How do you pronounce 'ptr'?

Started by
42 comments, last by swiftcoder 8 years, 5 months ago

^ I need a font for farce. Maybe comic sans?

I didn't think your post was meant literally, although I can see how it came across that way.

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
Advertisement

Another good related question is "how do you pronounce "!"...

Some circles pronounce it "pling", then there's "bang" or "not"... ;)

No one else says "put-ate-er"?

The guy is Canadian. He says the word "array" like "a-ray" and not "air-ray". That's how Canadians speak, eh? :)

The guy is Canadian. He says the word "array" like "a-ray" and not "air-ray". That's how Canadians speak, eh? smile.png

Wait till he talks about a long putter to the aboot dialog box eh...

std::shared_ptr "stid shared putter"

Can you elaborate on why you pronounce that as "stid shared putter" when clearly the expanded name, according to its own documentation, is "standard shared pointer"?

I almost never write "National Aeronautics and Space Administration" in place of "NASA," either.

http://data.grammarbook.com/blog/abbreviations/abbreviations-acronyms-and-initialisms-revisited/

"STD", in this context, is an abbreviation, but is neither an acronym or initialism. It should be pronounced "standard". Now, if we were talking about sexually transmitted diseases, then it would be an initialism and should be pronounced S-T-D.

I'm not sure C++ needs to be restricted by prescriptive English grammar rules. smile.png

The guy is Canadian. He says the word "array" like "a-ray" and not "air-ray". That's how Canadians speak, eh? smile.png

... Non-Canadians don't say "a-ray?"

I'm not sure C++ needs to be restricted by prescriptive English grammar rules. smile.png

Maybe not, but "puter" and "stood" sound ignorant.

... Non-Canadians don't say "a-ray?"

I've always said "ah-ray".

pooter

"I would try to find halo source code by bungie best fps engine ever created, u see why call of duty loses speed due to its detail." -- GettingNifty

pooter

Isn't this what you make your games on? :lol:

No, no, I make my games on a cmptr.

(side note)

Why does this thread keep saying it has new posts? Does voting in the poll actually bump?

"I would try to find halo source code by bungie best fps engine ever created, u see why call of duty loses speed due to its detail." -- GettingNifty

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement