C++

Started by
25 comments, last by Alberth 8 years, 3 months ago
Advertisement

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some of the best online courses (paid of course) as well as books for learning C++ game programming. We are talking for a complete noob.

Any other efficient ways of learning are also appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Hello Ballistix,

Although you have not asked for books the experienced members here have provided you some great advise and recommendations. Here is an online paid course I would recommend, you might find it interesting as it using C++ and developing games. I own the course and although some of the content is old it is good quality and useful. https://www.gameinstitute.com/ (looks like they are doing an overhaul on the website and some elements are not displayed correctly for me)

P.S Looks like it is currently 50% as well, although the payment model has changed since I bought it. All new content provided is using c# and unity but you will still have access to the c++ content.

Kirk

I've removed some personal attacks and issued some warnings to a few individuals.

Insults and personal attacks will not be tolerated. Please keep it classy.

Also, remember that this is the For Beginners form, where additional rules apply: "This forum is for beginners to ask questions without being harassed because somebody more experienced thinks the answer should be obvious. Make sure your replies are helpful and guiding the beginner in the right direction, not taunting or flaming or insulting them."

I wanted to thank you all for your input. I ordered a bunch of books and will try to get to them in the right order, right after I am done with my Python stuff - which as many suggested, was the best bet for me to start before getting into C++.

Thanks a lot guys!

Also, one more thing...

Here is a list of all books you guys recommended. I try to place them into the right tier (T1, T2 and so on...)

Can you help me with the rest of the books I didn't place yet? Just quote and add a T1, T2 and so on, depending on which book you think should be in whatever tier. Also, if you feel as some books are redundant, please mark! Let's remember, we are talking about game programming.

Thanks a lot.

Bjarne's Programming: Principles

Practice in C++ 2nd ed.

[T1] Jumping into C++" by Alex Allain

Bjarne's The C++ Programming Language 4th ed.

Jossuttis' The C++ Standard Library

Code Complete 2nd Edition

Pragmatic Programmer

The C++ Programming Language reference book

[T2] Lippman's C++ Primer 5th edition

Scott MeyersEffective Modern C++, 2014

[T1] Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++ 2nd Edition

[T3] The C++ Standard Library: A Tutorial and Reference

[T4] The C++ Programming Language (as a reference)

Scott MeyersEffective C++

Scott MeyersMore Effective C++

Scott MeyersEffective STL

Scott MeyersEffective Modern C++

Pragmatic Programmer and Code Complete is for after you get a solid understanding of any programming language (they aren't language specific). Design Patterns (by the "gang of four") is another "after you get the basics down solidly" book.

Can you help me with the rest of the books I didn't place yet? Just quote and add a T1, T2 and so on, depending on which book you think should be in whatever tier. Also, if you feel as some books are redundant, please mark! Let's remember, we are talking about game programming.

You really don't need a bajillion books.

Since alot of those books have major overlaps, you get heavily diminishing returns for each additional book you buy on the same subject matter.

After you work through two of those books, you'll have a better understanding of what you've learned and what you haven't yet understood. The things you have trouble understanding would then best be learned through questions and discussion on these forums, and sub-topics and new topics you haven't yet explored can be recommended, and books targeting those new topics/subtopics can be recommended.

Even if someone offered you all those books for free, I wouldn't bother reading more than two of them before re-evaluating. You'll likely find that after you read two or three of them, 90% of the remainders will not be worth purchasing, and not even be worth the time it takes to read them, because it merely re-covers material you already understand well.

Basically, the books you listed fall into three categories: Beginner C++, Intermediate C++, and intermediate general programming.

The three I mentioned are important books to read irregardless of what languages you know - the information applies to dozens of different languages (but is irrelevant for some other languages).

Intermediate General Programming books:

• Code Complete 2nd Edition
  • Pragmatic Programmer
  • Design Patterns

(Another commonly mentioned is Mythical Man-month, but that's more team-focused, and I wouldn't recommend it as any kind of priority. It teaches more programming-team management rather than programming itself)

Then you have all these C++ ones. Which ones are "beginner" and which ones are "intermediate", I don't know.

Beginner or intermediate C++-focused books:

• Bjarne's Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++
  • Bjarne's The C++ Programming Language 4th ed.
  • Practice in C++ 2nd ed.
  • Jumping into C++" by Alex Allain
  • Jossuttis' The C++ Standard Library
  • The C++ Programming Language reference book
  • Lippman's C++ Primer 5th edition
  • Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++ 2nd Edition
  • The C++ Standard Library: A Tutorial and Reference
  • The C++ Programming Language (as a reference)
  • Scott Meyers Effective C++
  • Scott Meyers More Effective C++
  • Scott Meyers Effective STL
  • Scott Meyers Effective Modern C++
  • Scott Meyers Effective Modern C++, 2014

Of this second list, I'd suggest getting two beginner ones, and after reading them, re-evaluate what gaps you still have in your knowledge, and which gaps should get priority in being filled.

And even while reading these books, you still need to practice actually coding, and ask questions on the forums, and read other peoples' discussions even on questions you didn't ask.

@Servant of the Lord, I would say that The C++ Programming Language by Bjarne Stroustrup is better as a reference book than a learning tool. Just my opinion on it though.

If you want to do more reading, I'd suggest to switch to other subjects, like algorithms and data structures, or version control system.

Reading about, and using! another language is also useful at some point, it gives you a better view on strong and weak points of languages, and a better view of the programming landscape.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement