Flowing water is indeed in Mars.

Started by
38 comments, last by FGFS 8 years, 7 months ago

There is no drinkable water on Mars. It's filled with brine, which is just another word for salt water. So, I hope you enjoy drinking salt for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Tasty.

Well, if that is the only problem, then it's a no-brainer. Modern filter systems (reverse osmosis, nanofiltration) work on a level where you can remove salt rather trivially. It's still a tidbit expensive for home use (although you can afford it if you really mean to drink pure water -- yank out some fifty, sixty grand and you're sold!) but compared to the cost for making a trip to Mars, this would be insignificant.

Also note that distillation, which is energy intensive but an otherwise trivial and cheap process to remove salt (energy is abundant that close to the sun!) is a process that has been known to man for centuries.

I really see radiation and lack of atmosphere as much more limiting factors than a little salt. That, and the black ooze left behind by the Engineers.

Advertisement

I really see radiation and lack of atmosphere as much more limiting factors than a little salt. That, and the black ooze left behind by the Engineers.

Just saw The Martian last night, and the lack of any mention of radiation shielding or sickness was a little puzzling. Maybe near-future NASA has some really cool radiation-shielding duct-tape.

Eric Richards

SlimDX tutorials - http://www.richardssoftware.net/

Twitter - @EricRichards22

Probably radiation etc. is similar to the ISS. I believe Russians had people up there for longer than a year. Only solar storms are a danger which could be sit out in caves.

Didn't know that Prometheus is a prestory to the Alien series.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement