Redistribution speed

Started by
12 comments, last by sunandshadow 8 years, 8 months ago

So I think in reality you have to handle only 2 scenarios:

1. Acquisition of new planet

2. Sudden loss of population.

In the first case you don't want too fast fortification (at least I think so :) ) then in my opinion fixed growth could be the best (like 100 battalions every turn up to 1000 for maximum fortification after 10 turns). This can force the player to expand carefully as new planets will be vulnerable.

The second can happen when player looses 3-4 high population planets on the same turn. As the result (s)he has already in use more battalions than (s)he can handle. In that case I wouldn't just drop the number as it can leave player open to attacks everywhere. Instead maybe decay current number of battalions by 5% per turn - or something like that but percentage rather than fixed value. As the result defense on all planets would slowly decrease (probably by that 5% per turn) leaving time to get those planets back.

That way player may avoid nasty effects of sudden drop of defense to 40% on every planet in one turn then having to slowly rebuild it because of fixed mechanic in p.1

Every other scenario shouldn't matter that much as population level shouldn't be that spiky, right?

Advertisement

Is the player able to set the number of battalions that should be on a planet? I'd want more on border planets, less on interior ones.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Is the player able to set the number of battalions that should be on a planet? I'd want more on border planets, less on interior ones.

Yes, there is a priority system (I didn't want to complicate the example).

The second can happen when player looses 3-4 high population planets on the same turn. As the result (s)he has already in use more battalions than (s)he can handle. In that case I wouldn't just drop the number as it can leave player open to attacks everywhere. Instead maybe decay current number of battalions by 5% per turn - or something like that but percentage rather than fixed value. As the result defense on all planets would slowly decrease (probably by that 5% per turn) leaving time to get those planets back.
Yeah... Separate variables for current max recruits in the army and potential max recruits from the population. Then the current is adjusted by +/-5% to gradually match the potential.

SPEED:

I think I will just do "reinforcements = max battalions a highest priority planet needs / 5", so low priority planets would be reinforced fully in one turn while high priority ones would take up to 5 turns. So basicly each planet gets fixed +X battalions per turn maximum.

Or something like "planet reinforcements = number of total troops empire wide / number of planets total / 10".

And the would be technologies/investments to up that number (+Y%).

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

SPEED:

I think I will just do "reinforcements = max battalions a highest priority planet needs / 5", so low priority planets would be reinforced fully in one turn while high priority ones would take up to 5 turns. So basicly each planet gets fixed +X battalions per turn maximum.

This seems reasonable. You might also allow the player to pay something to increase reinforcement speed - seems like that would match other settings your game has, like for archeology IIRC.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement