The new 'Disallowed topics' rule

Started by
103 comments, last by Kylotan 7 years, 4 months ago

On the other hand, we had quite a few members, moderators included (with great civility, I might add), expounding dubious opinions supporting various forms of discrimination. That's far more problematic to my mind, than a few bruised egos over impolite posts.

Which somewhat brings up a problem; if something is brought up and done so in a manner which is not directly insulting do you do something about it?

If we have these topics and we don't allow dissenting voices then what is the point? If people can remain civil while putting across points you don't like, well, you don't have to agree with them but not allowing them to say them... I guess you might as well just have a bunch of closed threads for each topic with happy nice things in it. An echo chamber of 'we all agree!' helps no one.

And, while I'm verging into the 'slippery slope fallacy' here, I do feel an aspect of 'where do you stop?'.

I mean, lets take religion; I hold strong views on this, but my views probably don't match a large portion of those from the USA. So if there is a thread regarding it do they have to stop because I dislike their side or do I have to stop because they dislike mine? I would argue there is a 'clear right side' on this but society in different countries handles it differently.

To a degree its the same with race; the USA has massive racial problems (as seen by an outsider), and while the UK is not a land of everyone-hold-hands-and-get-along either our problems are different and thus our reactions and thoughts on things are different; do you censor someone because their view point or observations do not match the often US-centric nature of this forum?

----
Related to the topic at hand and not the post I quoted above my only "fear" if you like is that one day one of these topics is going to attract The Mob.
I don't mean just the GGers, I mean The Mob which can show up from either "side" if you say something wrong or put forward a viewpoint they dislike - I have seen "feminists" rip in to someone for giving their professional option on someone's work.

Honestly I fear that can happen here.

Personally I have no real stake in this if I'm honest; I'm a White Dude so to many I'm already The Enemy and The Problem and I've given up trying to engage in any of it - ironically I don't feel "safe" doing so largely because of the aforementioned mobs.

Have them, don't have them.. but if we are having these topics then allow all view points; an echo chamber of agreement serves no one.
Advertisement

On the other hand, we had quite a few members, moderators included (with great civility, I might add), expounding dubious opinions supporting various forms of discrimination.

Dubious opinions, surely we've all been there :]

I don't see *direct* support for discrimination. I don't think we have overt racists, sexists or other bigots here - certainly we have had a consistent policy towards such behaviour for a long time. I see the usual spectrum of ingrained or sub-conscious discriminatory thinking at work - I include myself in this.

The hard truth, however, is that when it comes to discussions of topics such as racism and sexism, right and wrong are very clearly defined.

Agreed, but it seems like not everyone agrees on those definitions. Perhaps it would help to decide on the definitions our community wants to represent and make that position clear.

I don't share your view that these things are so clear cut. For me, most of the problematic content is not in the absence of such definitions, but in the grey territory that surrounds such issues.

Are personal anecdotes, "I'm white, straight, male but didn't have it easy...", racist or sexist? Is questioning whether affirmative action is effective or sustainable not allowed? Maybe someone is really concerned with the ethics of games press release printing, sorry, journalism...

None of these feel absolutely unacceptable to me, only with context could we say that a post containing such ideas represents something worthy of moderation.

I don't think brainstorming definitions is going to help with cases like these. Personally, I see little value in such an exercise. In fact, I'd be a little apprehensive that a crowd sourced definition of what the majority of the community "wants to represent" might not give due consideration to the very minorities that we're talking about.

I, for one, would rather the site not offer a platform upon which those on the wrong side of history may expound their misguided opinions.

I'd guess we're all on the wrong side of history. In a few generations they will probably look back at something that we don't give a second thought to, and be horrified that we couldn't even see it as an issue.

With that in mind, I'd advocate a certain level of tolerance to those you disagree with. Perhaps instead of "offering a platform [to] expound", what we have is a platform to educate? To quote Oluseyi's response:

The fate of these causes is never "decided," anywhere. Change is individual, aggregated. That's why discussion about them is so important: because it's the vector for that individual change.

eI'd be a little apprehensive that a crowd sourced definition of what the majority of the community "wants to represent" might not give due consideration to the very minorities that we're talking about.

Yes, you're right, thanks.

Perhaps instead of "offering a platform [to] expound", what we have is a platform to educate? To quote Oluseyi's response:[...]

Yes! Exactly what we would ideally like to achieve. We do need to allow all (reasonable) viewpoints to achieve this, as long as they're kept civil.

Perhaps a limit of some sort on posts that are effectively "me too" so that no one view is allowed to dominate and push minorities out.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Perhaps a limit of some sort on posts ... so that no one view is allowed to dominate and push minorities out.

Yes, this is the key point.

When Oluseyi is our token diversity in these conversations, it's a little hard to watch the other side rack up twenty posts before a single response is marshaled.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

do you censor someone because their view point or observations do not match the often US-centric nature of this forum?

Moderators (and likely anyone carrying a rating in the thousands) are, like it or not, held to higher standards than regular community members, and their voices carry weight, even when they don't intend them to.

We clearly take issue with a user who routinely posted incorrect technical information, due to not having consulted sources. Why then would we not apply the same standard to political and social discussion?

In several of these threads I have successfully disputed the opinions of pillars of the community, by referencing the first five results of a google search. In any of our technical forums, that would result in a chorus of LMGTFY, and derision. Yet somehow, when it comes to sexism or racism, expounding uninformed opinions is ok?

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

In several of these threads I have successfully disputed the opinions of pillars of the community, by referencing the first five results of a google search. In any of our technical forums, that would result in a chorus of LMGTFY, and derision. Yet somehow, when it comes to sexism or racism, expounding uninformed opinions is ok?

Phantom raises a point I find interesting - GDNet is open to people of many nations and cultures, or it was last time I checked. At the risk of sounding inflammatory, are you saying that viewpoints and observations that are not US-centric are "uninformed opinions" and that a user need "consult sources" on the particular ways in which sexism and racism manifest in American culture before posting on GDNet? What about worldviews that are Canadian-centric, or German-centric, or China-centric, and are founded in the myriad problems that present themselves there? Sexism and racism do manifest in different ways across different cultures and the cultural assumptions in US or even Western-centric discourse do not necessarily apply to all circumstances. The US is not the world, the West is not the world.

How are we to reconcile these differences? Could it be as simple as clarifying the context whence one derives a viewpoint before expressing it, or do we need something more than that?

[...] are you saying that viewpoints and observations that are not US-centric are "uninformed opinions" and that a user need "consult sources" on the particular ways in which sexism and racism manifest in American culture before posting on GDNet? [...]

Obviously I'm not swiftcoder and this may be off-base, but I feel like he may be talking about instances where people provide some particular statistic ("x% of <some group of people> do <something>) or quantifiable statement ("the majority of "some group of people" do <whatever>") without verifying correctness. These sort of statements are often made on instinct or extrapolated from a limited personal experience, but there are often more accurate numbers available with a quick search. In these cases we might improve the conversation by encouraging (or requiring) that people find a cite a source before making such claims so as to avoid numbers that simply aren't accurate, or as you said in some cases it may simply be a matter of specifying for what region/culture/gender/group/whatever a certain statement is meant to apply.

It may for example be accurate to say "x% of people do <something> in <country>" and we might even then discuss why the number is different for that country than for another, whether we think it is better or worse or simply different without necessarily being better or worse, but when someone says that "x% of people do <something>" with no qualifying statement and without verifying that those numbers actually hold true outside of their own potentially limited experience it can potentially lead to arguing or people getting offended when their own experience differs.

- Jason Astle-Adams

How about a new set of guidelines specifically for controversial topics? The new guidelines would link to the current rules as well as being linked from the current rules, and would provide additional guidance and stricter rules for these sort of topics. Ideally, these guidelines will also provide a slightly less subjective framework moderators can use to make decisions in these topics.

The full content is still to be decided, but as a rough first draft amongst other content it will probably include something similar to the following if people would like to give feedback:

Please provide any relevant context for the context of your posts. The country you live in, culture you are part of, industry you work in, or personal details such as your age, race or gender may impact your experiences. Remember that the majority of our members are white males from the United States or other western nations and their experiences will be based upon that, and if your situation is different that will impact your experiences.

Example: A member who lives and works in Japan or India may experience a different work culture than their US-based counterparts, and their employers and fellow employees may have different expectations of them.

Before posting any statistics or comparisons please do a quick search to verify that you are correct, and consider citing reliable sources in your post so that the information can easily be verified. Such numbers are often guessed or are estimated based on a person's limited personal experience rather than being based on actual research, and properly researched numbers rather than guesses will result in a more enlightening conversation.

Example: Someone might post something like "almost 40% of management are non-white". This may well be true in the limited context of the poster's specific workplace, but isn't necessarily true for the entire industry, and accurate statistics can often be found with a simple search. Also remember the point above about context, and be sure to mention if statics are specific to a certain country/culture/group/etc.

Please ensure you're making a real contribution and adding something new to the conversation. We can only have an enlightening grown-up conversation if different viewpoints are allowed, and this can't happen if the majority of posts are from a single point of view. If after writing your post you find that you're just posting to agree with others and haven't added anything new to the conversation consider revising or cancelling your post.

If too many "me too" posts from a single point of view are posted without waiting for alternative views to be represented then some posts may be edited or removed to improve the balance of the conversation.

This is really just spit-balling some ideas that might help to meet our goals, so of course it's all still up for discussion and alternation before we decide to make anything more official. It's also not complete and more additions might be needed. Alterations or additions to the existing rules are still also on the table, as are other policy changes.

- Jason Astle-Adams

The thing is you can find a source for any position on any topic on the internet that claims to be definitive, and people will just devolve to insulting other sources. For example,

"The holocaust was good because Jews want white genocide!"

http://www.goodnewsaboutgod.com/studies/political/jews/whites.htm

http://whitegenocideproject.com/what-anti-whites-say/

http://andrewcarringtonhitchcock.com/Jewish-Genocide-Of-The-White-Race---CASE-CLOSED.php

The next post would be pretty much guaranteed to be dismissing the sources (or a ban).

Oberon has a great point too. I think there's large cultural differences that most would see as extremely inflammatory. For example, if I remember correctly we have many users from India, right? Being gay's still illegal in India. Could a user from India even say they support that law? He wouldn't be inherently wrong, because most of India does support that, and they're a democracy. But would he be shouted down for his opinion here?

If we're going to try resolving that through sources, the primary source (Indian government)'s position is

"Homosexuality is a social vice and the state has the power to contain it. [Decriminalizing homosexuality] may create [a] breach of peace. If it is allowed then [the] evil of AIDS and HIV would further spread and harm the people. It would lead to a big health hazard and degrade moral values of society."

So we're back to insulting sources.

I'd contend that the majority of the community doesn't actually want a truly global viewpoint on every topic, so over-engineering a solution to provide that probably isn't a good idea.

I think we should tailor the site to a westernized viewpoint/western issues, and explore a community oriented solution, whether that means special thread types with guidelines posted at the top, or only allowing so many posts per page per person.

The thing is you can find a source for any position on any topic on the internet that claims to be definitive, and people will just devolve to insulting other sources.

Let's be very clear that when I say "sources", I generally mean either peer-reviewed publications, or publications widely regarded for their journalistic integrity. Not some crackpot webpage on the interwebs (and I'm including sensationalist news sources in this category: the Inquirer, the Daily Mail, Fox News, etc).

However, discussing the veracity and provenance of sources is the essence of intellectual discourse. If you have a bunch of sources supporting your position, I'm happy to dispute them on their relative merits - even crackpot sources are a sight better than having to dispute someone's half-formed opinions.

At the risk of sounding inflammatory, are you saying that viewpoints and observations that are not US-centric are "uninformed opinions" and that a user need "consult sources" on the particular ways in which sexism and racism manifest in American culture before posting on GDNet?

I don't know where you got the idea that my views are US-centric (I live here at present, but I'm not from here, and my views don't align, for the most part, with those of americans).

But no, I'm saying that if you are stating opinions, without ever bothering to go read the relevant literature (be that for your own locale, fine), then you are indeed uninformed.

I raise this very specifically, because of the extra credits racism thread. You will note that many of the respondents were posting under the implicit assumption that the US population is majority white-male. Which should be obviously bunk to anyone who stops and thinks about the math, but it wasn't until I posted a graph demonstrating this on the second to last page, that everyone stopped and thought about it...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement