People, time and engine for this?

Started by
3 comments, last by Servant of the Lord 8 years, 10 months ago

Hi i'm a 3D modeling and Animation student right now and I have an idea for a game I want to make. Was hoping to ask how many people and how long would it take to make a game like Dungeons of Dredmor? Thats about the closest game to the type i'm hoping to make though i'm hoping to make mine out of 3D models done at an angle like Diablo 3 and Path of Exile but still being turn based. I know more people would make it faster but i'm thinking lower person count. Maybe 3ish people or so. Also what type of engine would I be looking at?

Advertisement
"How many people" and "how much time" are Production/Management questions - we have a forum for that. But "what engine" is definitely a For Beginners question.

Your statement "more people would make it faster" is true, but only up to a point. There's the "mythical man-month" principle. (One woman can make one baby in nine months; you can't add eight women and make that baby in one month.)

That said, if you have 3 people to make a game that was made originally by 100 people, you can expect it will take a very long time indeed. I don't know anything about this game you mentioned (don't know how big a game it is, what platform it's on, how many people worked on it, how much time it took). But in general, a professional-quality PC game will take at least 9 months to 2 years for a full team (probably longer for 3 student amateurs).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

"How many people" and "how much time" are Production/Management questions - we have a forum for that. But "what engine" is definitely a For Beginners question.

Your statement "more people would make it faster" is true, but only up to a point. There's the "mythical man-month" principle. (One woman can make one baby in nine months; you can't add eight women and make that baby in one month.)

That said, if you have 3 people to make a game that was made originally by 100 people, you can expect it will take a very long time indeed. I don't know anything about this game you mentioned (don't know how big a game it is, what platform it's on, how many people worked on it, how much time it took). But in general, a professional-quality PC game will take at least 9 months to 2 years for a full team (probably longer for 3 student amateurs).

Dungeons of Dredmor is a Turn Based 2D rogue-like dungeon crawler by Gaslamp Games, its on steam. Their company was founded in 2010 and has 3 people in it and the original game went on sale a year and a half later roughly though idk if that means they made it in a year and a half or if dev started before that.

But yeah what engine would I be looking at to make an "action RPG camera" (idk how else to explain that camera perspective lol) that was instead turn based? I also want the ability to for example have computers in the game that are useable/hackable to open doors with the right character skill points and stuff like chemistry that you can mix stuff together that you gather and make potions with certain effects.

Dungeons of Dredmor is a Turn Based 2D rogue-like dungeon crawler by Gaslamp Games, its on steam. Their company was founded in 2010 and has 3 people in it and the original game went on sale a year and a half later roughly though idk if that means they made it in a year and a half or if dev started before that.

But yeah what engine would I be looking at to make an "action RPG camera" (idk how else to explain that camera perspective lol) that was instead turn based? I also want the ability to for example have computers in the game that are useable/hackable to open doors with the right character skill points and stuff like chemistry that you can mix stuff together that you gather and make potions with certain effects.

Pretty much any modern engine can do that, If you're going to involve other people it might be a good idea to use whatever engine they have experience with.

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Because 2D game logic varies alot more than 3D game logic, most 2D games aren't created using an "engine" (but there are some, like GameMaker. People have also been making 2D games in 3D engines). It still involves alot of programming regardless.

For 3D games, there are several options - the popular choice nowadays is Unity, or Unreal.

The people who made Dungeons of Dredmor already had multiple years of hobbyist experience and several smaller (potentially unfinished) projects under their belt before they finished Dredmor. They didn't form a company and start making a game - they started making a game, and after multiple years of confusion and false beginnings, they formed their company after the game was finally starting to shape up. And then it took them more years just to finish it.

But don't take my word for it... the artist at Gaslamp used to be an active part of this community (last logged in 3 months ago). His journey, from 2007 onward, including when he joined the development of Dungeons of Dredmor, is documented in his old GameDev.net Development Journal. Skip to the beginning - in 2007 - and you'll see the journey has been longer than you might have assumed.

Here's a journal entry, mentioning Dredmor by name and showing screenshots, when he joined in 2008. And this person joined the project when it was already quote "85% done". happy.png (a common gamedev joke is that the last 10% takes 90% of the time)

He wasn't an expert when he began, and learned along the way, but in 2007 he said his journey began still earlier with at least two prior (potentially unfinished) projects and alot more modding experience as well.

So, yes, by all means you should begin working on a project. By all means you can learn as you go. But it is unlikely you will complete a larger polished finished project in a year and a half if this is your first venture into game development. You can finish a smaller unpolished not-as-good project in a year and a half, but the game you are currently imagining will take alot longer. Even with a small team of other developers. Even if they are semi-experienced. sad.png

It's important to understand this in your planning, because it'll probably take you 4 years (unless you majorly cut back on your goals), so you don't want to quit your job and go full-time indie quite yet. Well, you're in college, but you get my point. smile.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement