Should I give up?

Started by
25 comments, last by menyo 8 years, 1 month ago

I don't have frustration in learning and developing games, despite constant discouragement. So should I give up and just turn away from all these discouragement? Maybe I'm not meant to be because people say I'm not meant to be a video game developer? Who can be a video game developer?

Advertisement

Anyone can be a video game developer. Anyone includes you too. But I'll ask what everyone else will ask. Why are people saying you can't be a video game developer? More importantly, why are you even listening to those people?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Identify the thing you love the most and build your home on it, don't give up.

---Different people have different experiences. Their voices may help prevent you from trying everything on impulse.

You can do anything but can't do everything. Make your own choice, my friend~biggrin.png

I can tell you that most defenetley you can't be a game developer and I know that I'm right so you MUST quit it and be a lawyer.

Who can be a video game developer?

Definetley not you!

It's up to you if you're going to beleve me or not ^_^

Discover your passions, then follow them.

If you are passionate about music, follow your passion for music.

If you are passionate about law, follow your passion for law.

If you are passionate about medicine, follow your passion for medicine.

If you are passionate about gardening, follow your passion for gardening.

If you are passionate about acting, follow your passion for acting.

If you are passionate about making board games, follow your passion for making board games.

If you are passionate about making game software, follow your passion for making game software.

If someone says not to follow your passions then listen to their reasons, maybe they have useful warnings or guides, but remember that your passions are your own.

Be careful, because sometimes people confuse a passion for creating with a passion for consuming. Just because you enjoy eating gourmet food doesn't necessarily mean you will enjoy creating gourmet food. Just because you enjoy watching great acting does not necessarily mean you will enjoy being an actor. Just because you enjoy listening to good music doesn't necessarily mean you will enjoy creating good music. ... And just because you enjoy playing video games does not necessarily mean you will enjoy creating video game software.

If you want to create games then by all means do it.

who says you are not meant to be game developer? Why would they say that?

a) "being a game developer is not a valid career" - wrong. Many on this very forum have a successfull career as a professional game developer. It ca be hard to find a job though, you might (depending on your location WILL) need to work abroad, and there are certainly easier ways to earn your money.

b) "game development doesn't make any money... now get a job!" - partially true. It is harder to earn your money as a game dev. Many countrys have no true game industry to speak off, meaning you will have to look for a job internationally. There are quite some "black sheep" game studios that pay low wages for the amount of hours their employees work... these black sheeps can be found in every industry, but it is a regular complaint in game development.

Compared to some high-earning jobs, most game developers will have lower wages... though we are now complaining on a very high level, these are above average wages we are mostly talking about still.

c) "You are not cut out to be an Indie developer, and you will never finish your game (... now get a job!)" - mostly true. Your game project has a high chance of failing, and most probably you will not be making any money with it. If money is your end goal, Indie Game Development is not the best way to earn it. High risk of failure, low chance of monetary success.

You can still try your luck as an Indie. Again, many have found a way to stay afloat that works for them. Its just important that you face the facts, and prepare for the failures.

Question is: what do YOU want? Do you enjoy game development? Can you spare the time and energy for it, or is it sucking away your free time, making your grades fall, straining your relationship?

If you have to force yourself to continue to pursue game development, or your life suffers because of the issues mentioned before, take a break. Leave game development for 6 months or so and then see if you a) miss it, and/or b) you find the time or energy again to pursue it.

I don't have frustration in learning and developing games, despite constant discouragement. So should I give up and just turn away from all these discouragement? Maybe I'm not meant to be because people say I'm not meant to be a video game developer? Who can be a video game developer?

I remember when I started making games I felt a little discouraged because I saw what others could create and felt that it was out of my reach. Years later after just focusing on making simple games within my ability, I can now do the things that I thought I couldn't before. Just stick with it, your skills will improve, you can be a game developer.

My current game project Platform RPG

I remember when I started making games I felt a little discouraged because I saw what others could create and felt that it was out of my reach. Years later after just focusing on making simple games within my ability, I can now do the things that I thought I couldn't before. Just stick with it, your skills will improve, you can be a game developer.

This is very true. Game development can be tough, and it's easy to get discouraged, especially when you compare your skills to others', particularly in the beginning. Stick with it, you'll get better. If you DO stick with it, you'll make some cool stuff, and you CAN make a career of it.

I guess the first thing is to listen to your gust feeling and follow your dream.

If creating games is what makes you happy, then follow this dream.

Now, there can be many ways in which you can create or contribute to a game: it does not have to be coding; you could create audio, characters, the game concepts, etc.

The next thing is to meet like-minded people often; find a club or bodies who enjoy creating games, and get together to create something cool.

Las, but not least: be kind to yourself: this is a craft that you will learn steps by steps, and failing is part of the learning process. You will fail..that's inevitable but also part of the learning process. What makes a difference is what you learn from it and that you keep going.

So, I hope this helps.

- Pat

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement