hard for me to use this.

Do you guys have any tutorial of this?

or is there another easy way to do this?

plz help me : )

Advertisement

Effects, especially realistic ones, are hard to do from scratch; there is no way around that. Usually, the effects you listed are implemented as a creative mix of billboards, particles, shaders and textures.

However, engines like Unreal already implement most of the effects you listed. Ask yourself, are you writing a game or a game engine?

Niko Suni

It sounds as though you are using a method similar to that of one of the rastertek tutorials for fire. Having implmented it myself it produced an amicable result for a minimal amount of coding/effort.

However, you could try volumetric rendering with spherical billboards. The groundwork for the effect is layed out in ShaderX5, though im sure there is other relevant information to it in other publications.

Marcus

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement